After this major restructuring of the company and a possible exit from the smartphone market, can we still expect BlackBerry to push updates to BB10 devices?

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 09:01 AM
    I don't understand the "possible exit from smartphone" thing. Why do you think so? I mean, there's a deal with Foxconn from Taiwan for asian market, and we're still seeing leaks..

C000F331C channel
    12-20-13 09:07 AM
    No, it's pretty much over. Might as well smash your phone and toss it in the garbage. Perhaps I'll burn it and use it to heat up my igloo.
    12-20-13 09:09 AM
    I mean its still sketchy....the future is not completely secure. I just wanted to know whether the Z10 will stay relevant in the future or not.
    I hope it does. I'm in love with my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 11:50 AM
    I heard they will only support os4, glad I kept my 8320 >_<

? AT&T Z10 STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 ?
    Umaima_B_Dia, illlya and jevinzac like this.
    12-20-13 11:51 AM
    Possible exit from smartphone market? Great first thread troll.
    12-20-13 12:31 PM
    Don't want to bash a newbie, but......seriously?

Possible exit from smartphone market? Great first thread troll.
    I'm thinking clueless rather than troll.
    12-20-13 12:40 PM
    Will BB10 continue to get updates?-notsureif.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 12:42 PM
    ^this

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10
    12-20-13 12:58 PM
    Don't want to bash a newbie, but......seriously?

I'm thinking clueless rather than troll.
    Well, they're not exiting the "smartphone" market but it appears they're exiting the US and European markets. Not sure how much resources they'll commit to supporting a Z30, for example, of which they probably sold about no more than 50'000 units. So this might be a legitimate question - they won't / can't dump BB OS 10, but they can and probably will dump support for older devices. Personally, I'd be surprised if they supported the Z10 and the Z30 for more than, say, another year.
    12-22-13 12:04 AM
    The phone is only getting better with all these leaks. They wouldn't be coming out if BlackBerry wasn't working on New software. There's no way that they will just stop anytime soon, they've put so much money into it already, that would be an automatic death sentence. If the carriers dump BlackBerry then you can expect all the true fans to stay updated via crackberry.com so I'm not worried about it. I'll keep my z10 until it breaks and then I'll just get a z30 or whatever bb10 device is out at the time.

C00270EBC check out my Tattoo channel! Brought to you by Laughing Buddha Tattoo and Body Piercing
    12-22-13 12:12 AM
    Maybe the better question is whether or not there will be official support for the US market. We have yet to see an official 10.2 release from any carrier, and if they are exiting the consumer market in the US and Canada to focus on enterprise and emerging markets, where does that leave the consumer on any of the American carriers, most of whom are locked into a two year contract? It does make me wonder, especially as a Sprint customer who can't buy a handset online due to being a CDMA carrier.
    12-22-13 12:20 AM
    However much you hate on this post, let's be realistic. The company is in trouble. It must be surviving but it is extremely "sick". Now when companies get "sick" it's very difficult for them to recover. You don't need a degree from a B School to know that. It's in one of those situations where it needs customers to recover but it won't get customers until it is in a promising position.
    Moreover what happened to Palm? The webOS division? The OMAP division? The Apple and the spec revolution happened and they couldn't keep up. I'm not in any way saying that BB10 isn't keeping up. But it's just a case of too little too late. So you could say that my concern was valid.
    And just to be clear don't think of me as some random newb who has lost faith in Blackberry. I pretty much love the OS. I have been a past BlackBerry user as well. But I'm afraid I'm being realistic.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 02:32 PM
    However much you hate on this post, let's be realistic. The company is in trouble. It must be surviving but it is extremely "sick". Now when companies get "sick" it's very difficult for them to recover. You don't need a degree from a B School to know that. It's in one of those situations where it needs customers to recover but it won't get customers until it is in a promising position.
    Moreover what happened to Palm? The webOS division? The OMAP division? The Apple and the spec revolution happened and they couldn't keep up. I'm not in any way saying that BB10 isn't keeping up. But it's just a case of too little too late. So you could say that my concern was valid.
    And just to be clear don't think of me as some random newb who has lost faith in Blackberry. I pretty much love the OS. I have been a past BlackBerry user as well. But I'm afraid I'm being realistic.

Posted via CB10
    No way to hide this, BB is not a healthy company currently. They have realized the mistakes of the past and is changing direction with a renewed focus on enterprise. The intention is to stop the immediate bleeding and to break even within 18 months. Will they succeed? Who knows, but I think they can pull it off.

Z10 goodness
    12-22-13 03:51 PM
    I think nobody can clearly say what the future brings for BB10. BlackBerry hasn't made any official statements regarding upgrade plans for the OS. We all know 10.2.1 is in the works, yet I have no idea what comes afterwards. Quite some people hope for 10.3. My guess is we'll still see at least one major update for BB10 before the current gen of handsets will more or less end. However the past also showed BlackBerry as being pretty reliable when it comes to ongoing support for their devices.
    So far the devices are running pretty well and it is not like they'll stop working if, let's say 10.2.1 would be kind of the last branch for our devices. Taking a look at Android also shows the only way many devices keep getting supported is by the community through home-cooked software, where as official support sometimes gets dropped extremely fast.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    12-22-13 08:59 PM
    If my phone can be this good as a sinking ship, I'll follow it to the bottom of the ocean.

Z30 FTW - Posted via CB10
    ibpluto and habs_fan like this.
    12-22-13 09:40 PM
    No, it's pretty much over. Might as well smash your phone and toss it in the garbage. Perhaps I'll burn it and use it to heat up my igloo.
    PM me for an address to send unwanted BB10 devices. I'll see that they are disposed of properly (once they are no longer useful to me or the people I would give them to).
    12-22-13 11:20 PM
    However the past also showed BlackBerry as being pretty reliable when it comes to ongoing support for their devices.
    Yeah, but in the past they weren't almost broke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    12-23-13 12:04 AM
    They're not almost broke. They're just a small company again.
    12-23-13 05:19 AM
    As with all phones there comes a time when it will not receive any further updates. It has always happened and will always happen. Even the great Apple make products End of Life.

However, I suspect that the Z10 will continue to receive updates for at least the next year or two. Foxconn should help ensure that they are available and the cash flow should last at least the next year or two.

On a nicer note a friend of mine was sporting a Z30 yesterday. Had it from work instead of an Apple and LOVES it. Prefers it to the apple (better reception, size and the Hub). He was saying his organisation is testing it and moving towards Z10s.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 06:12 AM
    The other question is how will the BB10 OS evolve at all? Will they keep adding improvement version like 10.3 or 10.4 which will be compatible with the current BB10 generation? Maybe they've already started work on BB11, which won't be compatible to current devices at all, kind of like Windows Phone 7 devices weren't compatible with Windows Phone 8 or better the OS6 devices with OS7.

Of course every device will hit an end-of-life sooner or later, the question simply remains what the update process will look like.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    12-23-13 06:26 AM
    If my phone can be this good as a sinking ship, I'll follow it to the bottom of the ocean.

Z30 FTW - Posted via CB10
    That's the way to put it right!

Z on Channels
    12-23-13 06:30 AM
    That's exactly what I was going for. Will they add really usable functionality to keep up with the times?

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 06:59 AM
    What about the phones they're planning on selling in these smaller markets? What kind of phones will they be? Will they run BlackBerry 10? If they're cheap it doesn't really matter to me as long as I get a continually supported BB10 device.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 07:16 AM
    What about the phones they're planning on selling in these smaller markets? What kind of phones will they be? Will they run BlackBerry 10? If they're cheap it doesn't really matter to me as long as I get a continually supported BB10 device.

Posted via CB10
    AFAIK it's going to be all BB10 devices from now on
    12-24-13 06:05 AM