Ahahahahaah, so your company employs 30.000 advisors and eventually should hire 30.000 assistants just for book flights? Did I advised this? This plan would be crazy....

Nobody is questioning the capacity or the semplicity to use everything via Phone. The point is: can you arrange these things via BlackBerry? Or do you need only an Android/Iphone?

That's the point!!

Anyway, we got lost from the Post of the forum I guess.

Posted via CB10
    Well I didn't want to name everything but here's a non exhaustive list that I'll need an assistant to do if I don't have a "toy phone":

Read and reply to my emails (Most MDM doesn't support BB10)

Create, edit Word, Excel and Powerpoint (Doc to go don't render them properly... if at all)

Take notes for my clients in the CRM

Book flights

Send me documents that are stored in the corporate drive (then again how he/she gonna send it to me if i can't log into my emails)

Uber (when you're in a city in rush hour and no can are available, you'll understand)

And the list goes on...
    jmr1015 and eshropshire like this.
    04-06-17 08:44 AM
    Here we go again. Someday, I will have to move on to another device/platform because things will just not work on BB10. I have no doubt on this and I am not a rabid fanboy for any platform. However, I want to dispell any notion on this thread that you HAVE to have travel apps to get anywhere. Last October/November my wife and I took a beautiful vacation to Australia and New Zealand. We were away for 7 weeks, visited 7 cities (4 in Aus and 3 in NZ), and I made ALL travel arrangements (including the big one from Canada to Brisbane and back), all accommodations (AirBnb, HomeAway), all day tour bookings, all map directions for walking/hiking and locating restaurants/museums/art galleries/points of interest etc, ALL from my Passport alone. EVERYTHING. I have a few apps for doing this BUT I also relied on a few mobile websites that worked beautifully. It can be done, folks, at least until the browser is kaput.
    04-06-17 08:46 AM
    Here we go again. Someday, I will have to move on to another device/platform because things will just not work on BB10. I have no doubt on this and I am not a rabid fanboy for any platform. However, I want to dispell any notion on this thread that you HAVE to have travel apps to get anywhere. Last October/November my wife and I took a beautiful vacation to Australia and New Zealand. We were away for 7 weeks, visited 7 cities (4 in Aus and 3 in NZ), and I made ALL travel arrangements (including the big one from Canada to Brisbane and back), all accommodations (AirBnb, HomeAway), all day tour bookings, all map directions for walking/hiking and locating restaurants/museums/art galleries/points of interest etc, ALL from my Passport alone. EVERYTHING. I have a few apps for doing this BUT I also relied on a few mobile websites that worked beautifully. It can be done, folks, at least until the browser is kaput.
    I hear you. It's just a crap shoot sometimes.

I've got onto flights realizing that the only way to use the entertainment system is to use an app.

When I downloaded it to my BB10 device, I found out it needed Google Play Services to run. No chance to patch. Boom - 4 hours of boredom ensues.
    04-06-17 08:52 AM
    I've got onto flights realizing that the only way to use the entertainment system is to use an app.
    Funny you mentioned that! I was on a Virgin Australia flight and they had that entertainment system. I downloaded and installed the app from GP and lo and behold it worked on the Passport. I had plenty of other stuff to do but on a lark just wanted to see if it would work. I hear you though. For travel, I am finding the mobile web site of Expedia.ca to be VERY good as a FYI.
    04-06-17 08:58 AM
    Well I didn't want to name everything but here's a non exhaustive list that I'll need an assistant to do if I don't have a "toy phone":

Read and reply to my emails (Most MDM doesn't support BB10)

Create, edit Word, Excel and Powerpoint (Doc to go don't render them properly... if at all)

Take notes for my clients in the CRM

Book flights

Send me documents that are stored in the corporate drive (then again how he/she gonna send it to me if i can't log into my emails)

Uber (when you're in a city in rush hour and no can are available, you'll understand)

And the list goes on...
    We were speaking about travel arrangements.....

Posted via CB10
    04-06-17 09:03 AM
    Simple: the longer they keep BB10 alive, the more negative advertising they get. Need proof? Look at all the issues people here bring up with BB10 (browser, sideloading app, all sort of contortions to make something simple work). It's like BBOS all over again... with the slow boot time, constant lack of memory and need to battery pull.

The worse thing that could happen to BB now is that a branch of the US gov orders like 10,000 BB10 phones dans want BB to keep them secure. It would cost BB lots of money to service the OS, with no growth potential
    This is exactly why they should resume BB10 development and make it available to purchase separately for all existing BB10 and dtek devices.
    04-06-17 09:16 AM
    This is exactly why they should resume BB10 development and make it available to purchase separately for all existing BB10 and dtek devices.
    Who would pay for that, considering getting BB10 ready for modern devices would take 2+ years and cost at least $1B? And that's not including the cost of devices themselves?

When you figure out the answers to those questions, let us know.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-06-17 11:02 AM
    Who would pay for that, considering getting BB10 ready for modern devices would take 2+ years and cost at least $1B? And that's not including the cost of devices themselves?

When you figure out the answers to those questions, let us know.
    Blackberry would make the initial investment obviously. Where do you figure the 2 year lead time anyway and your cost estimate is again assuming previous guesses are even remotely close.
    The target buyer would be high security and corporate environments who want a closed ecosystem device with highest possible security. Also if it were available to consumers I'm sure there are potential sales there as well.
    04-06-17 11:20 AM
    The target buyer would be high security and corporate environments who want a closed ecosystem device with highest possible security.
    This is folly.

If BlackBerry thought this market existed in any numbers that matter, they would have hung on to BB10.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-06-17 12:02 PM
    Most people, whether consumer or corporate, just want solutions to their needs. Solutions that don't require hit and miss work arounds, side loading, and unofficial third party clients.

This is why the vast majority of the world, consumer and corporate, no longer want or care about BB10. Most people can, and do, get more done on iOS and Android, and even Windows.

BB10 was a great base OS. But it lacked a competitive ecosystem. That spells death in today's smartphone market. Consumer and corporate.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-06-17 01:19 PM
    I am deeply sorry for you that are Apps dependent. Again, the point is: what can you do with a BlackBerry on this matters?

You are totally dependent from apps, where I worked or work, we get everything well organized and without hundreds of people taking care of this. I have just to use my phone for boarding flight and I used it for booking hotel, flights and so on when I needed....easily! Some apps are not working, true...or some website are not well done on BB.

As well Cobalt says, loyalty points and some other commodities are not well working via BlackBerry, so it is subjective the use of the smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    You don't realize how valuable travel apps are to road warriors. Also the need for real Microsoft apps and other specialized apps for CRM, finance and other activities. Key business messaging applications. My company has several in house apps we use that only run on iOS and Android. I know you love BB10, but almost none of these apps work on the system. Modern road work is requires a lot more than just reading and responding to emails.
    04-06-17 01:38 PM
    Nice for a family trip. Those of us who spend about 25%+ of our time around the world on business do need the apps to be productive and respond to immediate needs. I have traveled a lot over my 28 years working in the tech business. Today the demands on your time on the road are great. I need to do. A lot more than just read and respond to emails on the road.
    Last edited by eshropshire; 04-06-17 at 02:00 PM.
    04-06-17 01:44 PM
    Blackberry would make the initial investment obviously. Where do you figure the 2 year lead time anyway and your cost estimate is again assuming previous guesses are even remotely close.
    The target buyer would be high security and corporate environments who want a closed ecosystem device with highest possible security. Also if it were available to consumers I'm sure there are potential sales there as well.
    Name who that is? Finacial companies, hospitals, US DoD, the FBI, etc all use iOS, some other in the secure field use iOS and Android with MDM systems. I work in the tech world some of are clients have very high security requirements and they are fully satisfied with their mobile management systems. None of which support BB10.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-06-17 01:58 PM
    Nice for a family trip. Those of us who spend about 25%+ of our time around the world on business do need the apps to be productive and respond to immediate needs. I have traveled a lot over my 28 years working in the tech business. Today the demands on your time on the road are great. I need to do. A lot more than just read and respond to emails on the road.
    I am not disputing the fact that you need apps to do this travel/work thing but I don't. The trip that I just described was very detailed and complicated and was performed with ease with my Passport. As of this post you can do any of that stuff using a mobile Web app and Blackberry Travel. BT is soon to be history and my browser is only going to get worse so I am likely to change devices soon.
    04-06-17 02:21 PM
    Just visited Shop BlackBerry and voila

Attachment 420869
    Attachment 420870

I dint check to see if they were in Stock lol

Posted via CB10
    You did NOT visit Shopblackberry.com. You were on BlackBerry.Com. SBB.Com does not have them listed.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.3.2205 / Telus
    Attached Thumbnails Will Blackberry Continue supporting BB10 Customers ?-img_20170404_122819.png  
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-06-17 05:33 PM
    What? Why would BB do that? They tried a few years ago and almost went bankrupt.

And organisations already have the highest security possible now with their current mobile solutions... why would they change?
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-06-17 08:15 PM
    Blackberry would make the initial investment obviously.
    If BB was prepared to dump yet another billion into the BB10 sinkhole, they'd have done it BEFORE they let the BB10 development team go, when that money would have gone farther.

Where do you figure the 2 year lead time anyway and your cost estimate is again assuming previous guesses are even remotely close.
    OK, you are the manager in charge of BB10. I'm direct-depositing a billion dollars in your division's account today. How long before you can deliver a modern version of BB10 ready to be put on devices?

Keep in mind that you need to do the following:

- Hire a completely new team of people, each qualified in their own specialties. You need experts on SoCs, storage, sensors, camera post-processing, WiFi, cellular radios, OS design, kernel design, encryption, network security, etc. You'll also need to hire developers for all of the stock apps. Don't forget managers for the people and project managers for all of the projects that make up an OS. You also need a team of software testers who can document each issue clearly. How many days will it take you to assemble this team of 2,000 or so people from scratch? (Note: In 2013, there were around 4500 people on the BB10 project).

- Train everyone. Remember, none of these people have any experience with BB10 or BlackBerry. How long will it take to train them all?

- Convert BB10 from 32-bit to 64-bit. That can be done in a long weekend, right?

- Convert BB10 from the old version of QT to a current, supported version. Simple.

- Update all of the stock apps. Kill those bugs that BB couldn't fix over the last 4 years.

- Rip out the Android Runtime and patch up all of the gaping holes that will leave. (What, you didn't think BB10 would be allowed to continue having an Android Runtime now that BB has licensed GMS and Google Play, right?)

- Create and document a bunch of new APIs, and update most of the old ones, so that developers can make use of the OS. You'll need to have a developer conference of some kind to roll these out. Your team will need to develop training seminars and documentation to hand out.

- Update the BB10 development tools to work with all of this new stuff.

Then, once you have all that easy stuff out of the way, you put the finished product on a device, do tons of testing, and try to get the battery to last more than an hour and try to get the device to run more than 20 minutes without crashing. Just for comparison, BB has spent more than a year just updating Android to work on the new KeyOne hardware, and it still isn't done - and that's a FAR smaller job then what I've listed above.

So, when will you have that done?

So, the target buyers are those that are currently using iOS and Android with an MDM and aren't satisfied with it? How many of those are there, and how many devices can you be assured of selling? Remember, you have to spread that $1B (at least!) across those devices. To give you an idea, if you could sell 100,000 devices, the software cost just to develop BB10 for them would be $10,000 per device - or $1,000 per device if you could sell 1,000,000 devices - and that's break-even, without a cent of profit, and of course, nothing to pay for the device itself, or any costs for distribution, marketing, or support. Your customers would still need an MDM, of course, and their current MDM would almost certainly not support BB10, so you'd have to convince them to change MDMs too, or you wouldn't be able to sell them devices.

And hopefully all of your customers would be satisfied with the apps in BB World - minus all of the apps that are Android apps and any apps that wouldn't run correctly on the new version of BB10 and weren't updated by their developers.

What is your prediction of success in this venture?
    04-06-17 09:23 PM
    Fingernipp please don't come back in 6 to 8 weeks with no memory of this.
    04-06-17 09:55 PM
    Fingernipp please don't come back.
    Fixed that for you...

Posted via CB10
    04-06-17 09:59 PM
    If you want ongoing support from blackberry, you can prop your keyboard up with your BB device.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-17 05:42 AM
    snip
    Aww come on! You know it can be done by two guys in their garage during their free time on weekends!
    04-07-17 06:09 AM
    Fixed that for you...

Posted via CB10
    Don't worry. You guys trolled me right out of the thread. Its not worth retaliating with fact checks, you can do it yourself. We are arguing speculation and opinion based on VERY little actual fact or insight. We have no safe place in the Blackberry10 OS forums for Blackberry10 OS fans at this point, so why bother?

From "This is exactly why they should resume BB10 development and make it available to purchase separately for all existing BB10 and dtek devices." to a damn near full page of rant adding a TON of additional speculation. How about a 10.3.4 Autoloader and start there.... you guys go into devices and 64 bit when there are no 4+ gig devices out. Complicated the HELL out of a simple comment just so you can argue against it.
    04-07-17 07:00 AM
    Don't worry. You guys trolled me right out of the thread. Its not worth retaliating with fact checks, you can do it yourself. We are arguing speculation and opinion based on VERY little actual fact or insight. We have no safe place in the Blackberry10 OS forums for Blackberry10 OS fans at this point, so why bother?

From "This is exactly why they should resume BB10 development and make it available to purchase separately for all existing BB10 and dtek devices." to a damn near full page of rant adding a TON of additional speculation. How about a 10.3.4 Autoloader and start there.... you guys go into devices and 64 bit when there are no 4+ gig devices out. Complicated the HELL out of a simple comment just so you can argue against it.
    OK

Posted via CB10
    04-07-17 07:05 AM
    We have no safe place in the Blackberry10 OS forums for Blackberry10 OS fans at this point, so why bother?
    Oh, boy. Not this "safe space" nonsense again.

Complicated the HELL out of a simple comment just so you can argue against it.
    You want a simple answer? Here it is:
    Because it wouldn't be profitable. In fact, it would cost a significant amount of money.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-07-17 08:45 AM
    We have no safe place in the Blackberry10 OS forums for Blackberry10 OS fans at this point,

Will Blackberry Continue supporting BB10 Customers ?-39c.jpg

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz and thurask like this.
    04-07-17 09:15 AM
124 ... 2345