So odds are, these two new 'guys' won't really make it either then?
    This means, unless someone comes out with some super freaky futuristic OS, then Android and IOS will dominate for many years...
    They don't have a snowball's chance in hell.
    If you didn't already figure that out I am probably wasting keystrokes.

Hmmm.... Are you in the market for some prime riverside property?
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 08-20-15 at 01:10 PM. Reason: add more sarcasm
    08-20-15 01:06 PM
    BB10 will never be open sourced. Wish I was wrong. Too much IP included in the source.
    Yes I agree, and a lot of licensed tech as well I believe. It would be like MS when they open sourced .Net, it took a massive effort to re-write licensed and proprietary secitons before they could release it.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-20-15 01:08 PM
    They don't have a snowball's chance in hell.
    If you didn't already figure that out I am probably wasting keystrokes.

Hmmm.... Are you in the market for some prime riverside property?
    Thanks for editing, I hate when the sarcasm is too low!
    Thanks for the warm fuzzies on my honest question too
    Yes, I just bought some ocean front property in Arizona so would love to invest in that too!
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    08-20-15 01:13 PM
    Thanks for editing, I hate when the sarcasm is too low!
    Thanks for the warm fuzzies on my honest question too
    Yes, I just bought some ocean front property in Arizona so would love to invest in that too!
    Ok I realize that was a bit nasty.
    I really think the added sarcasm softened the boot to the head though .
    Seriously though please accept my apology.
    08-20-15 01:20 PM
    All good, bondo in head dent
    08-20-15 01:33 PM
    So is mine...tomorrow
    Actually I'm going to hold out on returning it. I think there will be a BB10 version of the slider which means they will have to support BB10 for another year 'at least'. 12 months from now I'll reevaluate.

Posted via CB10
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    08-21-15 11:53 AM
    There won't be anything new for developers, so native apps won't grow
    This probably means the android runtime is getting one hell of a boost or were going Android for apps.
    I would be 100% happy with BB10 for core functions only:

Email
    Phone
    Text
    Calendar
    Reminder
    Contacts
    Browser
    Settings
    BBM
    File Management
    Camera
    Etc.

And then with Android for everything I choose to add aftermarket.

It's clear that BB10 is dead as an ecosystem, but it's by far my favorite platform for getting work done on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 and Avenzuno like this.
    08-21-15 01:01 PM
    Actually I'm going to hold out on returning it. I think there will be a BB10 version of the slider which means they will have to support BB10 for another year 'at least'. 12 months from now I'll reevaluate.
    Posted via CB10
    Interesting thought from you.

Indeed if they release a Slider with BB 10 and discontinue the OS support after a year, their reputation would be totally lost (after the PlayBook disaster).
    So, probably we'll see even a 10.5 within the next two years.
    08-23-15 06:54 AM
    They've just released the silver Passport, I don't think they're gonna take BB10 out the back and shoot it just yet tbh.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2339/SR .2226  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-23-15 07:09 AM
    I love how people say BB10 is a dead ecosystem....have ya ever tried to operate 4 email accounts on an Android?? Or even an Apple? A "notification center " is not even close to the same thing as the HUB. And as far as I know, businesses still rely on email.

Flying Spaghetti Monster. SQW-100-4. 10.3.2.2339
    08-25-15 06:50 PM
    I love how people say BB10 is a dead ecosystem....have ya ever tried to operate 4 email accounts on an Android?? Or even an Apple? A "notification center " is not even close to the same thing as the HUB. And as far as I know, businesses still rely on email.

Flying Spaghetti Monster. SQW-100-4. 10.3.2.2339
    Oh I'm sure the business that have BlackBerry 10 will still keep it. And BlackBerry is developing the Hub for Android. Similar in design, too. I'm sure they'll have a robust email app alongside it.
    08-25-15 07:04 PM
    I think the Mature bb10.3 IS works awesome and there are benefits to not revamping your OS every year. For one it lowers the variable costs on new device sales because your selling them without investing in the new OS. Secondly, your business class is not interested in new features so much as familiarity and functionality.

I was very surprised at how sloppy and inefficient Android is and so I think BB10 has a product that will win over loyal fans, though not a large demographic.

Android runtime is key though.

Posted via CB10
    JulesDB, kayuz6 and JORENO like this.
    08-25-15 09:10 PM
    have ya ever tried to operate 4 email accounts on an Android??
    Yes and it works fine, including notifications.
    08-26-15 09:37 AM
    Android runtime is key though.
    With GPS though. I just found out that my work requires me to install an Android app (because obviously no BB version) which won't run without GPS. I have run into this a number of time with apps I wanted to install for personal reasons, but now running into this with work phone kind of sucks.
    08-26-15 03:39 PM
    With GPS though. I just found out that my work requires me to install an Android app (because obviously no BB version) which won't run without GPS.
    ? GPS works great with Android Apps, from any Maps apps to the Amazon appstore itself... There is no reason yours don't. Unless... Did you install an Android app to change permissions ?
    08-26-15 03:54 PM
    GPS = Google Play Services.
    08-26-15 04:42 PM
    GPS = Google Play Services.
    Don't create new acronyms

I guess you try to patch the app ? If not, I let you search the forum. Now, I stop polluting this thread with off topic talk
    08-26-15 05:00 PM
    Yeah, I have seen that, but it looks like way too many hoops to go through for average use. I have seen the GPS acronym used around here few times. At first I thought they were talking about mapping too.

If I get some time on my hands, I may try to patch an app.
    08-26-15 05:32 PM
    Reading threads on here, I know it's all speculation, but looking at trends and the new slider possibly being android, do you guys think there will ever even be any major updates like a 10.4 in the future? It feels weird right now, when I use my Z30, almost like it's O.S. has already been put out to pasture.
    A major update? If you look at the big picture the answer seems no. BlackBerry 10 is neither BBOS 7 that lets the IT geeks in the office basement drill down to all that lovely techy gobbledygook in the submemus, nor was it ever going to be aimed at or appeal to lifestyle consumers looking to post selfies while drinking artisan ale brewed from locally and ethically sourced unicorn tears. So what is it? An OS that allows for productivity via its simplicity of use and flow. It will stay that way.

Look at the new lineup of phones. Aside from the Passport, it is a greatest hits album. The Android Slider is like when a rock legend collaborates with some young urban producer / artists. Bringing gravitas to a cartoon invented by a monolith...but ultimately the heady days of banging groupies while midgets carry platters of blow around the green room are over.

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-26-15 06:03 PM
    They've just released the silver Passport, I don't think they're gonna take BB10 out the back and shoot it just yet tbh.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2339/SR .2226  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    I don't see reasons to give away BB OS 10 for a good amount of time
    08-26-15 06:17 PM
    BlackBerry's silence on this issue is causing a lot of bad noise. I think they should make a statement sooner rather than later.

--STV falling from grace with his Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-26-15 11:13 PM
    +1 +1 +1

I actually returned a Passport because of their silence. Want to see what is up.
    Last edited by snowsquirrel; 08-27-15 at 12:20 AM.
    08-27-15 12:02 AM
    Trying to future proof your technology is a pointless exercise in frustration. Buy technology for what it does right now, with the assumption that it will be obsolete in 3 years. BB10 in its present form is a great product, and a new Passport should easily last you 2-3 years with its current features and apps. Even if BlackBerry stops developing BB10 it will still do everything it does currently.

Posted via CB10
    Joshu42 likes this.
    08-27-15 01:11 AM
    Everything you said is true. And if that was all there was to it I would bite the bullet. But a part of my concern is laying out almost $700 and then finding out that some critical apps don't run on my deprecated OS. I came across Pushover.net, and another I can't recall right now that my company wants to use, that simply don't work with BB10. I don't see that situation of companies not making BB10 versions of their apps, nor the situation of 3rd party BB10 developers filling gaps unless BlackBerry comes out and throws their support/commitment behind the OS for the future.

I'd be will to spend a few hundy for a new device and more of the sweet BB10 experience hoping that all the stuff I just said above is drivel, but $685 is more than this cowboy can gamble right now. I'll live with my aging BB10 handset until there is some certainty.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 01:25 AM
    Trying to future proof your technology is a pointless exercise in frustration. Buy technology for what it does right now, with the assumption that it will be obsolete in 3 years. BB10 in its present form is a great product, and a new Passport should easily last you 2-3 years with its current features and apps. Even if BlackBerry stops developing BB10 it will still do everything it does currently.

Posted via CB10
    There is an element of truth to this - specifically the part about any technology being obsolete eventually...

However, the reason I am turning away from BlackBerry right now is because while at the beginning the app situation was (very) slowly getting better, now it is rapidly getting worse. Devs are silently pulling out - Gameloft abandoned NOVA3 and left it in a broken state while they push their latest game just to make the last bit of money they can off BlackBerry 10 before I'm sure they too will cut their losses. Not to mention developer talk is pretty much silent and non-existent right now. Once again citing Bluenoser, BlackBerry told devs to target other platforms. Doesn't get much more gloomy than that. Well, it does, keep reading...

Unfortunately, admit it or not, a large part of a platform is the ecosystem and following that goes with it. The Nexus 5 that I bought shortly after my Z30 I know, while technologically will be obsolete at a similar time hardware-wise, will be software-wise actively developed for and have up-to-date apps for the long foreseeable future. As for my BlackBerry, what update notifications do I see the most? Amazon App Store. Pretty darn sad if you ask me. Waiting for an app or game update on BlackBerry right now, (according to news reports on the large number of fakers and ghost profiles), is like waiting for a "woman" to respond to you on Ashley Madison.

Investing in a BlackBerry seems to be a losing game at this time. But if you really, really want to, go ahead. Just be prepared for a PlayBook redux. I'm not willing to try again, I've had enough of danger, seeing everyone else in active smartphone development bliss on the street. (Okay, I borrow partly lyrically from a song.)

My next phone will probably be the upcoming Nexus direct from Google, my current Nexus 5 will become the backup, and the Z30 will become a relic. As for my like new Z10 rotting in the closet with its original box and accessories....hmmm...maybe the forum store awaits me.

--STV falling from grace with his Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-27-15 04:32 AM
162 ... 4567