Hi,

I am using BBOS 10 device Q10 and planning to get Passport in nearing future. I really love the BB10 OS and i am very big fan of Blackberry devices since many years. People around me are advising me not to buy anymore BB10 OS devices since bb stopped its own OS.

I might repeat the same question here. please regret me for the same.

Q1 ) What will BB do for its existing BB10 OS customers ?
    Q2 ) ID BB completed stopped its BB10 OS services even to its corporate clients ?

For me App is not at all a matter, i want to be productive so I chose to stick with BB. I really not feeling comfortable in buying BB Droid phones.

Do these devices are different in any way from other android phone ? IDK

but I wish to stick with bb10 OS and i really enjoy the feature of multitasking in BB10 OS. I feel this is the best OS ever I seen in the globe.

SO the question here is how many of you people will stick to BB10 OS devices ?
    04-02-17 12:10 PM
    I will be for a very long time (years).

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.3), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.3.1463)
    04-02-17 12:11 PM
    Hi there, I'm using a Q10 as well! This phone is like the miz says "awesome!!". Not sure how long BlackBerry will be supporting BB10 but honestly imo I don't think it matters. Just look at how many people still use legacy devices! I'll be using my Q10 for a loooong time I mean shoot I used a 8320 for years lol

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 12:18 PM
    Hi,

I am using BBOS 10 device Q10 and planning to get Passport in nearing future. I really love the BB10 OS and i am very big fan of Blackberry devices since many years. People around me are advising me not to buy anymore BB10 OS devices since bb stopped its own OS.

I might repeat the same question here. please regret me for the same.

Q1 ) What will BB do for its existing BB10 OS customers ?
    Q2 ) ID BB completed stopped its BB10 OS services even to its corporate clients ?

For me App is not at all a matter, i want to be productive so I chose to stick with BB. I really not feeling comfortable in buying BB Droid phones.

Do these devices are different in any way from other android phone ? IDK

but I wish to stick with bb10 OS and i really enjoy the feature of multitasking in BB10 OS. I feel this is the best OS ever I seen in the globe.

SO the question here is how many of you people will stick to BB10 OS devices ?
    10.3.4 may come or it might not come. That will be the extent of BlackBerry's support. Bb10 still works and some folks will stick with it. Probably someone somewhere still has skies with bear trap bindings.
    FF22 and jmr1015 like this.
    04-02-17 12:23 PM
    Im also wondering how long bb will do security updates.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 12:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    I just laid it out.
    04-02-17 12:36 PM
    idk whether its true but i heard that they do support for corporate who use bbos and their enterprise services. also some one said that chen might comeback with their own OS if BB market share increases.

also, i hope bb wouldnt stop the support abruptly to their loyal customers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    04-02-17 12:39 PM
    idk whether its true but i heard that they do support for corporate who use bbos and their enterprise services. also some one said that chen might comeback with their own OS if BB market share increases.

also, i hope bb wouldnt stop the support abruptly to their loyal customers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    Corporate support is irrelevant unless you have an existing corporate support contract. Bb10 is available for licence but nobody is interested. This should give you an idea of BlackBerry's interest in supporting bb10.
    04-02-17 12:44 PM
    Guess it depends on your definition of 'support'.

If we assume BBOS7 is an accurate guide, then BB10 will continue to work until your device dies and you can't find a new one. You will continue to have all your hub accounts (excluding Facebook and Whatsapp), the Web, BBM and docs to go, all the native apps.

Issues that already exist will not improve, including: there will be no fix for BlackBerry Link, Whatsapp will be the first of many apps and developers to completely desert the platform, there will be no security patches, there will be no bug fixes, there will be no tech support outside these forums.

Eventually expect the Android runtime to break (means no Skype, no Amazon app store), and for the TLS and SSL security certificates needed for https:// to become so outdated that the native Web browser is rendered obsolete.

So, if all you will need for the next 3+ years is the Hub for email, SMS and BBM and are prepared to pay an app developer to maintain a native Web browsing, then BB10 will be 'supported'.

-- Give me a keyboard, a 5 star rated Browser and a fulcrum point and I could move the world.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-02-17 01:02 PM
    BB has already made it quite clear that 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 were/will(may?) be the "support" for their (few remaining) Enterprise/corporate customers. At this point, BB10 corporate support contracts will have expired or are very, very close to expiring, so no one is going to be expecting anything beyond 10.3.4. Corporate folks will have seen the writing on the wall in late 2013, and those who adopted BB10 in 2014 only did so because their process was slow and the decision had been made in 2013 but took a long time to implement. That's why BB's very few announcements of "wins" in 2014 were for hundreds or thousands of devices at a time, and not tens or hundreds of thousands - the only corporations buying in by then were smaller, more nimble companies that knew they could transition away quickly if BB10 didn't meet their needs.

The reality of the situation is that BB10's development ended more than 2 years ago now, and support is very near the end of the line. There's only a tiny team remaining on BB10, and once 10.3.4 is released (I'm assuming it still will be), they're almost certainly going to be reassigned and the department closed. You need to be realistic about that.

As others have said, your phone isn't going to self-destruct on that date ala Mission Impossible, but as techhatesme said, none of the existing bugs are going to be fixed, the support apps (Link) aren't going to be fixed, the native app situation will continue to deteriorate, the Android app situation will be worse (once Google I/O happens and developers get the beta of Android O, they're going to be strongly motivated to leave Android 4.x support behind and target 5.x as their minimum, and there's no work-around for that), and perhaps most importantly, the web browser will become ever more obsolete as browser tech is very fast-moving and will leave the BB10 browser behind.

Sure, you'll be able make phone calls, send texts, use BBM and email - but that barely requires a smartphone today - even "dumb phones" can do those things (BBM aside).

Everyone has to decide what their own needs are and where they draw their personal line, but you should at least make those decisions with your eyes wide open and not be in denial about the situation. BB10 isn't going to make a comeback - it's like a 98-year-old man: barely clinging to life and nothing is ever going to make him a 20-year-old again.
    04-02-17 01:48 PM
    It all depends what "support" mean for you. The only thing that is maintaining BB10 alive is the few corporate customers they have left.

But most of them are migrating away. Here in Canada, the big banks were the first ones to sign on the BB10... but they all started issuing iPhones now.

So if for you support is that phone calls and SMS works on it, then that will continue to work.

But everything else might start failing. I started up my Z30 yesterday out of curiosity and it's having a hard time rendering websites
    04-02-17 01:58 PM
    10.3.4 may come or it might not come. That will be the extent of BlackBerry's support. Bb10 still works and some folks will stick with it. Probably someone somewhere still has skies with bear trap bindings.
    Skies?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 02:34 PM
    Skies?
    Will Blackberry Continue supporting BB10 Customers ?-skiing-clipart-mclgnbnca-jpeg-ski-clip-art-1500_955.jpg
    04-02-17 02:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    We've had one update since March of 2015 that has since been pulled. So I'm not sure what you'd be expecting going forward.
    Last edited by conite; 04-02-17 at 10:54 PM.
    04-02-17 02:41 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skiing-clipart-mclgnbnca-jpeg-ski-clip-art-1500_955.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	420660
    Ohh I believe it's skis : )

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 03:21 PM
    Ohh I believe it's skis : )

Posted via CB10
    It's Verizon's fault!
    04-02-17 03:33 PM
    BB link was actually fixed last year for win10. Blackberry released a teethering driver for windows 10 called "blackberry net" in early 2016. If you have the latest most updated windows, and you uninstall and re-install the blackberry software, because its now in windows database, windows should pick this up and try and install it.

That's what happened for me. Everything teethering for bb10 works as well in windows 10 as it used to in windows 7.

I think the main issue is actually the 4.3 android runtime. With cobalts suite installed you can install modern browsers and other things that keep the phone running. But 4.3 is just now starting to stop being supported. If something like web protocols move forward, its doubtful the new browsers will support 4.3, and then slowly websites will cease to render properly.

For now, 4.3 does cut it. And for most things you can always install an old version. But, slowly this will matter. Possibly their are BB native options, and some develop might be keeping an up to date browser - but it will cost money, and that's not reliable.

I already have an android browser in addition to the regular browser. Standard browser works most of the time, but not on every site.

In about two years its likely 4.3 will be completely abandoned, but it remains to be seen how long it will be before the existing 4.3 based browsers will take to slip slowly out of date, and to what extent that will matter to anyone.

Maybe some enterprising programmer could update the runtime, lol. Doubtful though, it might either be impossible, or most likely too much work to do for free.
    04-02-17 10:51 PM
    Will Blackberry Continue supporting BB10 Customers ?-itsdeadjim.jpg

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.2205
    IvanTheTolerable likes this.
    04-03-17 12:18 AM
    Knowing and agreeing with all the above, I still bought myself a spare Classic. Never again will I find a phone with a trackpad, which keeps 99% of BB10 functional without having to use my nose to press the touchscreen in -15 degrees centigrade.

-- Give me a keyboard, a 5 star rated Browser and a fulcrum point and I could move the world.
    04-03-17 05:01 AM
    I will!! And my whole company.

via Q10
    Praganad likes this.
    04-03-17 05:14 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Itsdeadjim.jpg 
Views:	680 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	420681

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.2205
    So you're saying there's still a chance, right?

"'Security by obscurity' means 'commercial failure.'" - Confucius
    04-03-17 05:41 AM
    I will!! And my whole company.

via Q10
    Does everyone in your company use a BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 09:44 AM
    My support is for BB10 and I really love this platform,

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 10:30 AM
    In about two years its likely 4.3 will be completely abandoned, but it remains to be seen how long it will be before the existing 4.3 based browsers will take to slip slowly out of date, and to what extent that will matter to anyone.
    Google I/O (Google's annual development conference) is happening soon, and the beta of Android O will be released to developers. At that time, they're going to have strong encouragement to start targeting Android 5.0 and above. The 4.x versions will start losing support at a rapid rate, at least among actively developed apps.

It's going to happen a lot faster than people think. 4.3 and below is already down to 12.6% of Android users and dropping quickly - once that number drops below 10% (a month or two), developers will move forward.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-03-17 12:23 PM
    They shouldn't. They need to kill BB10 and forget it ever existed. They did a good thing with Android.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-03-17 06:18 PM
124 123 ...