Why can't BB bite bullet and fix Win 10.3 & BB Link incompatibility?

Its ridiculous that I need an old Win 7 computer to backup BB 10.3!!
    05-29-17 08:10 AM

Because link is dead, that's why. It went with OS 10.
    05-29-17 11:09 AM

BB Link works fine on my Win 10 machine and Z10 with 10.3.2.

Tell us more about your situation and maybe we can help you out.

Did it ever work for you on Win 10? Have you tried un-installing and reinstalling Link? Do you have iTunes?

Have you tried all the other previous suggestions on this forum about this issue over the past year?

Joel
    05-29-17 12:38 PM
    Yes it worked on Win 10 prior to last 10.3.3.1435 BB OS update. OS Version 10.3.3.2163.
    Have uninstalled/reinstalled Link as well as itunes.
    BTW I have BB Leap.
    Thanks
    Last edited by rgordon44; 05-29-17 at 02:48 PM.
    05-29-17 02:31 PM
    Sorry, I meant 10.3.3. I'm on 10.3.3.2205 (SR 10.3.3.1463).

ITunes has broken Link in the past. Renaming one of its files solves it. I don't know which since I don't use iTunes. The two big Win 10 updates: the Anniversary update last year and the Creators update a couple months back also kills Link. But, a simple un-install, reboot, and reinstall fixes that (if it worked before the update).

But, there are some instances where Link won't work and a resolution was never found. We don't know that the situation is that makes working impossible, but it's not consistent.

Joel
    05-29-17 04:09 PM
    I was trouble free until after a Windows update earlier this month. To resolve I uninstalled everything BlackBerry related, then rebooted. Then I downloaded and installed the Blend/Link/Drivers suite from BlackBerry and all was well again.

Good luck!!

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.3), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.3.1463)
    05-31-17 12:37 PM
    I was trouble free until after a Windows update earlier this month. To resolve I uninstalled everything BlackBerry related, then rebooted. Then I downloaded and installed the Blend/Link/Drivers suite from BlackBerry and all was well again.

Good luck!!

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.3), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.3.1463)
    The whole thing is a bit of a crap shoot. Link works for some people on Windows 10. It no longer works for me on that OS and the application crashes on a freshly installed Windows 7 PC.
    05-31-17 12:52 PM
    I have BB 10.3.3, not 10.3.2.
    07-09-17 05:31 AM
    For me it stopped working since I updated to 10.3.3

Even if you install windows8.1 it doesnt work

Posted via CB10
    07-09-17 10:12 AM
    Again, it's hit and miss.

I have a Win 8 Pro machine at work, and a Win 10 Home with Creators Update machine at home.

Both 64-bit.

Link works fine on both machines with my Z10 running 10.3.3.2205.

I'm not running iTunes on either machine, but I did have to uninstall and reinstall Link after the Creators Update in the Win 10 PC.

Joel
    07-09-17 12:45 PM
    I thought it worked on Win 7, not 8.1 and again, does work on 10. Mine works fine.
    07-09-17 12:46 PM
    Link hasn't been able to backup for a long time my end, which is quite concerning.

One of the most important things when running an old device is to ensure the data is recoverable when the inevitable happens, BlackBerry's failure to provide a suitable backup solution will be yet another commercial blunder.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-17 12:31 PM
    I thought it worked on Win 7, not 8.1 and again, does work on 10. Mine works fine.
    Link worked fine on 8.1, it's never been supported on 10 but has occasionally worked flawlessly.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-17 12:32 PM
    Argh, hoping someone can help. Lenovo, Win 10 pro 64 bit. Link installs, runs, recognizes my Classic, says it is connected, but I am unable to backup -- it says it can't connect to the device. But it also shows it as connected on the left side of the app. No iTunes. Tried uninstall/install.
    06-01-19 03:12 PM
    Argh, hoping someone can help. Lenovo, Win 10 pro 64 bit. Link installs, runs, recognizes my Classic, says it is connected, but I am unable to backup -- it says it can't connect to the device. But it also shows it as connected on the left side of the app. No iTunes. Tried uninstall/install.
    Try reading this link but not sure if that's your problem: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-10-a-1161054/
    06-01-19 08:09 PM
    Try reading this link but not sure if that's your problem: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-10-a-1161054/
    THANK YOU. I just tried it and no luck. It is so weird. My Classic shows connected. I try to update software and it correctly reads and tell me device is up to date. Trying to run backup it goes into calculating, then when it comes time for the actual backup it errors and says "verify that your device is turned on and connected..."

Very frustrating. I feel like I'm super close. Meanwhile, have kept my Win 7 machine around just for this purpose! :-)
    06-02-19 10:52 AM
    THANK YOU. I just tried it and no luck. It is so weird. My Classic shows connected. I try to update software and it correctly reads and tell me device is up to date. Trying to run backup it goes into calculating, then when it comes time for the actual backup it errors and says "verify that your device is turned on and connected..."

Very frustrating. I feel like I'm super close. Meanwhile, have kept my Win 7 machine around just for this purpose! :-)
    Are you using the oem usb cable that that came with your Classic? Try changing cables if not (or haven't done so) and try different usb ports on your PC.
    06-02-19 12:38 PM
    Are you using the oem usb cable that that came with your Classic? Try changing cables if not (or haven't done so) and try different usb ports on your PC.
    Yes, using the BB cable from the box. Also swapped and tried using the cable that came with my prior Classic, just in case. Still looks fine and then says make sure your device is turned on and connected. WiFi connection works (but I turn it off since you can't do a full backup via WiFi).

I just tried following this: BlackBerry 10 devices not being detected via USB to wipe out all traces of BB and restarted and installed from scratch. Didn't install Blend, just Link and drivers. Also checked to make sure firewalls are off or allow BB/RIM apps to get through. And also enabled SMB.

When searching for BB/Rim directories to delete I did see rimtunl*.bugz files from today, but I wasn't able to open them and read them. Maybe that's a clue for someone.

Thanks again for your quick replies.

I know I'm missing something simple.
    06-02-19 01:59 PM
    Hmnn ...... I've run out of ideas. Looks like you have been very thorough. As you have found out, Link is extremely buggy and unpredictable. Many have just not been able to get it working properly (if at all). It will be of little consolation to tell you that I've never had problems with it. It connects, backs up my old PlayBook, Z10 and my Passport. Takes about 5-7 minutes of waiting time to do so but works nevertheless. If I can think of anything else, I'll post here again but, like I said, it seems you've covered everything.

edit: With regards to cleaning your registry of anything BB or RIM, I have had very good success with a windows program called Revo Uninstaller, which I believe is about the safest way to play around with your registry.
    06-02-19 03:08 PM
    @brookie229, THANK YOU, I really appreciate the help. If you think of anything, please let me know. I am a tad frustrated and hoping I'm just not missing something simple.
    06-02-19 03:14 PM
    Virtualization works great to run abandonware...
    06-03-19 04:32 PM
    Virtualization works great to run abandonware...
    Virtual machines and USB passthrough is always a little dicey. As with many of these types of things, your mileage may vary.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-04-19 06:09 AM
    Virtual machines and USB passthrough is always a little dicey. As with many of these types of things, your mileage may vary.
    Ah yes indeed. Personally I had great success with qemu-kvm running on my Linux workstation, but i thought I'd mention virtualbox which is soo much easier to setup!
    06-04-19 06:13 AM
    Interesting thought, I wonder if someone smarter than me could make a little business out of this by offering a virtualzed BB backup service.
    06-08-19 04:52 PM
    Interesting thought, I wonder if someone smarter than me could make a little business out of this by offering a virtualzed BB backup service.
    Hey Arun,

First, I'm happy to help you back up your BB if you like entirely for free, as part of my service to the BB10-using community.

However, have you attempted re-enabling SMB1 on your Windows 10 box? Let me know if you haven't and need help. Do I gather that Link runs but won't back up or will it not even run?
    06-11-19 07:52 PM
47 12