BlackBerry is committed to BB10.

"'Security by obscurity' means 'commercial failure.'" - Confucius
    04-04-17 05:36 AM
    As these threads appear, I like to remind people that there is another "BB10 service" that is costing BlackBerry money to maintain: Maps. Although I don't know the details of the contract with TomTom for map data, I feel pretty confident that it's not free. I would expect BlackBerry to want to cut that cost as soon as possible, so they have a financial interest in declaring BB10's EOL. Once they do that, no one has any reasonable expectation for Maps to continue to work. As long as BB10 is in any sense "supported" they have to keep paying for map data, so there's more at stake than just the occasional security update.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-04-17 08:35 AM
    As these threads appear, I like to remind people that there is another "BB10 service" that is costing BlackBerry money to maintain: Maps. Although I don't know the details of the contract with TomTom for map data, I feel pretty confident that it's not free. I would expect BlackBerry to want to cut that cost as soon as possible, so they have a financial interest in declaring BB10's EOL. Once they do that, no one has any reasonable expectation for Maps to continue to work. As long as BB10 is in any sense "supported" they have to keep paying for map data, so there's more at stake than just the occasional security update.
    I suppose that depends on how the deal was structured. TomTom may have received a per device fee for a Perpetual license.

But I would agree that there is probably an escape clause for TomTom in there somewhere.
    04-04-17 08:54 AM
    They still sell BB10 devices on their website, so as long as they do sell them they have to and must support BB10! I would say we still have 3-4 years left of BB10 OS,

Posted via CB10
    04-04-17 09:17 AM
    They still sell BB10 devices on their website, so as long as they do sell them they have to and must support BB10! I would say we still have 3-4 years left of BB10 OS,

Posted via CB10
    As I've said countless times before, they will support the physical hardware and honor your warranty. Just because they still have a few phones left to sell does not make them obligated to update the OS.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-04-17 09:22 AM
    I disagree, I doubt they will tell millions of BB10 users including government officials to buy the cool looking phone just don't expect us to support it lol

Posted via CB10
    04-04-17 09:31 AM
    There are no Blackberry 10 devices for sale on shopblackberry.com in either Canada or the United States.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-04-17 11:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    They do? If they don't sell it on Shopblackberry.com

Will Blackberry Continue supporting BB10 Customers ?-img_20170404_122819.png

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.3.2205 / Telus
    04-04-17 11:29 AM

Posted via CB10

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    04-04-17 11:47 AM
    I disagree, I doubt they will tell millions of BB10 users including government officials to buy the cool looking phone just don't expect us to support it lol

Posted via CB10
    I doubt there are any government or large companies that have BB10 that are not already implementing a migration plan.
    04-04-17 11:52 AM
    Yeah I just checked, there are no BB10 devices on shop BlackBerry, but they were there a couple of weeks ago, and even last month when I bought my Leap,
    Either way I'm not gonna stop using the best OS ever made!
    Cause then next would be Crapdroid!! Ugh!!!!!
    I did already buy the Dtek50 when it came out but am hoping to not need it anytime soon!!! Lol

Posted via CB10
    04-04-17 12:10 PM
    I doubt there are any government or large companies that have BB10 that are not already implementing a migration plan.
    I work for a government office and there is no plan to move from BB10. Instead the number of bb10 smatphone is increasing!

Posted via CB10
    Praganad likes this.
    04-04-17 12:58 PM
    hey i see that there are bb10 devices available in global.blackberry.com how this could be? i think only in store.shopblackberry.com they didnt list that reason could be that they are into out of stock status, also stopped manufacturing their own devices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    04-04-17 01:30 PM
    I work for a government office and there is no plan to move from BB10. Instead the number of bb10 smatphone is increasing!

Posted via CB10
    hey may i know which part of the country you are from ? is that true that your government still uses BB devices.

eager to know :P

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    04-04-17 01:32 PM
    Which planet?
    Which country?
    Which government office?
    How many BB10 devices currently deployed?
    What is the planned total number of BB10 devices to deploy?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-04-17 01:56 PM
    Which planet?
    Which country?
    Which government office?
    I know the Canadian government still uses BB10. But that's about it... everyone else moved on including the big banks.

The ironic thing is that BB is probably offering the anyone left on BB10 to migrate to something else
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-04-17 02:37 PM
    The ironic thing is that BB is probably offering the anyone left on BB10 to migrate to something else
    That's right. It actually only hurts BlackBerry to have people still using BB10.
    04-04-17 02:39 PM
    That's right. It actually only hurts BlackBerry to have people still using BB10.
    And I would be genuinely surprised if anybody is ramping up BB10 device deployment now.
    04-04-17 02:42 PM
    And I would be genuinely surprised if anybody is ramping up BB10 device deployment now.
    Mike! What the hell are those things?!?

Eh, we found this box of BlackBerry phones that Roy bought back in 2014 before he retired. There's around 50 in there.

Ugh... Roy... don't remind me. Do they still work?

Yep, they charge and turn on. I tested one with my SIM card and got a signal too. Any idea what we should do with them?

Hmmm. Could save us a few thousand bucks on overhead this year. Put our app suite on-

Yeah, that's not gonna happen, Mr. Sloan. It won't install on these.

What?? I thought the IT guys wrote it for all the phones to work!

They did, kinda. It works on all the iphones and Androids everyone uses.

Well what the hell do THESE run off of?

I don't know, Mr. Sloan... it's not one of the usual ones.

Hmph! God damn you, Roy...

Any ideas? Should I just toss them in the dumpster?

Nah. Tell you what- issue them out to the custodial staff! Tell them they have a company phone now. Make them feel like they're important!

Brilliant idea sir. Positively brilliant.

"'Security by obscurity' means 'commercial failure.'" - Confucius
    ppeters914 and DrBoomBotz like this.
    04-04-17 03:02 PM
    Which planet?
    Which country?
    Which government office?
    In Mars we work and in the moon!! Lol!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-17 04:26 PM
    It would hurt even more some high level users to use unsafe OS like Android. Governments and state offices should use what is convenient for them, not what you or John Chen may like.

Maybe one day Android will be the safest OS system in the world, but so far it is not. It would be nice to hear what Richard Buckley thinks about, since he writes often here with competences about security.

Moreover John Chen stopped about speaking on security for Nougat. Why?

Since now BlackBerry moved only to Software, why are the people using BB10 hurting BlackBerry? But do you get somehow paid to advertise BlackBerry android?

Again, nothing personal Conite, but here we must be objectives and not ranting or be childish.
    If you are not happy with that, write to several governments and try to convince them about the super security of Android. But good luck with that my friend!

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    04-04-17 04:35 PM
    This is the current state of BB10 advocacy.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-04-17 04:37 PM
    Again, nothing personal Conite, but here we must be objectives and not ranting or be childish.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-04-17 04:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    Interesting way of not getting personal.

The fact is BB10 had minuscule uptake in Enterprise and government anyway. The numbers are for all to see.

The vast majority of EMM deployments are iOS, with Android gaining ground quickly.

For the "top 1%” where they need something "better", BB10 is no longer an option anyway, because those numbers are oceans away from making the platform viable - which means this obscure minority will either have to design their own solutions (unlikely), or join the rest.

I'm looking at this from a business case perspective - not a device user.

BB10 is a liability for BlackBerry now, as they do not wish to allocate even the slightest of resources to support this dying platform.
    04-04-17 04:49 PM
    This is the current state of BB10 advocacy.
    I am not doing any advocacy for bb10.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-17 05:10 PM
124 1234 ...