Recently I bought my mum a Nokia Lumia 620, because for the price you get a good os and Nokia support and apps. Definitely the best budget phone in my opinion. And I was pleasantly surprised by Windows phone 8s app selection, not games, but apps. I noticed Netflix, Shazam, amazon mobile, MFP, Voxer, Skydrive, Viber, Sky Sports News, TV catchup, Spotify, Groupon, Vevo, PayPal, Domino's Pizza, IMDB, Audible, Trip Advisor, LYNC, Cineworld all had apps on the store that BB10 doesn't have.

Now I know reviewers of Windows phone usually comment in the 'bad' section how it has a limited app selection, but clearly it has a big upper hand on BB10. I feel BlackBerry needs to get these apps and match WP in order for it to become no. 3 OS with android and ios.

Even apps like LINE, KIK, WeChat which are on WP and BB10 have much better reviews on WP than blackberry 10 due to them being ports on BB10.

Windows Phone also has banking apps for the UK such as Natwest and Halifax. I think MFP is a huge app and needs to come to blackberry 10 very soon!

Windows phone itself as an OS is nice buy clearly has its limitations. When using it I couldn't help notice how bad the notifications are, in the sense that you can only have 5 on the lock screen and if you haven many apps then there is he possibility that you miss a notification altogether if it's not on the live tiles home screens. (especially if you miss the toast). Whenever opening an app from the home screen it also reloads the app, which is a bit annoying, and WhatsApp is also horrible on the os! ( I hear a big update is soon coming). I hear people say how windows phone is easy to use and bb10 is 'complicayed' however I think WP is harder to get accustomed to, with no app tray like all other os's. What do you think? Who has both?

BlackBerry I think is doing a good job in terms of games, with more big name games. It has world of goo, run in crowd, riptide GP, Stick Tennis and Cricket and Doodle Jump is coming. And any WP has, ie cut in ropes: experiments, bb10 is getting aswell, which is encouraging.

Anyway the post is a bit random, just pointing out the app difference between the two battling os's, and just giving my opinion on what bb10 needs. Less games, more useful apps( banking etc.)

It's also worth noting that for 180 quid in the UK you can get the Nokia Lumia 620 and the Lumia 520 is even cheaper, and when comparing that with the Q5 it would be hard to justify the Q5 especially with the greater app selection on the Lumia and Nokias support unless you really want that keyboard and are willing to pay almost twice as much for it.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 02:11 PM
    There's this Canadian mobile news site I follow and lately I've been seeing app releases on the typical iOS, Android and then BlackBerry but no WP version. No hate for WP though, I really want to try one. Keep in mind this is Canada but I was surprised to see this. But it's hard to realize that the releases are coming in fairly quick considering it's been out for 3 months. I have school assignments that are done in that time frame. Though everyone wishes for instantaneous.
    07-04-13 05:47 PM
    Netflix, Shazam, amazon mobile, MFP, Voxer, Skydrive, Viber, Sky Sports News, TV catchup, Spotify, Groupon, Vevo, PayPal, Domino's Pizza, IMDB, Audible, Trip Advisor, LYNC, Cineworld
    Canadian News Station. That doesn't surprise me.

However, the bolded apps above aren't necessarily region-biased and certainly are quite noticeable when missing.

It's not hard to get Canadian news without that app. It's hard to get Netflix without their app, though, or decent access to SkyDrive, or access Audible Audio Books, etc.
    07-05-13 02:10 AM
    Many of the ones you highlighted in bold were also on bbos and need to come to bb10 quickly, otherwise users will feel they have 'downgraded' in terms of apps available coming from the old platform.

With BBM going cross platform on ios and android, I think blackberry could have a very good bribe up their sleave if it is successful and people move away from WhatsApp. Because Windows phone would want it( BBM) BlackBerry could say we will develop if you make a native Skype app or bring skydrive etc. to Blackberry 10.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 09:16 AM
    I find windows phone app selection to be deceptive. I have used a nokia 822 on verizon, and many apps were not update from wp7 to wp8 (kik is one example). They became very frustrating to use because it could not take advantage of new features in the os. Also they became unresponsive at times. Because of the locked down nature of the os there wasn't an opportunity to load your own apps or make changes. I love that i can have android apps on the phone if I want to do that and overall they work. BB10 is by no means perfect, but I find myself less frustrated by the apps I do use and also enjoying some of the options. And the browser in wp8 is not very good and very limiting. I love the blackberry browser and use it often.
    07-05-13 09:33 AM
    Yes the os definitely is limited and feels that way. It really feels like a mobile os, which blackberry 10 doesn't at all, but feels almost like a fully fledged os that could run on desktop, tablet or phone. This is obvious from the browser speed, multitasking capabilities and cascades framework in BB10. I can't see any of this on WP.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 10:26 AM