First off, this isn't a topic about you telling me why I need to buy a BB10 device. It's a topic, however, expressing which platform is better and each strength and weakness of each platform. This way I can hopefully make up my mind in this debate.

Now, what I am looking for are three things. One, I want cool accessories like the PowerUp JBL speaker for the Nokia Lumia. In this case, I think the BB10 device could use this because it's going to have NFC and Bluetooth. But I would like to be able to buy into an ecosystem.

Two, I need my next phone to be a GREAT camera. Like the Lumia 920. Now this is something of a question mark for the BB10 device. Is it going to have just a standard camera or did they upgrade it similar to the way Nokia did? If anyone here had heard something, let me know.

Finally I would like a banking app for Ally. Currently neither platform is supported, so either way currently I have to go to the mobi site. Which is cool for now. But I would like to be able to have the app in the future because it's more secure snd easier. I think BB10 is morw likely to get the app because of the focus on business. But who knows.

Anyway, that's why I am waiting until Jan 30 to make up my mind. Once I see the vision RIM has I can then decide what I want. In the mean time let's debate and see what other aspects are good and bad for each platform.
    12-31-12 08:11 AM
    At least with BB you could sideload your Ally banking app. Just a thought
    12-31-12 08:14 AM
    First off, this isn't a topic about you telling me why I need to buy a BB10 device. It's a topic, however, expressing which
    Anyway, that's why I am waiting until Jan 30 to make up my mind. Once I see the vision RIM has I can then decide what I want. In the mean time let's debate and see what other aspects are good and bad for each platform.
    The usability of WP 8 is greatly diminished if you use Google search, because you CAN'T set Google as your default search provider. Your choices are Bing and Yahoo.
    12-31-12 08:30 AM
    What do you mean sideload?
    12-31-12 08:45 AM
    That's true. I don't really mind using Bing, I hate Yahoo, but I usually use Google. And the whole Gmail support for Microsoft EAS going away doesn't effect BB10, right? Because that is a huge factor for me since Gmail is my primary mail provider.
    12-31-12 08:48 AM
    What do you mean sideload?
    You can install android apps on BB10. Just check the forums
    12-31-12 08:55 AM
    "Finally I would like a banking app for Ally. Currently neither platform is supported, so either way currently I have to go to the mobi site. " THIS is going to be one of the big strengths of BB10 going forward. If the .mobi site is fully functional using HTML5 and gives you all the access and features you need, then why would you want or need a dedicated app that simply takes up memory on your device. Having remote apps like this saves you from the handcuffs of the app store. A lot of apps are simply shortcuts to the mobile site anyways. The HTML5 capabilities of BB10 will make using mobile web sites so much more attractive. And then developers don't need to fork over 30% of their profits to Apple. They can get their money directly from the user.
    12-31-12 09:05 AM
    You can repackage android apps and sideload them onto bb10. This will only work for some, not all android apps.

On gmail, we're seeing less support from google for os7 devices - removal of google sync, and some flakiness on playbook os2, ie not handling labels/folders properly through IMAP. Hopefully it will get resolved soon.
    12-31-12 09:06 AM
    I bet that sideloading won't be supported in released version of BB10. This capability in the PlayBook pissed off a lot of devs who had their property ported without permission.
    12-31-12 10:09 AM
    I bet that sideloading won't be supported in released version of BB10. This capability in the PlayBook pissed off a lot of devs who had their property ported without permission.
    Well if the developers weren't so lazy they would have ported it themselves. Takes an average of 15 minutes to a day for a more complicated app to get ready for the qnx platform. No sympathy here, i ported mine over in 20 minutes.

As for BB10 vs WP*. Look at 100 peoples phone on the street i doubt you will even see one windows phone. Microsoft has failed in the mobile market from day one and this will be no exception. It's the usual forced microsoft way on the phone and you can like it or leave it. If you want to own a Zune like device in a few years a person buys windows phone.
    12-31-12 10:17 AM
    You can install android apps on BB10. Just check the forums
    Ah, if that can work with Ally, that be awesome.

"Finally I would like a banking app for Ally. Currently neither platform is supported, so either way currently I have to go to the mobi site. " THIS is going to be one of the big strengths of BB10 going forward. If the .mobi site is fully functional using HTML5 and gives you all the access and features you need, then why would you want or need a dedicated app that simply takes up memory on your device. Having remote apps like this saves you from the handcuffs of the app store. A lot of apps are simply shortcuts to the mobile site anyways. The HTML5 capabilities of BB10 will make using mobile web sites so much more attractive. And then developers don't need to fork over 30% of their profits to Apple. They can get their money directly from the user.
    I know I am crazy and that it isn't necessary safer, however I just feel safer using an App then a browser. But I'm a crazy security person who works for a security company so it comes natural for me to want to be safe.
    12-31-12 10:25 AM
    Well since you keep saying like Nokia and like lumia I think you're already favoring them.
    12-31-12 10:30 AM
    camera on BB10 wont be as good as the Lumia, in my opinion.
    Banking Apps depends on how well each platform does.

But i would strongly advising against sideloading an Android banking app. Thats just asking for trouble
    12-31-12 10:42 AM
    I'm due for an upgrade and also am deciding between WP8 and BB10. I like wp8's Office integration and the way it works with Skydrive. Most of the reviews also point to the fact that it's a pretty solid OS. The live tiles are nice but there seems to be something lacking overall. Maybe it's me, but it seems like iOS with fancier icons. A new messaging Centre would help Imo. I'm a current bb user and if the new Z10 device is as good as the leaks seem to indicate then that's going to be my next phone. BB10 looks like what I wish my current BB phone was...a great business/productivity tool but with a good browser/camera/fun feature set.
    jakie55 and shads77 like this.
    12-31-12 11:45 AM
    Well since you keep saying like Nokia and like lumia I think you're already favoring them.
    Because of the camera, I am. I want to be able to take awesome pictures with my kids. I don't have a point and shoot or the money for a point and shoot AND a new cell phone. But then I remember liking WP because how similar it is to BB. I mostly do messaging and internet and that is where the BB10 device will do well.

So it's a wait and see attitude. And debate other features i may be forgetting.

I'm due for an upgrade and also am deciding between WP8 and BB10. I like wp8's Office integration and the way it works with Skydrive. Most of the reviews also point to the fact that it's a pretty solid OS. The live tiles are nice but there seems to be something lacking overall. Maybe it's me, but it seems like iOS with fancier icons. A new messaging Centre would help Imo. I'm a current bb user and if the new Z10 device is as good as the leaks seem to indicate then that's going to be my next phone. BB10 looks like what I wish my current BB phone was...a great business/productivity tool but with a good browser/camera/fun feature set.
    I am sure BB10 will have it's own office platform. But I do love OneNote.
    12-31-12 03:41 PM
    Nokia now owns the camera software company that licensed it to RIM...
    12-31-12 04:15 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I've been researching the 920 and it looks real solid. You see battery issues, but I don't know of a smart phone that there isn't a % of battery life issues. I think with in a short time apps will not be an issue with any platform, therefore I am going with the mobile device that has the best (according to me) os, communication abilities,stable, yak yak. I think that will be bb10, problem is it is not out yet so I can not compare the two.
    12-31-12 04:36 PM
    Because of the camera, I am. I want to be able to take awesome pictures with my kids. I don't have a point and shoot or the money for a point and shoot AND a new cell phone. But then I remember liking WP because how similar it is to BB. I mostly do messaging and internet and that is where the BB10 device will do well.

So it's a wait and see attitude. And debate other features i may be forgetting.

I am sure BB10 will have it's own office platform. But I do love OneNote.
    Sounds like you should wait until you can use both, if you can.
    12-31-12 05:32 PM
    Nokia now owns the camera software company that licensed it to RIM...
    It's not just the software. I it's also the hardware that makes it good in low light conditions.

Sounds like you should wait until you can use both, if you can.
    For the camera reasons, I most certainly will have to. But it's still fun to debate and listen to other point of views.
    12-31-12 05:45 PM
    Decision making is a bit easier if one is willing to jump ship to grab a phone they like on any carrier. But, I have two issues: low reception of ALL major carriers at my home, and I travel in Europe a lot. So, T-Mobile with wifi-calling is my first choice. The new IMS version could be used on the Windows Phones (but is NOT), while it HAS been integrated into the BB 9900. So, I'm expecting it to show up on the BB10. (BB has always had UMA on T-Mobile). Wifi-calling is on most T-Mo Android phones, which I have (with the Kineto version). So I am planning on upgrading to the BB10. As far as the Windows Phone goes, I do like it. But, w/o wifi-calling no thanks.
    12-31-12 06:18 PM
    Windows is a dirty word.........icky
    12-31-12 08:31 PM
    Not a fan of the windows phone ui. I'd rather have icons than those tiles and I enjoy having a wallpaper. With that said, I don't think there will be a huge difference in the cameras to be honest. Cameras on phones are getting pretty good but can't get too much better with current tech. The iphone takes really nice pictures but I'm skeptical of phones getting much better in the near future. All high end phones are going to have good cameras now.
    01-01-13 04:33 PM
    You do not trust your banking information to a side loaded app someone else other than your own bank converted. Ugh. If a banking app didn't come officially from them then no, just no.
    pungster likes this.
    01-01-13 07:05 PM
    Although I do like Windows Phone Live Tiles there are some shortcomings - notification handling being a major one. I think your question can only be answered once BB10 has been released - atleast by most of us, who do not have the Dev Alpha devices.
    01-01-13 07:05 PM
    I own a Windows Phone, OS 7.5. Nokia 900 while I waited for BB 10 to launch. I have my device reserved at Rogers atm, and although the Nokia is good hardware, I find the OS boring, as well as no backwards support when Windows Phone 8 launches to previous hardware. I can't wait for BB 10. MS and Nokia will get no more of my money.
    01-01-13 07:09 PM
53 123