I paid what is a large sum for me for the passport & I want to know right now if the Android will be removed or not because:

1. I need it to run Android apps I require & missing in BBW.
    2. I would sell the passport before it loses all its value.
    3. I would not trust my comm business to BlackBerry anymore.

Can we get a straight answer for once ??

Bumpkin
    The answer is quite simple now. The run-time stays because BlackBerry has stopped manufacturing BB10 devices with the run-time.
    09-29-15 04:06 PM
    Could you imagine, how many apps from app world would stop working if android runtime was removed?

Probably, half of the apps in app world and android port and require the runtime

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 05:29 PM
    Could you imagine, how many apps from app world would stop working if android runtime was removed?

Probably, half of the apps in app world and android port and require the runtime

Posted via CB10
    So three, then?
    LuvULongTime and ppeters914 like this.
    09-29-15 09:45 PM
    For such a small diaspora of BlackBerry Google runtime users, would Google want to tick us off just to punish BlackBerry ?? I think/hope not.
    It's not about ticking us off or punishing Blackberry. Google can't make rules for its OHA members with respect to forking Android, and then make a different set of rules for Blackberry. They would be opening themselves up to a lot of issues with their HW partners and it is just not worth it to them. Even as a current BB10 user I can't disagree with them. I'd do the same thing.
    09-30-15 12:18 AM
    More interesting speculative info. Reason why 10.3.3 will keep the runtime? Its just a security update and EOL for Z10, Q5, Q10, Z30, Z3 , ie Google is willing to let it die on its own.

Attachment 373770
    09-30-15 01:13 AM
    Still not happy with the situation... my auto update is shut...

Bumpkin
    09-30-15 01:59 AM
    So three, then?
    4, I would say, according last estimations
    09-30-15 02:26 AM
    More interesting speculative info. Reason why 10.3.3 will keep the runtime? Its just a security update and EOL for Z10, Q5, Q10, Z30, Z3 , ie Google is willing to let it die on its own.

Attachment 373770
    EOL means no more updates after 10.3.3 for Q and Z?
    I dont get it, the Classic and Leap are like Q and Z, so why wont they update them in the future?

Posted via PP
    09-30-15 03:06 AM
    EOL means no more updates after 10.3.3 for Q and Z?
    I dont get it, the Classic and Leap are like Q and Z, so why wont they update them in the future?

Posted via PP
    Yes, IF the rumor is true. Wonder if CB still has contacts at Waterloo to suss this one out.
    09-30-15 03:09 AM
    Even if they did, what makes you think anyone in Waterloo knows. Further, they lie like fish... superiliousness a BlackBerry specialty...
    09-30-15 10:19 AM
    Actually it should be updated, now it's still kitkat or am I wrong?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 10:29 AM
    Actually it should be updated, now it's still kitkat or am I wrong?

Posted via CB10
    Jellybean right now.

Not sure if it can be updated if BlackBerry plans on joining the OHA. Will probably either be excised from the OS or grandfathered in its current state.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 12:48 PM
    Jellybean right now.

Not sure if it can be updated if BlackBerry plans on joining the OHA. Will probably either be excised from the OS or grandfathered in its current state.

Posted via CB10
    System reports android runtime 4.3 JellyBean-MR2
    09-30-15 03:06 PM
    Every major change upsets a lot of people. This board has proven that quite a bit in 2015.

March 2016 is probably a deadline given by Google for BlackBerry to have the runtime from its phones.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2474
    It's just a bloody security update. Not anything as major as removing the runtime.
    09-30-15 03:45 PM
    March 2016 is Armageddon for BB10 looks like.

Better have a Plan B folks.
    09-30-15 08:13 PM
    Jellybean right now.

Posted via CB10
    Not "plan on" but "have to". Priv won't have the Play Store and Play Services if BlackBerry is not part of OHA.
    09-30-15 08:21 PM
    Not "plan on" but "have to". Priv won't have the Play Store and Play Services if BlackBerry is not part of OHA.
    Which means the Android runtime on BB10 has hit its high point.
    09-30-15 08:28 PM
    Why would the Android runtime have to be removed from Blackberry OS 10? People seem to be completely confused about OHA.

Blackberry for sure has signed a contract that determins, how the new Android only devices can use Google Services. This contract of course can exclude OS10 devices. So there would and will be no impact to the existing Android implementation in OS 10 (and QNX Automotive itself, which also has an Android Runtime).

I believe that the scare is here because Blackberry removed Flash support in an earlier OS update. But this was something completely different. Flash was abandoned for it's poor performance and security holes, and even Adobe now promotes to use HTML5 (Adobe Flash is finally dead)
    Last edited by Cobalt232; 10-01-15 at 04:24 AM.
    10-01-15 02:42 AM
    Why would the Android runtime have to be removed from Blackberry OS 10? People seem to be completely confused about OHA.

Blackberry for sure has signed a contract that determins, how the new Android only devices can use Google Services. This contract of course can exclude OS10 devices. So there would and will be no impact to the existing Android implementation in OS 10 (and QNX Automotive itself, which also has an Android Runtime).

I believe that the scare is here because Blackberry removed Flash support in an earlier OS update. But this was something completely different. Flash was abandoned for it's poor performance and security holes, and even Adobe now promotes to use HTML5 (Adobe Flash is finally dead)
    OHA members and companies licensing phones with Google apps and services sign MADA with anti-fragmentation clauses which from previous leaked MADA can include restrictions on what Android versions can be offered and offering their own SDK derived from Android code.

In the past Google has used these agreements to prevent Acer from making Aliyun OS with Android runtime and prevented HTC from offering a dual-boot Window/Android phone and stopping Moto with implementing a different way to collect GPS data (Skyhook), Samsung prevented from including Android runtime with shipped Tizen devices. Now exceptions can be negotiated but BB would be at a disadvantage in any agreement and Google would have to weigh making an exception vs constraining their other partners from using the same exception. It appears from Chens statements on 10.3.3: thats it's a security/bug fix update, that Google may be willing to grandfather the existing runtime as long as further development ceases and as time goes on the runtime will become less useful.
    10-01-15 05:15 AM
    OHA members and companies licensing phones with Google apps and services sign MADA with anti-fragmentation clauses which from previous leaked MADA can include restrictions on what Android versions can be offered and offering their own SDK derived from Android code.

In the past Google has used these agreements to prevent Acer from making Aliyun OS with Android runtime and prevented HTC from offering a dual-boot Window/Android phone and stopping Moto with implementing a different way to collect GPS data (Skyhook), Samsung prevented from including Android runtime with shipped Tizen devices. Now exceptions can be negotiated but BB would be at a disadvantage in any agreement and Google would have to weigh making an exception vs constraining their other partners from using the same exception. It appears from Chens statements on 10.3.3: thats it's a security/bug fix update, that Google may be willing to grandfather the existing runtime as long as further development ceases and as time goes on the runtime will become less useful.
    Agreed. The runtime will not get any updates any more. But it will for sure not be removed.
    10-01-15 07:25 AM

Cobalt, since you created a G-Play alternative, maybe you can create a faux Andy Run time in case the ART is removed from the 10.3.3 upgrade.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    10-01-15 01:17 PM
    I paid what is a large sum for me for the passport & I want to know right now if the Android will be removed or not because:

1. I need it to run Android apps I require & missing in BBW.
    2. I would sell the passport before it loses all its value.
    3. I would not trust my comm business to BlackBerry anymore.

Can we get a straight answer for once ??

Bumpkin
    You do know this website is not Blackberry right so you have displaced aggression, towards people who brought us things we could only dream of never-the-less. Just saying?...

I brought this back as had to mention that as well as I think we have an answer now?.... No, it won't be removed.

I think. At least for SE's. Just messing with ya!...
    09-10-16 05:53 PM
    Cobalt, since you created a G-Play alternative, maybe you can create a faux Andy Run time in case the ART is removed from the 10.3.3 upgrade.
    Edit: I thought this was directed at the OP when I wrote the below.

I love it THIS...

Wish he could, if it was possible, cobalt would of known by now.

PS: Have you donated to Cobalt? Maybe you have but if not just a suggestion. **** Conite deserves something to for all of the repetitiveness he puts up with, no wonder he is how he is, now I get it. But he keeps on going. I am not saying I was never one of these guys towards him but he keeps on keeping on.

That is allot of his TIME. His Life...

Life is short, use BlackBerry!
    Last edited by CatchTwentyTwo; 09-10-16 at 06:04 PM.
    09-10-16 05:54 PM
    Since this was written I have purchased a Blackberry Priv and I've used it with some satisfaction and some hesitation. The phone is well-built and I have few if any complaints about its structural integrity. The phone is a hot article. Heat equals short battery life. The keyboard of the Priv is fairly well laid-out and somewhat coincident with the size factor of the keyboard of my old trusty HP Pre III. That said I was able to type like a master without looking on the HP device. I cannot type without looking on the Priv device. As far as the Passport is concerned, I recently picked it up to do some Wi-Fi work. The device is fantastic. The screen layout is better than the slab orientation of the Priv. The keyboard is much easier to type on. I have no trouble with the pop-up features of the physical keyboard use. The Passport is a great device. I have serious doubts as to future devices from Blackberry. I'm sad to say this.
    Worst case scenario is that you miss out on the security patch 10.3.3 update scheduled for 6 months from now.

I wouldn't sweat it. There's still a lot to love about the Passport.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Vistaus and DreadPirateRegan like this.
    09-10-16 07:38 PM
    If BlackBerry were to continue production of a devices along the line of the classic and passport and continue updates of the browser and some other native apps I would not mind if they removed the android run time in the interests of providing an ultra secure device. Fact is they haven't. BlackBerry ceased production of bb10. removing the runtime is just another step to dropping bb10.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-16 12:51 PM
61 123