Actually that was my thought first before I moved to Windows 8.1, but now that I am fully used to the desktop "apps", I fully see their use.

Windows does have some nice apps such as the native news, weather, calendar, and mail app.

For news, it saves you from going to each different news source websites, since you can add all of the news sources you want in the app. And the app gathers all the news from various sources into one app.

For weather, the app makes it so that you do not even have to click on the app because of the live tile. You just glance at the information in start screen; and you are good to go. No need to start a Internet browser, choose the address bar, and type in the weather website.

For the mail app, if you have multiple accounts, the mail app gathers and remembers all the log in information. I know there is an Outlook program for it, but it still cannot utilize the "live tile" to notify you of the new mail. And if you do not or require the extra functionality of the Outlook program, Windows Mail app works out well for the majority of users.

If we were simply comparing the apps and desktop programs, then I agree, desktop programs would be better. But because apps have live tiles in Windows 8.1, that makes all the difference for usability.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I do quite enjoy the windows 8.1 news and weather apps. But like I said, those are really best used in 'tablet' like devices (that take advantage of the Metro UI). I still need Matlab to be Matlab... in all it's boring 'programness' instead of some hipster 'app'.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 01:30 PM
    Yeah I do quite enjoy the windows 8.1 news and weather apps. But like I said, those are really best used in 'tablet' like devices (that take advantage of the Metro UI). I still need Matlab to be Matlab... in all it's boring 'programness' instead of some hipster 'app'.

Posted via CB10
    Well can still use that. It's not like they are going all modern apps.
    04-30-15 01:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes exactly! Apps will not completely replace desktop programs. But similarly, desktop programs cannot replace metro apps.

Also, while a touch screen is preferred for using Windows apps,it is completely serviceable with a non touch screen as well. With the Windows 8.1 update 1, it brought being able to close with an "x" at the top right corner.

For basic reading information (weather, news, calendar, mail) the ease of simpler app layout + live tile is beneficial.

However, for creation tasks, such as media editing and document work, I can see how we would have to use a proper desktop program.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 02:35 PM
    What will more than likely happen is that developers will make sure apps on other apps don't work from other sources like what endmondo currently does. Their apps on google play and amazon do not work on blackberry and you have to download it from the primary marketplace for that device.

Facebook may port their app to windows 10 but the google play versions won't work like the same treatment we get.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 09:10 AM
    Projekt Astoria seems awesome. But the problem I see is that ppl only port over their iOS android apps with a few clicks into windows 10 (phone) without much customizing. It's limited also, native win10 apps will.still perform more. They should concentrate on own app development, but with the potential of Win10 more developers will get interested.

IOS, Android and native Win10 apps on my Lumia then really no need for a android /iphone device. And extra digital camera not really needed anymore, phone enough.

Z10 LE 10.2.2.1609
    05-01-15 07:08 PM
    I think Microsoft Windows 10 can do much better adaption than BlackBerry. If windows 10 becomes usable of all android apps, I am sure, it's going to lead world soon.

Z30 10.3.2 thru CB10
    05-01-15 07:41 PM
    Microsoft is making a huge comeback, I'm already tempted to get a surface pro 4 and a lumia 940 running Windows phone 10 when they get released. I am getting a little bored of bb10 (will still keep my passport though)

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 02:27 PM
    Microsoft is making a huge comeback, I'm already tempted to get a surface pro 4 and a lumia 940 running Windows phone 10 when they get released. I am getting a little bored of bb10 (will still keep my passport though)

Posted via CB10
    "Bored with" BlackBerry 10?!? What is there to get bored with?
    05-03-15 03:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think being bored is such a bad thing.

Being bored means that BlackBerry 10 works reliably and we'll enough that you do not have to care about it excessively, not to get bored.

Being bored means that the phone simply works without you having to think about it.

To me, that is the best I can ask of any tech product.

Posted via CB10
    Nick Maiorano1 likes this.
    05-03-15 05:40 PM
    "Bored with" BlackBerry 10?!? What is there to get bored with?
    No new exciting apps. Android ports are poor at best. Always looking for a work around like no Strava but Casca run and a manual upload. No Microsoft band support ,always having to see or hope some device will work like jaybird blue headphones no volume or track skip support. One gets fed up.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 06:36 PM
    I like the direction that MS is heading. Although it isn't for me if BlackBerry was to ever get out of making hardware, Win10 phones, for me at least seem to be the best alternative.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2708
    05-03-15 06:54 PM
    I don't think being bored is such a bad thing.

Being bored means that BlackBerry 10 works reliably and we'll enough that you do not have to care about it excessively, not to get bored.

Being bored means that the phone simply works without you having to think about it.

To me, that is the best I can ask of any tech product.

Posted via CB10
    I will keep my passport for my work phone that's for sure, the core of bb10 is epic, but I'm starting to sniff what Microsoft are cooking so I need to test it out, hopefully I'll be back just in time for the 'slider'

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 04:39 AM
    Can't BlackBerry make such compilers that help make a native app at least with ios app code? They can simply replace the map code with open map data from so many sources including Google maps I guess and a lot of apps would start coming in.

The only problem is hub integration and maybe headless part. Don't know how it can be done quickly.

I am no technical guy just wanted to know if it is possible for BlackBerry to do the same?

Even I am kind of tired to look for an app in native world. Always check snap for latest.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 05:18 AM
    MS is building some interesting roads to their world. I'm liking what I read not to say I'm jumping ship. But I see they do get it.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-04-15 11:18 AM
39 12