I speculate that some of the more "enthusiastic" fans will be waiting a long time for 10.4
    08-15-15 02:47 AM
    Prove these points wrong.

* After three years of road map for new features of BlackBerry 10, they stopped providing a road map for developers. If they added something to the road map this month, it will be 6-9 months before anything is released. That means the platform will be stagnate for almost 18 months which you cannot do in the fast moving software world.
    * They have also posted that developers should supporting other platforms.
    * They officially stopped supporting Qt5 for the BlackBerry 10 platform but are supporting it for QNX. You can't move BlackBerry 10 platform forward when a major component of isn't being supported.
    * They also laid off the developers of the UX for BlackBerry 10.
    * You can also see in the jobs that they are offering, nothing to do with BB10, everything to do with QNX.
    If they released 10.4 with an updated OS with better android integration and services you wouldn't need a native cascades roadmap...even though the OS is BlackBerry 10. The changes would mostly revolve around the android runtime. This could totally happen and would allow them to release an OS without a developer preview.

Posted via CB10
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    08-15-15 04:09 AM
    If they released 10.4 with an updated OS with better android integration and services you wouldn't need a native cascades roadmap...even though the OS is BlackBerry 10. The changes would mostly revolve around the android runtime. This could totally happen and would allow them to release an OS without a developer preview.

Posted via CB10
    Still BB 10 needs more apps developed for the work space, and I if I would be a developer I would want to train my skills with Qt5, because this is the future.

If you are an enthusiast for oldtimers (repair works), you might want to visit Cuba from time to time, but it's hard to make a living with oldtimers (for most people).
    08-15-15 04:55 AM
    Still BB 10 needs more apps developed for the work space, and I if I would be a developer I would want to train my skills with Qt5, because this is the future.

If you are an enthusiast for oldtimers (repair works), you might want to visit Cuba from time to time, but it's hard to make a living with oldtimers (for most people).
    Yea but if android has the latest development tools where developers can push the envelope then they are still providing that signature BlackBerry 10 experience with the OS and plugging it into the android runtime where it's needed. For the record I'd prefer all native apps but that's not going to happen and I think a move to update their runtime and have it run headless and send push notifications to the hub among other settings would be a really good integration in terms of where I want to see BlackBerry 10 go personally.

I love the OS plain and simple, and I'd hate to see it get tossed simply because it's missing apps. It does 90% of what we need straight out of the box it's just those other 10% of things that require an app is where it needs a bit of help and I have absolutely no issues letting android handle that small aspect.

Posted via CB10
    KemKev, harshik and Dave Bourque like this.
    08-15-15 05:28 AM
    Yea but if android has the latest development tools where developers can push the envelope then they are still providing that signature BlackBerry 10 experience with the OS and plugging it into the android runtime where it's needed. For the record I'd prefer all native apps but that's not going to happen and I think a move to update their runtime and have it run headless and send push notifications to the hub among other settings would be a really good integration in terms of where I want to see BlackBerry 10 go personally.

I love the OS plain and simple, and I'd hate to see it get tossed simply because it's missing apps. It does 90% of what we need straight out of the box it's just those other 10% of things that require an app is where it needs a bit of help and I have absolutely no issues letting android handle that small aspect.

Posted via CB10
    When you look at it from marketing point of view,it makes sense that they've gotta kill that app gapp. Let's say the average Joe buys a blackberry classic and strolls over to blackberry world to install instagram or any other mainstream apps, he's gonna be in for a surprise, to find he has to purchase a buggy native workaround for the said apps.

I think we should embrace the progression and be less pessimistic about it, I only feel for those that have recently purchased a bb10 device if it's going down the same path as the playbook.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2339/SR .2226  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    08-15-15 06:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    I thought apks don't run in the work space (balance).
    08-15-15 07:39 AM
    well....how is battery life on 10.4??
    lol
    08-15-15 07:46 AM
    It is increasingly starting to sound like 10.4 will be released shortly after PlayBook OS 2.2...

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 08:25 AM
    Prove these points wrong.

* After three years of road map for new features of BlackBerry 10, they stopped providing a road map for developers. If they added something to the road map this month, it will be 6-9 months before anything is released. That means the platform will be stagnate for almost 18 months which you cannot do in the fast moving software world.
    * They have also posted that developers should supporting other platforms.
    * They officially stopped supporting Qt5 for the BlackBerry 10 platform but are supporting it for QNX. You can't move BlackBerry 10 platform forward when a major component of isn't being supported.
    * They also laid off the developers of the UX for BlackBerry 10.
    * You can also see in the jobs that they are offering, nothing to do with BB10, everything to do with QNX.
    I will take this one.....why do new apps show up in BlackBerry World almost on a weekly basis? Why does Chen consistently say he is staying in Hardware and Software? I think it is the rumor people who need to expand with proof other than colorful writing.

Flying Spaghetti Monster. SQW-100-4. 10.3.2.2226
    08-15-15 09:02 AM
    Attachment 366876

I don't think so... see this one, especially the finer details in smaller white text.
    They have been in the planning stages for almost a year now. That is terrible planning. The plan is to drop BB10.
    08-15-15 10:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    In your scenario, the OS would be just an emulator. They still need native development to write BlackBerry supplied applications. Plus, if you actually worked with BB10 phones in BES12, you cannot push out any apps to the secure work space unless they are native because of security problems. So that means BB10 phones in BES 12 will become useless. So even in your scenario, BB10 is a dead end.
    08-15-15 10:17 AM
    I thought apks don't run in the work space (balance).
    You are right. Only native apps can be run the in the work space. Even BB10 packaged APKs cannot run in the work space.
    08-15-15 10:19 AM
    In your scenario, the OS would be just an emulator. They still need native development to write BlackBerry supplied applications. Plus, if you actually worked with BB10 phones in BES12, you cannot push out any apps to the secure work space unless they are native because of security problems. So that means BB10 phones in BES 12 will become useless. So even in your scenario, BB10 is a dead end.
    Does this effectively mean that BES12 is dead too?
    08-15-15 10:19 AM
    They have been in the planning stages for almost a year now. That is terrible planning. The plan is to drop BB10.
    You've broken it down simply in your other posts but what do you think the best case scenario is?

For me I feel like if they go Android, they might end up like HTC.... unless by pure chance their "superior keyboard device, powered by Android" gives them enough of a boost to standout in the Android market. Are these the only 2 outcomes possible?
    08-15-15 10:20 AM
    I will take this one.....why do new apps show up in BlackBerry World almost on a weekly basis? Why does Chen consistently say he is staying in Hardware and Software? I think it is the rumor people who need to expand with proof other than colorful writing.

Flying Spaghetti Monster. SQW-100-4. 10.3.2.2226
    How many of those new apps are native apps? Very few. The traffic on the native programming forums in the BlackBerry website has crawled to almost zero. The articles posted to the development blogs on native programming have gone away. The last article posted was in April of this year. It is all Web and Android blog postings now. And this is on the BlackBerry website.

Chen can say that he is staying in hardware and software, and he can say this and still kill of BB10. Slider is hardware running Android which is software. BES12 webcasts are all about developing for Android and securing Android phones. I haven't seen any webcasts about BB10 and/or native programming in over a year now.

I have already given you proof about the future of BB10. BlackBerry uses Qt for it's framework. BlackBerry has moved to 5.x for QNX, but has stopped at Qt4.8 for BlackBerry 10 IS. It is both public at Qt and BlackBerry that they no longer plan to support going forward on Qt5 for BlackBerry 10. This means that future development is no more.
    wojt7 likes this.
    08-15-15 10:31 AM
    Does this effectively mean that BES12 is dead too?
    No. But BlackBerry 10 for BES12 is dead. BES12 is now designed to work with iOS, Android and Windows. BlackBerry 10 phones are now an after thought. If there is no future in developing native apps, then why buy BlackBerry 10 phones.

This is a stealth move by Chen to kill off BlackBerry 10. He has stopped work on native programming for BlackBerry 10. This has limited the usability of apps on Work Space. He has spent all his time making BES12 work better with iOS, Android and Windows than BlackBerry 10 phones.
    08-15-15 10:37 AM
    @Bluenoser93 Well said. Goes back to EMM and MDM: handsets are just another endpoint and asset to manage through a security platform. BlackBerry knows this and has been migrating to that space for some time, and it's a software space that needs to be agnostic to the endpoints it's delivering to. BlackBerry 10 logically has no future given the acquisitions made, and the targets for those markets.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 10:43 AM
    No. But BlackBerry 10 for BES12 is dead. BES12 is now designed to work with iOS, Android and Windows. BlackBerry 10 phones are now an after thought. If there is no future in developing native apps, then why buy BlackBerry 10 phones.

This is a stealth move by Chen to kill off BlackBerry 10. He has stopped work on native programming for BlackBerry 10. This has limited the usability of apps on Work Space. He has spent all his time making BES12 work better with iOS, Android and Windows than BlackBerry 10 phones.
    Sad but I guess you're right, no wonder Michael clewley channel has been dead for months

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 10:48 AM
    You've broken it down simply in your other posts but what do you think the best case scenario is?

For me I feel like if they go Android, they might end up like HTC.... unless by pure chance their "superior keyboard device, powered by Android" gives them enough of a boost to standout in the Android market. Are these the only 2 outcomes possible?
    I have tried all the mobile phone OS's out there. I also have a Windows 10 phone now. BlackBerry 10 is the best out there to get things done. If BlackBerry goes Android and drops BB10, then my Z30 is the last phone I and the company I work for will ever buy from them. We have bought dozens and dozens of them over the years. We have about 75 BB10 phones right now. No Android phones for us. BlackBerry will be losing us as a customer.

BlackBerry will be spending as much time modifying Android to make it "BlackBerry" and then trying to play catch up with all the fixes and updates when Google releases it and then trying to shoehorn the changes in the "BlackBerry" Android as they would using BlackBerry 10 and adding new features.

BlackBerry will also lose the Enterprise that is left because they are going to lose their secure reputation by going "Android". They they will sell less Android phones than they do BB10 phones. Why would anyone but a BlackBerry Android phone when you can get better hardware ones at cheaper prices.

Going Android will be the final nail in the BlackBerry hardware business.
    JulesDB likes this.
    08-15-15 10:49 AM

Thanks for the info, I know little of BES but I have been suspecting for many months now that JC has not left BB10 to die on its own but is actually inducing a coma.
    When some ultra fan-boys say "I don't understand what JC is playing at", my guess is they just won't listen to the ache in their gut.
    And then there are the fan-boys that declare the trickle of Android apps coming into BBW as proof of BB10's vitality.
    The latter is particularly sad and pitiable.
    int19 likes this.
    08-15-15 10:51 AM
    For anyone that thinks that I am wrong or I am just speculating. Try this.

Use social media to ask the following:

Will BlackBerry support Qt5 for BlackBerry 10 Native programming?

When will you have more webcasts about Native programming?

What new features will be coming to BlackBerry 10 native programming?

When will the Road Map be updated for BlackBerry 10 native programming?

All you will get is crickets.

Will there even be a 10.4?-index.png

Without native programming, there is no reason for BlackBerry 10 OS and buying BlackBerry 10 phones for a BES 12 environment.
    mattycat likes this.
    08-15-15 10:59 AM
    I think Chen is just trying to not say anything yet so they can sell off current phone inventory for cash flow, and keep as many customers as they can. I'm betting the new Droid slider is to test the waters. I also bet the future will be bb apps on other platforms for the masses and niche locked down phones just for the super security needs.
    int19 likes this.
    08-15-15 11:29 AM
    I think Chen is just trying to not say anything yet so they can sell off current phone inventory for cash flow, and keep as many customers as they can. I'm betting the new Droid slider is to test the waters. I also bet the future will be bb apps on other platforms for the masses and niche locked down phones just for the super security needs.
    Problem with the super security needs is that you need to have an OS that gets new features. Killing BB10 native development means the niche dies too.

You also tick off the last of the BlackBerry supporters by selling them a phone now that never gets updated. Selling a EOL product as new is a bad business move.
    tuxedo323 likes this.
    08-15-15 11:33 AM
    True, but I think we're all ticked off no matter what now
    08-15-15 11:53 AM
    Well considering they're moving towards having a "secure android" type pf system in place and are working with Knox, among others, to secure Android there may be a future where android apps can be pushed through a BES device.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 12:52 PM
162 12345 ...