Will there be any future updates before the EOL for the bb10 devices?

Posted via CB10
    02-11-21 09:52 AM
    You never know 100%... but 99.99% I'd say no.

BlackBerry let go or moved everyone years ago. Last big issue it was a couple of interns looking at manual, and it took a week to figure out some certificates had expired. An update.... WHY would they?
    02-11-21 11:44 AM
    Will there be any future updates before the EOL for the bb10 devices?

Posted via CB10
    BB10 went EOL in Dec of 2019. So, no.
    TheFoxSoul likes this.
    02-11-21 11:52 AM
    So, we wont have any updates ?
    02-11-21 11:54 AM
    no updates, why would there be?
    02-11-21 12:02 PM
    That's sad,
    I thought we would expect an update before next jan !
    02-11-21 12:11 PM
    02-11-21 12:28 PM
    again why?
    I think BlackBerry considered one more release back in 2018 to come out when BB10 went EOL in 2019. A release that would remove all dependency on BB backend services. They probably rejected the idea because of all the potential issues with updating older phones, and the lack of BB10 developers and testers. Always risky releasing a major update without lots of testing. I believe BB decided it was less risky to leave the backend services runnimg for two years.
    02-11-21 02:54 PM
    If we will it enough....
    02-11-21 03:05 PM
    fingers crossed for an mms fix. I reboot my Q10 to see a barrage of picture text messages rolling in....sent to me days ago
    02-11-21 03:12 PM
    fingers crossed for an mms fix. I reboot my Q10 to see a barrage of picture text messages rolling in....sent to me days ago
    Don't count on it but that's likely something on your carrier side.
    02-12-21 07:32 AM
    Maybe related to this?

Text Message Issues
    /13571653-post.html
    02-12-21 08:23 AM
    I think BlackBerry considered one more release back in 2018 to come out when BB10 went EOL in 2019. A release that would remove all dependency on BB backend services. They probably rejected the idea because of all the potential issues with updating older phones, and the lack of BB10 developers and testers. Always risky releasing a major update without lots of testing. I believe BB decided it was less risky to leave the backend services runnimg for two years.
    That was something we discussed among ourselves in this forum. Saying that BlackBerry should consider that. But there was never any indication from BlackBerry that they actually ever considered it.

And, maybe they have, just never said.
    02-12-21 08:33 AM
    That was something we discussed among ourselves in this forum. Saying that BlackBerry should consider that. But there was never any indication from BlackBerry that they actually ever considered it.

And, maybe they have, just never said.
    If my memory is correct, I thought in the Spring of 2018 the former VP over BlackBerry devices strongly hinted of one final release of BB10. As you stated the speculation was the release was to break the connection to the BlackBerry services. Not long after this statement he left BB. I had the opinion he did not like the decision to kill the final update. I agree, I don't remember BB ever really officially saying there would be a release.

From my many years of experience in tech and OSs, I think the final update was a very risky proposition. Updating older devices is very tricky. I am sure by 2018 very few people in Development and Testing at BlackBerry had any experience with BB10. My post is just my speculation based on my experience in the industry. I think BlackBerry decided to it would be less hassle to leave the services running for two more years than having to deal with customers having issues with a software update. I am pretty sure BlackBerry decided keeping the services running was cheaper than trying to do an update.
    mh1983 and rarsen like this.
    02-12-21 12:02 PM