This is problem a question that's been asked and I don't know what category to put this in.

I just bought blackberry q10's for my wife and I and we absolutely love the phones. The main reason we bought these phones is because they are secure first and foremost, rugged, easy and fast to use, and because we like blackberry brand. I have a short window before I can't return our devices and I was fine with Blackberry being sold or taken private but I'm hearing a lot of rumors of breakup of the company and I'm wondering how that would affect updates for the device and security.

If the company is broken up could they ever stop supporting all devices?

Thanks for any info anyone might have.
    10-10-13 02:15 PM
    Anything is possible, BUT I believe our devices will still work. Even in the event of a breakup it's likely that the service portion of BBRY will remain in operation. Additionally BBs no longer require BIS to function.
    10-10-13 02:22 PM
    It'll still work fine whatever happens, this still works :-)
    Will my device still be supported?-kodak.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 02:24 PM
    There is a degree of obligation to existing customers. Part of any deal to buy the company either outright or in pieces will be some provision to provide support to which they're legally obligated. In an extreme case, we could see class action from BB users against the assets of the company if these provisions aren't made.

For BBOS, I think there's a very strong likelihood that someone will come in and pick up both the handsets and BIS. If they're sufficiently ambitious, they may even proceed with new BBOS devices. There's a large enough user base that this might just be justified.

Admittedly, BB10's future is much less certain. The handsets will most definitely be maintained for warranty and so on, and we might see as many as a few million cheap ones hit the market. The trouble is that it looks like only 5 million or so have been sold so far. Unless there's a buyer out there who believes in the quality of the platform and thinks they can succeed in making it attractive to consumers where BB themselves failed, I think there's a significant chance we'll see the platform orphaned.
    10-10-13 02:31 PM
    This is problem a question that's been asked and I don't know what category to put this in.

I just bought blackberry q10's for my wife and I and we absolutely love the phones. The main reason we bought these phones is because they are secure first and foremost, rugged, easy and fast to use, and because we like blackberry brand. I have a short window before I can't return our devices and I was fine with Blackberry being sold or taken private but I'm hearing a lot of rumors of breakup of the company and I'm wondering how that would affect updates for the device and security.

If the company is broken up could they ever stop supporting all devices?

Thanks for any info anyone might have.
    I could see the very real possibility of BBM no longer working if BBRY aren't able to get it out cross platform and make it a self-sustaining entity in and of its own right but the devices themselves will keep running. Whether or not there are OS updates or app development depends a lot on what ends up happening with BBRY (does it get sold, does it get broken up and sold, does it just go under).. I got my wife a Z10 going on almost 2 months ago now and will have no concerns about picking up a Z30 (once the price has dropped a little...).
    10-10-13 02:34 PM
    I appreciate the responses. All of the comments thus far haven't made me certain of which way to go though.

I love the phones and don't want android (maybe ios again), but if we don't have future security patches and updates (10.3, 10.4, etc) I probably wouldn't want these phones, and if BBM stopped working that gets rid of the very useful BBM video chat which I like to do for business and with my family. Decisions, decisions.

I'd like to keep this discussion going though. Anyone who has thoughts please feel free to chime in as to what the most likely situation will be. The latest news I've read online with someone supposedly close to the matter is that the highest percentage bet at this point is the company being broken up. From the sound of it, that doesn't bode well for us.

Thanks!
    10-10-13 04:34 PM
    There are still 72 million BlackBerry users. I think if they stopped support on these devices we, including consumers,government, businesses, The Pentagon, and other secret government agencies would go nuts! I think we are fine for now Y'all!

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 12:28 PM
    With BBM going to IOS can we videochat cross platform, i.e. "facetime?"

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 12:29 PM
    With BBM going to IOS can we videochat cross platform, i.e. "facetime?"

Posted via CB10
    at the moment the nonbb version of BBM is text only I think. They want to release the advanced features in future updates. Should still be able to do file transfer though.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    10-13-13 05:26 AM
    Just wait how the future deal would come out, I mean those with Fairfax or possible fall into pieces..cause that would answer your question.
    10-13-13 05:43 AM