I watch a video on yoututbe that showed Google maps running on the dev alpha device. It ran just as it would on an android device but will all android apps run on BB10 without hacking it on?
    12-01-12 07:41 AM
    It will be the same process as the playbook. Possibly slightly better compatibility.
    12-01-12 09:59 AM
    It will be the same process as the playbook. Possibly slightly better compatibility.
    The dev alpha's android player is much better than the one on the Playbook. Compatibility and stability has significantly improved. It will be interesting to see how well it runs when bb10 launches in 60 days!
    meganVee likes this.
    12-01-12 11:16 AM
    This is just one of thousands of Android apps. What is needed is a way to have the BB10 OS be able to "translate" Android apps so BB10 can run them. Apple computers can now run many "regular" (PC) programs. I would hope BB10 is backwards compatible with apps that run on BB OS6.
    12-01-12 07:30 PM
    They will find a way to apply " FUSION " to the apps and make it more seamless someday.
    12-01-12 09:32 PM
    I personally hope that BB10 cuts off the gag green limb that is the Android App Player. It should be reduce to being a dev tool to help with porting apps to native BB10 code.
    12-01-12 09:47 PM
    It could be very cool and bravo if so.
    12-01-12 10:15 PM
    Good in the short term, but terrible in the long time.

Blackberry devices will need native, optimized, full featured apps to be competitive.
    12-02-12 03:11 AM
    Good in the short term, but terrible in the long time.

Blackberry devices will need native, optimized, full featured apps to be competitive.
    I agree, but what it does do in the short term is add apps quickly to the catalogue, and also show these devs there is a base out there for their wares.

Hopefully as time goes on BB11/12 etc, the android player will be phased out, as the reliance on android apps to fill the `app gap` will have gone.
    12-02-12 06:07 AM
    Am I the only one concerned about allowing android apps which are known for having malware run on blackberry?
    12-02-12 09:29 AM
    Am I the only one concerned about allowing android apps which are known for having malware run on blackberry?
    Blackberry apps have had malware too, it's a moot point. The Android apps are sandboxed anyway, so they're not going to harm your device.
    12-02-12 09:37 AM
    Most android apps don't have malware like people believe. The people that get those apps are not coming form the play store.
    12-02-12 10:11 AM
    This is just one of thousands of Android apps. What is needed is a way to have the BB10 OS be able to "translate" Android apps so BB10 can run them. Apple computers can now run many "regular" (PC) programs. I would hope BB10 is backwards compatible with apps that run on BB OS6.
    I think this is key. I'd love to see BB 6, 7 and 7.1 simulated like Android rather than Android 4.1 or 4.2.
    More apps for the mass market, but faster adoption by the corporate segment with tailored development.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    12-03-12 12:53 AM
    My reasoning why we won't see BB6/7 compatibility is screen size.

Android apps run inside a virtual machine on PBOS/BB10. Most Android apps already take into account various screen sizes, making it viewable on the PlayBook (1024x600), and BB10 (1280x768, 1280x720, 720x720).

Current BlackBerry devices don't have high enough resolution to match the PlayBook or BB10. The highest resolution on BB6 is 640x480. Unless the app runs in a small letterbox window, it could look awful if resized to fit the higher resolution screen.

Current developers would have to update their BB6/7 apps to handle the higher resolutions. I don't think most developers would want to spend the extra time converting for a platform that is slowly fading away, rather than using better tools and developing for BB10.

Would you really want to run a BB6/7 app on BB10 if it only used half the screen?
    12-03-12 08:37 AM
    My reasoning why we won't see BB6/7 compatibility is screen size.
    And likely processing power. PlayBook OS and BlackBerry 10 are designed to run on dual core processors and up. None of the 6/7 devices are dual core.

Also, BlackBerry 6/7 devices are not naturally designed for a touch screen, particularly a gesture based UI. How would it work on a machine with no bezels, a 2.4" screen and or a device without a touch screen?
    12-03-12 08:40 AM
    Most android apps don't have malware like people believe. The people that get those apps are not coming form the play store.
    I understand that any OS can get malware but Android is known for this and I am surprised that BB isnt taking any extra steps to make sure the apps they are allowing to run arent suspect. I also understand that although the apps will be sandboxed it doesnt mean that an app that requests access to your contacts for what looks like a legitimate reason isnt making copies of them as well, source codes being reviewed should prevent this in most cases but it seems only IOS review their apps in this way. I am not a developer though so I cant confirm or deny if any of the different OS's are better at preventing dodgy apps but this is my perception and as Blackberry are linked so strongly with security it would hurt them sooo much if they eroded this reputation just to get more apps in their app store.

The link below has made me feel a little better http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...issues-749168/

As somebody joking said 'perception is the new reality' I do believe this is true as as long as I feel safe using my phone I dont need to know about how everything works behind the scenes.
    Last edited by bobo616; 12-03-12 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Found link that addresses dome of the points
    12-03-12 11:14 AM