Currently using ported android app which sucks. Does anyone know when or if Google will provide a native maps app?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 11:15 PM
    I hope so

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    03-16-13 11:17 PM
    My guess is very very unlikely. I love Google Maps as well so it would be awesome but I just don't see it happening. They might provide an Android port, who knows. That's bad news that the sideload sucks. When the android runtime is updated to jelly bean hopefully Google Maps sideloaded will work better than!
    03-16-13 11:29 PM
    You can also use the mobile Gmaps site as well, not as good as the app, but with our great browser it does work well.

JR
    03-16-13 11:47 PM
    Don't expect a lot of, or any for that matter, official Google app support until BB10 catches on and proves it's self in the marketplace.
    venious likes this.
    03-16-13 11:53 PM
    how do you port Google maps to the Z10?
    03-17-13 02:28 AM
    I'm not in the mood to do it < ask google not us

Posted via CB10
    Protocol 2001 likes this.
    03-17-13 02:33 AM
    The BlackBerry maps to me works best. Google maps still sometimes give incorrect routes from an iPhone and 9900.

Posted via CB10
    thekidshop and SDTRMG like this.
    03-17-13 02:35 AM
    the native navigation is pretty darn good. I have no complaints about it. However, on my bb5.0 phone, the built in map app's local search always gave me establishments' phone numbers as FAX numbers. Every damn single one of them! I swear I called 10-15 numbers for 10-15 different places, and every one of them was a fax machine. How the hell is that possible?

Anyway, I have not tried it yet for the bb10 version.. my hesitation is because of the 5.0 experience -- is it still like that? Google Maps itself on the desktop is fantastic for finding something, so I would like to see an app. Meow, someone above said: "You can also use the mobile Gmaps site as well, not as good as the app, but with our great browser it does work well."

I beg to differ sir! The browser version is *very* difficult to use as the map "window"/view is always too large for the screen such that you must move the browser around, but you can only touch outside of that window. As a result, if you zoom in and make the window cover the entire visible screen, you've screwed yourself and now can't move the browser space around because instead it moves the contents of the map window/view around. If there is a best practices for this, I would love to know it. I'd like to see the map alongside a list of my search results, and I don't think that's easily doable.
    04-11-13 10:07 PM
    how do you port Google maps to the Z10?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=766594 go here.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    04-11-13 11:11 PM
    I actually find the Web version a lot faster than the sideloaded one

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 CB App
    04-11-13 11:16 PM
    The Magellan Compass app allows you to use the Google Maps, or mapquest or open street maps or others. And it works on the playbook too..

Yeah.. from the ZED on CB10
    04-12-13 07:30 AM
    Until a maps app shows mass-transit stops like Google Maps, they are all inadequate IMHO. Plus directions with directional arrow while walking, riding or driving work best with gmaps, too. It does everything I need it to do best.
    04-14-13 12:32 AM
    LOL, it wouldn't come to Z10..

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 05:05 AM
    I actually find the Web version a lot faster than the sideloaded one

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 CB App
    Yep ive put a bookmark on my homescreen so when i need to use google maps, i just click on the icon and it takes me straight to google maps. Its much faster than the sideloaded app that i had but deleted when i put a bookmark on my homescreen.
    peregrineay likes this.
    04-14-13 06:41 AM
    Until a maps app shows mass-transit stops like Google Maps, they are all inadequate IMHO. Plus directions with directional arrow while walking, riding or driving work best with gmaps, too. It does everything I need it to do best.
    The Nokia maps mobile web app, HERE Maps by NOKIA - Mobile maps for Windows Phone, Apple iPhone and Android, gives public transit directions, and I've found it to be faster working in the Z10 browser than Google maps.
    04-14-13 03:53 PM
    The Nokia maps mobile web app, HERE Maps by NOKIA - Mobile maps for Windows Phone, Apple iPhone and Android, gives public transit directions, and I've found it to be faster working in the Z10 browser than Google maps.
    I use nokia maps too but I don't think it does transit stops as well as directions

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 08:06 PM
    One thing I've come to expect it that companies like Google, Microsoft, Nokia etc won't bring there apps to bb10 to try and stop its success, they know some people won't switch without these apps and that's there way of low balling BlackBerry.

Which is sad because Google used to support BlackBerry with everything, but with android out it the wild these companies wouldn't wanna help/awake a sleeping giant. BlackBerry was what android is today, there obviously no threat to android, but ios (which google profits from) and wp have more to lose.

Once these companies see there losing money not support the platform they will, but sadly not till then.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 08:50 PM
    I hope so

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    04-15-13 04:27 AM
    I'm happy if I get A good gas lock

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 07:38 AM

Anyway, I have not tried it yet for the bb10 version.. my hesitation is because of the 5.0 experience -- is it still like that? Google Maps itself on the desktop is fantastic for finding something, so I would like to see an app. Meow, someone above said: "You can also use the mobile Gmaps site as well, not as good as the app, but with our great browser it does work well."
    Lol you said meow! Lol awesome. I didn't even read the entire post let alone any other post in this thread. I skimmed through and seen meow.

Well done!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 08:57 AM
    One thing I've come to expect it that companies like Google, Microsoft, Nokia etc won't bring there apps to bb10 to try and stop its success, they know some people won't switch without these apps and that's there way of low balling BlackBerry.

Which is sad because Google used to support BlackBerry with everything, but with android out it the wild these companies wouldn't wanna help/awake a sleeping giant. BlackBerry was what android is today, there obviously no threat to android, but ios (which google profits from) and wp have more to lose.

Once these companies see there losing money not support the platform they will, but sadly not till then.

Posted via CB10
    Google will shamelessly follow the money, but they have, IME, shown a recent propensity to cut expenses with regards to development. IOWs, with regards to BB10, I'd bet Google would want yet another successful arena to get more eyeballs, but will wait to see the potential for ROI to increase.
    Wayne Hessel likes this.
    04-15-13 09:57 AM
    Does anyone know if the native BB Maps has a link-in with transit authorities like Google Maps? I live in BC and being able to look up TransLink SkyTrain/bus routes is super-convenient!
    04-15-13 12:43 PM
    Does anyone know if the native BB Maps has a link-in with transit authorities like Google Maps? I live in BC and being able to look up TransLink SkyTrain/bus routes is super-convenient!
    It doesn't.
    04-15-13 12:45 PM
    I really won't mind buying native Google map for 3 bucks. Awww.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 09:38 PM
31 12