Good afternoon, I'm thinking about buying a blackberry phone with BB10. I don't use facebook, instagram or twitter. Really thinking about getting rid of whatsapp, my use is mainly of web browsing and reading PDF's. I need a good office suite and a calculator full of functionalities.
    Another thing is, does anyone use f-Droid apps? How do they work?
    Thanks for everyone.
    01-29-18 10:56 AM
    If you have to ask the answer is no.
    Bet you get one anyways though.
    01-29-18 11:07 AM
    Good afternoon, I'm thinking about buying a blackberry phone with BB10. I don't use facebook, instagram or twitter. Really thinking about getting rid of whatsapp, my use is mainly of web browsing and reading PDF's. I need a good office suite and a calculator full of functionalities.
    Thanks for everyone.
    What phone are you using now?
    01-29-18 11:08 AM
    the browser is outdated. so the answer is no
    01-29-18 11:38 AM
    Thanks for everyone.
    Apps are not good for social media of any kind, the browser is really slowing down and out-dated. PDF function and document reading is still good and basic office suite use is still good as is the native calculator (great IMO). F-Droid apps run well (I have 3 installed in my Passport) and are useful although the store is tiny. It's really difficult to recommend any BB10 device at this point with only 2 more years of meager support. If you can get a device for cheap and can get by with the basics then sure, go get one. Otherwise, I think you should pass. The texting/calling functions are really good imo and that's why I continue to use mine.
    01-29-18 11:39 AM
    Its file management, and abiltity to read and write are still great.

The browser will struggle with some rich content, but exceed with static considering its reader mode. Easy to invoke core abilities with web api's so your productivity is only limited by your creativity.

I can't in my right mind recommend it because of its lack of support, but I still wouldn't pick anything else. If your savy, it might just be perfect.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-18 11:55 AM
    I'm using a Lumia 640xl, just came back to the Windows Phone 8.1.
    01-29-18 12:02 PM
    Apps are not good for social media of any kind, the browser is really slowing down and out-dated. PDF function and document reading is still good and basic office suite use is still good as is the native calculator (great IMO). F-Droid apps run well (I have 3 installed in my Passport) and are useful although the store is tiny. It's really difficult to recommend any BB10 device at this point with only 2 more years of meager support. If you can get a device for cheap and can get by with the basics then sure, go get one. Otherwise, I think you should pass. The texting/calling functions are really good imo and that's why I continue to use mine.
    Have you ever tested the Lightning browser from F-droid? I used it a lot when I had Android and would like to know if it works. I found a new and cheap z30 for sale and since I always wanted to try BB10 I thought to give it a chance.
    01-29-18 12:12 PM
    Have you ever tested the Lightning browser from F-droid? I used it a lot when I had Android and would like to know if it works. I found a new and cheap z30 for sale and since I always wanted to try BB10 I thought to give it a chance.
    Yes, Lightning works well.
    01-29-18 12:26 PM
    I've had a Passport for years and have just bought a Z10 because occasionally I need to use a different SIM card for travelling.

I can highly recommend the Passport-- it is arguably the peak of BB10 development. The Z10 is actually pretty stunning (can't believe I bought a 2013 phone in 2018 which performs well). I'd guess the Z30 is mid-way between the two.

As long as your Z30 is cheap, give it a go. I would try and install as few as possible Android apps and rely on native ones. The Z30 should handle a few Android apps installed, but don't expect miracles. Android WhatsApp works it seems.

Maybe factor in getting a replacement battery? I say this because my new-old-stock Z10 is pretty good and has made realise that my very hard used Passport battery is probably past its best!

I can count on one hand the amount of websites that I have had trouble with. Actually today, I wanted to see what time a Starbucks closed and their store-locator page wouldn't load.

I don't use much in the way of Office suites for editing. Viewing XLS, doc, etc in the Blackberry Docs To Go seems to work very well. You can edit also but I imagine it is pretty limited.

Pdf's on the other hand are easy to work with with the native Adobe Acrobat reader. I often sit in front of a computer and use the Passport to sign or view pdf files. Sounds mad but it is true for me. You can sign, add notes, etc.

For me, communication on BB10 is its greatest strength. I hope you are impressed by the Hub.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-18 12:28 PM
    Yes, Lightning works well.
    That's good, probably, I'll use it as a second option or replacement to the native browser. Thank you very much!
    01-29-18 12:55 PM
    I switched to Android (Yotaphone), and then Sailfish X, but recently returned to my Passport as my main phone. The OS is brilliant, The Hub is amazing. The browser is aging (but still pretty good) and app support is non-existent outside of some Android. It really depends. If a miracle happened and BlackBerry updated the browser alone--and I could replace the battery---I'd use the Passport indefinitely.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-18 01:03 PM
    I've had a Passport for years and have just bought a Z10 because occasionally I need to use a different SIM card for travelling.

I can highly recommend the Passport-- it is arguably the peak of BB10 development. The Z10 is actually pretty stunning (can't believe I bought a 2013 phone in 2018 which performs well). I'd guess the Z30 is mid-way between the two.

As long as your Z30 is cheap, give it a go. I would try and install as few as possible Android apps and rely on native ones. The Z30 should handle a few Android apps installed, but don't expect miracles. Android WhatsApp works it seems.

Maybe factor in getting a replacement battery? I say this because my new-old-stock Z10 is pretty good and has made realise that my very hard used Passport battery is probably past its best!

I can count on one hand the amount of websites that I have had trouble with. Actually today, I wanted to see what time a Starbucks closed and their store-locator page wouldn't load.

I don't use much in the way of Office suites for editing. Viewing XLS, doc, etc in the Blackberry Docs To Go seems to work very well. You can edit also but I imagine it is pretty limited.

Pdf's on the other hand are easy to work with with the native Adobe Acrobat reader. I often sit in front of a computer and use the Passport to sign or view pdf files. Sounds mad but it is true for me. You can sign, add notes, etc.

For me, communication on BB10 is its greatest strength. I hope you are impressed by the Hub.

Posted via CB10
    Awesome! The hub, the gestures based navigation and security are the main highlights for me. I will avoid installing many android apps, for sure. Thanks for your advice!
    01-29-18 01:04 PM
    Thanks for everyone.
    I use a Passport as a daily driver, except for a few Apps that do not work the phone is smooth. As for the browser issues? I use bing loaded on the phone works as smooth as silk. If you want one jump in, waters fine.

Woof!
    Attached Thumbnails Will BB10 serve me?-img_20180129_141419bing.jpg  
    Qorax likes this.
    01-29-18 01:20 PM
    Honestly BB10 is the best of I have ever used and I have used all of them. It is the best for productivity, emails and office work. I have written several books and loads of articles on them. Social apps don't exist and the Web browser is creaky but works on for me.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-18 01:20 PM
    Its file management, and abiltity to read and write are still great.

The browser will struggle with some rich content, but exceed with static considering its reader mode. Easy to invoke core abilities with web api's so your productivity is only limited by your creativity.

I can't in my right mind recommend it because of its lack of support, but I still wouldn't pick anything else. If your savy, it might just be perfect.

Posted via CB10
    That said, file management is far superior on Android, and Android browsers have reader mode as well.
    01-29-18 01:25 PM
    That said, file management is far superior on Android, and Android browsers have reader mode as well.
    I dont doubt it, they are geting waay better. Though I tried to share a zip file 2 nights ago and my friends pixel wouldn't open it without a 3rd party app, and then still could not actually use the file.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-18 01:36 PM
    I use the BB10 Browser on my Passport SE, Z10 and Classic and it's OK for me. I have also installed Firefox and works but a little slow. It syncs very well between my BB10 devices and Windows10 Firefox on my laptop.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-18 01:45 PM
    That said, file management is far superior on Android.
    How so? I never noticed this.

....and Android browsers have reader mode as well.
    BlackBerry browser has a reader mode too. Unless you are meaning something more specific.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-18 05:01 PM
    How so? I never noticed this.

BlackBerry browser has a reader mode too. Unless you are meaning something more specific.

Posted via CB10
    Solid Explorer (for instance) supports almost every single possible cloud storage service as well as FTP, LAN, and WebDav. They can also be individually password enabled.

You can have split screens, drag-and-drop, themes, etc. You can also cast from within the file manager.

My comment about reader mode was that it wasn't exclusive to BB10.
    01-29-18 05:06 PM
    I switched to Android (Yotaphone), and then Sailfish X, but recently returned to my Passport as my main phone. The OS is brilliant, The Hub is amazing. The browser is aging (but still pretty good) and app support is non-existent outside of some Android. It really depends. If a miracle happened and BlackBerry updated the browser alone--and I could replace the battery---I'd use the Passport indefinitely.

Posted via CB10
    Heck if they kept the browser updated and I could run Netflix, amazon video and Hulu in it, I'd go back myself!

I could get by without most apps but I'm not into workarounds and I want access to subscription content that I pay for.
    01-30-18 04:35 AM
    Heck if they kept the browser updated and I could run Netflix, amazon video and Hulu in it, I'd go back myself!
    I doubt you'd enjoy the experience on a 1:1 screen, though. It's like watching videos on a tiny CRT TV. 🙃
    01-30-18 05:38 AM
    I have been bouncing back and forth between the K1, Iphone 7 and my BB Classic. I am currently using the Classic. Iphone 7 emergency phone in case of auto breakdown and K1 is boxed up again. After do consideration if the Classic is able to work as a hot spot, answer phone calls and text works for me. Only apps I really use are the Music player, Weather App, simple note, native cal. and the hub. I guess my needs are simple
    01-30-18 09:10 AM
    After do consideration if the Classic is able to work as a hot spot
    I would not send very sensitive information over the Classic hot spot as it will never be patched for KRACK and who knows how many other vulnerabilities.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-30-18 09:51 AM
    As much as I would really like to recommend BB10, I am an avid user, if it is your first plunge into the waters, it might be better to consider something else.

At the very least, I would strongly recommend you review your needs. If like me you are solely email, SMS, BBM and phone calls, with a few native apps and browser for quick searches ,and reading financial sites and newspapers, and document review/editing then it is a solid device (Q's and 9983's).

If possible borrow a BB10 device to try for a week. I recently loaned a Q to a colleague who had to be in Burma for DD. He said it was brilliant: always connected to the network for calls, and while the screen was small, it had better reception for internet. He had been using his regular Android device when visiting and was always dropping calls, slow download, etc. It looks like I won't get that Q back until he is finished with the DD in Burma . . . Likely 18 months.
    01-30-18 05:55 PM
39 12