I'm considering to buy a new Classic from eBay or Amazon.

My understanding is that the new phone will not have the latest OS installed.

At the same time I would want to get the latest OS from a TRUSTED SCOURCE such as the carrier itself.

Hence my question, does AT&T still provide update for a Classic that just came 'online' ?

What are the other TRUSTED alternatives?
    01-22-17 11:49 AM
    Are you just using it on att network are is it a att branded phone, if it's a unlocked classic you will get updates as they come but if it's att branded ,you will have to wait for them.

Posted via CB10
    WES51 likes this.
    01-22-17 12:03 PM
    I say this b/c as I was reading about updates from autoloader here on crackberry as soon as the story went live I checked for updates and it came through .

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 12:07 PM
    I'm not sure if I understand correctly.

The new phone won't have the latest update. When I turn on the phone will it "see" the latest current update on the network and download it or is there NO updates on the network any more and I will have to go to some 3rd party website, download the update and install it via some tricks?
    01-22-17 12:08 PM
    What I mean is, if your phone isn't locked to a carrier, as soon as you boot it up it will see the update, but if it's att locked , you will have to wait for att to push the update.

Posted via CB10
    WES51 likes this.
    01-22-17 01:18 PM
    OK, I see now.

And that update is presumable coming directly from Blackberry, so the phone connects to Blackberry in some ways?
    01-22-17 01:23 PM
    Correct. It will connect to blackberry either way but for some reason carriers like to hold off on updates.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 01:28 PM
    OK, so and if I buy an AT&T branded one and I unlock it, it will do the same, it will connect to Blackberry?

Also Blackberry still supply's it's latest OS updates to OS10 phones?

I heard OS10 is no longer supported, so that applies to OS10 development etc, not pushing out updates to phones that have not received it yet. Correct?
    01-22-17 01:32 PM
    OK, so and if I buy an AT&T branded one and I unlock it, it will do the same, it will connect to Blackberry?

Also Blackberry still supply's it's latest OS updates to OS10 phones?

I heard OS10 is no longer supported, so that applies to OS10 development etc, not pushing out updates to phones that have not received it yet. Correct?
    If it's an AT&T branded phone it'll get updates from BlackBerry but on AT&T's schedule (i.e. not soon). Factory unlocked phones are on BlackBerry's schedule. That said, the 10.3.3 rollout isn't coming to all factory unlocked phones for some reason, not sure why.

As for the OS itself don't expect anything more than maybe one other security certification in the future. In the timespan between 10.3.2 and 10.3.3 the only feature of real note was NIAP certification, which is completely useless for anyone that isn't administering a corporate BES.
    WES51 likes this.
    01-22-17 01:37 PM
    Yes and no, it will be developed, just not in the way of very many features that someone who is used to, security features and the like will still be developed b/c there is constantly new exploits, granted there are no known exploits for bb10 but that doesn't mean there is none, but yes if you get it unlocked you may get the update sooner, but att may be pushing it out by now, this I'm not sure of.

Posted via CB10
    WES51 likes this.
    01-22-17 01:40 PM
    OK, thanks much !!!

So that means I can buy the phone and it will still work as one of your phones in factory release stage (without all the added apps)
    01-22-17 01:44 PM
    OK, thanks much !!!

So that means I can buy the phone and it will still work as one of your phones in factory release stage (without all the added apps)
    Any phone that began life as a carrier locked phone and was unlocked later is still beholden to either the original carrier or the carrier that provisioned the SIM card (assuming that the device variant sold by both carriers is the same). Only unlocked inside the box phones (Shop BlackBerry, Amazon, etc.) follow BlackBerry's update schedule.

And as for talk about "trusted sources" it is possible to create an autoloader solely with files from BlackBerry.com and any standard hex editor, but that seems out of the question already. One might not even need the hex editor, if my hunch is right.
    Last edited by thurask; 01-22-17 at 02:19 PM.
    WES51 likes this.
    01-22-17 01:47 PM
    I have an ATT Passport and used an autoloader from crackberry and have done so before for two Z10s. There is nothing unsecure about these autoloader, in my opinion. It's better to update to 10.3.3 before you start building the phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 01:56 PM