With yesterday's major update to W10 taking the OS build version from 1909 to 2004 I have lost access to the BB10 Z: drive when phone is connected to pc via USB cable.
    I think it's a setting in Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > .. .. but have forgotten where to go next. And whether there's anything else that needs to be done.
    Can anybody help, please? Thank you!
    06-17-20 08:44 AM
    With yesterday's major update to W10 taking the OS build version from 1909 to 2004 I have lost access to the BB10 Z: drive when phone is connected to pc via USB cable.
    I think it's a setting in Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > .. .. but have forgotten where to go next. And whether there's anything else that needs to be done.
    From there in the dialog list, look for "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support". Turn Client and Server on by ticking the check box. I don't think you need both, but I forget which is needed.

Every Windows Feature update, like the one you got, resets that setting.
    06-17-20 09:00 AM
    Just remember there is significant security risk in doing so
    06-17-20 09:37 AM
    You can download LINK from BlackBerry and connect directly to PC. Works great.
    06-17-20 09:41 AM
    You can download LINK from BlackBerry and connect directly to PC. Works great.
    Only if you enable SMB v1 - which is a major security hole in Windows, and strongly discouraged.
    06-17-20 09:44 AM
    Only if you enable SMB v1 - which is a major security hole in Windows, and strongly discouraged.
    Odd. I updated to Windows 2004 and connected Z10 and PASSPORT via LINK and or BLEND with no change in Windows settings.
    06-17-20 09:48 AM
    Odd. I updated to Windows 2004 and connected Z10 and PASSPORT via LINK and or BLEND with no change in Windows settings.
    If you want file system access, you have to enable SMB v1. If you are just doing backups or syncing, you don't.
    06-17-20 09:49 AM
    As a minor comment I still haven't hit the correct combination of checks and unchecks that enables access to Z. I have a moderately strong memory that when access suddenly occurred under 1909, it was not as an immediate consequence of some switch I had tripped.
    However, the commentary on "security" seems to me to take overall priority, inconvenient as lack of access to Z is.
    I cannot remember the default settings. I think they were Auto Removal and one of Client / Server. Shall I turn everything off i.e. File Sharing Support and all 3 under that heading? What about SMB Direct (immediately below)?
    BTW, thank you for correcting "list" to "lost" in title I guess an Admin did that. Great, thanks.
    06-17-20 02:27 PM
    If you want file system access, you have to enable SMB v1. If you are just doing backups or syncing, you don't.
    Before someone blindly enables SMB v1 on their system I recommend you google 'is SMB v1 safe' or your own wording. Understand the risks associated with older versions of SMB. I have worked on SMB v2 and V3 in my years in the industry. Updates have been made to keep SMB safe. Just understand your risks.
    06-17-20 04:54 PM
    As a minor comment I still haven't hit the correct combination of checks and unchecks that enables access to Z. I have a moderately strong memory that when access suddenly occurred under 1909, it was not as an immediate consequence of some switch I had tripped.
    However, the commentary on "security" seems to me to take overall priority, inconvenient as lack of access to Z is.
    I cannot remember the default settings. I think they were Auto Removal and one of Client / Server. Shall I turn everything off i.e. File Sharing Support and all 3 under that heading? What about SMB Direct (immediately below)?
    BTW, thank you for correcting "list" to "lost" in title I guess an Admin did that. Great, thanks.
    I only turn on the two - Client and Server and that works for me for my Z10. I never turned on the "Auto removal" option.

It may take a few seconds to load the files if it's the first time enabling it after the feature update, and you might need to reboot. But I'm not sure.

SMB Direct is related to SMB v3, so it has no effect on SMB v1 or the ability to access the memory of a BB10 phone, so you can ignore that setting. On or off would have no effect on what you're trying to do.
    06-17-20 05:21 PM
    Before someone blindly enables SMB v1 on their system I recommend you google 'is SMB v1 safe' or your own wording. Understand the risks associated with older versions of SMB. I have worked on SMB v2 and V3 in my years in the industry. Updates have been made to keep SMB safe. Just understand your risks.
    Hopefully with the warnings, users will disable then re-enable immediately after a backup or sync. I've been doing this for a couple of years now with no ill effects, but your point is well taken.
    06-17-20 05:39 PM
    Hopefully with the warnings, users will disable then re-enable immediately after a backup or sync. I've been doing this for a couple of years now with no ill effects, but your point is well taken.
    I can only provide a warning. I have worked on SMB on and off for years depending on my position in the industry. I have seen quite a bit of misinformation about SMB v1 on this site. If people don't understand risk they should not enable out of date version of a protocol. People should not use SMB v2 let alone SMB v1. If you do have to use SMB v1, follow Brookie229's usage example. Don't get lazy and leave SMB v1 enabled after you have completed your backup and/or sync.
    brookie229 and ppeters914 like this.
    06-17-20 08:03 PM
    I can only provide a warning. I have worked on SMB on and off for years depending on my position in the industry. I have seen quite a bit of misinformation about SMB v1 on this site. If people don't understand risk they should not enable out of date version of a protocol. People should not use SMB v2 let alone SMB v1. If you do have to use SMB v1, follow Brookie229's usage example. Don't get lazy and leave SMB v1 enabled after you have completed your backup and/or sync.
    I agree. Use it for what you need, then disable it.

Thankfully, it's not actually needed for backups. Only for file access to internal and SD card memory. If you only need access to the SD card, turning on mass storage mode will work without enabling SMB v1.
    06-17-20 08:45 PM
    Thanks for all. Extremely useful and educational. SMB v1 definitely turned off. SMB Direct turned on (in case it's background useful for non BB stuff). Thanks for suggestion but I won't use Link or Blend (not that I fully understand the difference). The point about Z: was exactly that it was a drive, and one could run DOS (and Cygwin) commands on it. Link is no better and no worse than plugging in an Android or iPhone - some kind of avenue is provided to the device, bit it's not a %PATH% or $PATH. For me, through this thread, yet another unique and incredibly useful attribute of BB10 bites the dust (. I might try diverting everything to a pathway-accessible SD (books, music, videos, docs, ppts, pdfs) but it's not quite the same wonderfully sparse platform that has been provided by phone-alone.
    06-18-20 01:15 AM