Yes use the passport

Postia via BlackBerry Passport
    02-07-18 11:03 PM
    I would say try bb10 think it will work for what u want it for. I have a leap very cool phone

Posted via CB10
    02-08-18 06:58 AM
    BlackBerry 10 serve me good. Not for everyone though.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-09-18 06:14 PM
    I've had a Passport for years and have just bought a Z10 because occasionally I need to use a different SIM card for travelling.

I can highly recommend the Passport-- it is arguably the peak of BB10 development. The Z10 is actually pretty stunning (can't believe I bought a 2013 phone in 2018 which performs well). I'd guess the Z30 is mid-way between the two.

As long as your Z30 is cheap, give it a go. I would try and install as few as possible Android apps and rely on native ones. The Z30 should handle a few Android apps installed, but don't expect miracles. Android WhatsApp works it seems.

Maybe factor in getting a replacement battery? I say this because my new-old-stock Z10 is pretty good and has made realise that my very hard used Passport battery is probably past its best!

I can count on one hand the amount of websites that I have had trouble with. Actually today, I wanted to see what time a Starbucks closed and their store-locator page wouldn't load.

I don't use much in the way of Office suites for editing. Viewing XLS, doc, etc in the Blackberry Docs To Go seems to work very well. You can edit also but I imagine it is pretty limited.

Pdf's on the other hand are easy to work with with the native Adobe Acrobat reader. I often sit in front of a computer and use the Passport to sign or view pdf files. Sounds mad but it is true for me. You can sign, add notes, etc.

For me, communication on BB10 is its greatest strength. I hope you are impressed by the Hub.

Posted via CB10
    Whoa, you're right. The Starbucks location finder page loads literally nothing. How odd.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-18 02:05 AM
    the browser is outdated. so the answer is no
    Browser still works fine.
    02-11-18 08:36 PM
    I would say try bb10 think it will work for what u want it for. I have a leap very cool phone

Posted via CB10
    I owned a leap it was a fantastic phone. One of the reasons I moved to the motion is because it's like a powerful leap with a much more ergonomical feel to it
    02-11-18 08:37 PM
    I switched to Android (Yotaphone), and then Sailfish X, but recently returned to my Passport as my main phone. The OS is brilliant, The Hub is amazing. The browser is aging (but still pretty good) and app support is non-existent outside of some Android. It really depends. If a miracle happened and BlackBerry updated the browser alone--and I could replace the battery---I'd use the Passport indefinitely.

Posted via CB10
    No way! I'm also a Passporter who had a YotaPhone (2) as well.

How did you like Sailfish? I recently almost bought a Turing Phone running Sailfish for 600 bucks off eBay but decided at the last minute not to.

I think I'm gonna make the leap to it pretty soon. Any comparisons/contrastings to BB10 would be really helpful, as I don't wanna sink 500+ bucks into a device I discard after a week of using and not liking.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-18 08:26 PM
    I switched to Android (Yotaphone), and then Sailfish X, but recently returned to my Passport as my main phone. The OS is brilliant, The Hub is amazing. The browser is aging (but still pretty good) and app support is non-existent outside of some Android. It really depends. If a miracle happened and BlackBerry updated the browser alone--and I could replace the battery---I'd use the Passport indefinitely.

Posted via CB10
    Also, what is your beef with the BB10 browser? Site incompatibility? Speed? It still feels very modern to me, but admittedly I've not tried other OSs for a number of years.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-18 08:34 PM
    No way! I'm also a Passporter who had a YotaPhone (2) as well.

How did you like Sailfish? I recently almost bought a Turing Phone running Sailfish for 600 bucks off eBay but decided at the last minute not to.

I think I'm gonna make the leap to it pretty soon. Any comparisons/contrastings to BB10 would be really helpful, as I don't wanna sink 500+ bucks into a device I discard after a week of using and not liking.

Posted via CB10
    I would not test the waters with a Touring Phone. I seem to remember there being some issues specific to them, but can't recall what. If you are comfortable with it just install Sailfish X on a Sony as I did. As for comparisons between BlackBerry and Sailfish? Very different, and yet similar due to being swipe-centric. I'd still be using the Sony/Sailfish combo if it was capable of doing group texts. Apparently this is not a feature Europeans use much, so not implemented. But for personal reasons that are irrelevant I must be able to participate in group MMS. I really like Sailfish, but I also used a Meego phone years ago, and a Maemo one before that. So I knew mostly what to expect. I will return to it the moment it has this feature. But it is rough around the edges. Audio issues bugged me a lot, but some didn't mind (there is a very quiet but audible hiss during playback of speech recordings. It's a very pretty OS, unlike BlackBerry (let's be honest--it's utilitarian in appearance). But BlackBerry 10 is very intelligently thought out, and gets things done fast.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-18 01:14 PM
    Also, what is your beef with the BB10 browser? Site incompatibility? Speed? It still feels very modern to me, but admittedly I've not tried other OSs for a number of years.

Posted via CB10
    Many sites just don't work, or don't view the pages correctly. Mobile Reddit for example. And today I tried to buy concert tickets within it, and the browser was just not reacting to the areas and buttons needed to place an order. This happens more and more. Opera or Firefox usually work in those cases, but are less stable (Opera) and slow as a dog (Firefox).

Posted via CB10
    02-16-18 01:18 PM
    That said, file management is far superior on Android, and Android browsers have reader mode as well.
    Just have to note that file management is superior on Android IF you use a good third party file manager. The one that ships with Android is barely usable and is primarily designed for managing downloaded files.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-16-18 01:48 PM
    I would not test the waters with a Touring Phone. I seem to remember there being some issues specific to them, but can't recall what. If you are comfortable with it just install Sailfish X on a Sony as I did. As for comparisons between BlackBerry and Sailfish? Very different, and yet similar due to being swipe-centric. I'd still be using the Sony/Sailfish combo if it was capable of doing group texts. Apparently this is not a feature Europeans use much, so not implemented. But for personal reasons that are irrelevant I must be able to participate in group MMS. I really like Sailfish, but I also used a Meego phone years ago, and a Maemo one before that. So I knew mostly what to expect. I will return to it the moment it has this feature. But it is rough around the edges. Audio issues bugged me a lot, but some didn't mind (there is a very quiet but audible hiss during playback of speech recordings. It's a very pretty OS, unlike BlackBerry (let's be honest--it's utilitarian in appearance). But BlackBerry 10 is very intelligently thought out, and gets things done fast.

Posted via CB10
    To my understanding, only official Sailfish phones have the Android runtime, so I wouldn't be able to use an unofficial port as I need some Android apps for work.

You had the N9, correct?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-18 04:04 PM
    To my understanding, only official Sailfish phones have the Android runtime, so I wouldn't be able to use an unofficial port as I need some Android apps for work.

You had the N9, correct?

Posted via CB10
    Correct about the Android emulator. But Sailfish X for one specific Sony Xperia model is official to buy from Jolla. That's what I have. You buy the phone and OS separately, and install over the Android that came with the phone. https://jolla.com/sailfishX/

And yes, I used an N9 for years. It was a great phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-18 05:40 PM
    Many sites just don't work, or don't view the pages correctly. Mobile Reddit for example. And today I tried to buy concert tickets within it, and the browser was just not reacting to the areas and buttons needed to place an order. This happens more and more. Opera or Firefox usually work in those cases, but are less stable (Opera) and slow as a dog (Firefox).

Posted via CB10
    Try Waterfoy apk, or Q Brower Pro (bbw).

Posted via CB10
    02-16-18 06:26 PM
39 12