I've read in a few posts here that 10.3.3 will be the last BB10 OS update, and that it will remove the android runtime to comply with OHA stuff.

Where the heck do these rumors come from??? I'm curious to know some the sources of these rumors.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-18-15 12:30 PM
    Misleading title man, people are gonna roast you :P

People are just speculating so far, I don't think anyone has a proveable source

Posted via CB10
    diegonei and citystars41 like this.
    06-18-15 12:32 PM
    thanks for putting oil to the speculators fire ! thanks for the very interesting threat . Are you considering delete it ?? or ?? you want to miss inform other people?
    diegonei likes this.
    06-18-15 12:41 PM
    Thread title corrected.
    Last edited by jhimmel; 06-18-15 at 01:51 PM.
    06-18-15 12:41 PM

thanks for putting oil to the speculators fire ! thanks for the very interesting threat . Are you considering delete it ?? or ?? you want to miss inform other people?
    Too many seem incapable of placing a question mark in their thread title.
    OK, take it easy everyone!
    We edited the thread title, so hopefully that's more clear.

Now... discuss.
    Mic_JP likes this.
    06-18-15 01:30 PM
    Well I wouldn't mind having BB removing the Android runtime and shell all together, saving me to erase this two files manually.

Nothing wrong with that, not having any of this A-ports running anyway so no need for it at all.

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.*
    stevovr likes this.
    06-18-15 01:37 PM
    Android runtime is moving to 5.0 with google services in 10.3.3
    06-18-15 01:40 PM
    Now that sounds more likely then scrapping BB10
    06-18-15 04:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think someone corrected it. Good.

06-18-15 05:07 PM
    OK, take it easy everyone!
    We edited the thread title, so hopefully that's more clear.

Now... discuss.
    Thanks for editing.

06-18-15 05:07 PM
    I believe that I first posted that the Android runtime would be removed in 10.3.3.

Where did this come from? I made it up.

It makes sense that it would happen thought. But, if you read everything I wrote, I also said that the runtime would be downloadable. This is the way tizen handles android in order to comply with OHA rules.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 06:33 PM
    Android runtime is moving to 5.0 with google services in 10.3.3
    Ummm... not so much.
    06-18-15 06:35 PM
    I believe that I first posted that the Android runtime would be removed in 10.3.3.

It makes sense that it would happen thought. But, if you read everything I wrote, I also said that the runtime would be downloadable. This is the way tizen handles android in order to comply with OHA rules.

Posted via CB10
    That's what they did with Flash, and it allowed them to stop paying licensing fees. So it sounds like this type of removal-on-upgrade is acceptable in the tech industry as due diligence to meet their part of such an agreement.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 06:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why would that effect BlackBerry's existing agreement? BlackBerry 10 and it's Android Runtime wouldn't be the 'fork' of Android.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 06:43 PM
    Why would that effect BlackBerry's existing agreement? BlackBerry 10 and it's Android Runtime wouldn't be the 'fork' of Android.

Posted via CB10
    Neither is Tizen.

If you want Google Services, you need to play by Google's rules.

Even Samsung has to.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 06:47 PM
    Neither is Tizen.

If you want Google Services, you need to play by Google's rules.

Even Samsung has to.

Posted via CB10
    Htc makes android phones and Windows phones. Last I checked, there's no Google services on windows but there is on android

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 07:21 PM
    Htc makes android phones and Windows phones. Last I checked, there's no Google services on windows but there is on android

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure what your point is.

Posted via CB10
    SteelGreek likes this.
    06-18-15 07:27 PM
    No

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    06-18-15 07:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is. BlackBerry 10's current 'competitive' (hardly) fork of Android would prevent them from becoming an OHA member.

They can still sell devices with other OS (windows, bb10, etc) as long as those are free of any Android elements that would compete against the 'real' Android.

BUT WHAT IF:

What if BlackBerry spun off a separate entity,.. call it BlackBerry Mobility, this new entity would then take on the role of making and selling these Android devices, while intact BB10 would be sold by BlackBerry.

Technically, BlackBerry Mobility would not be selling any non OHA devices. They would only license the BlackBerry Experience components (hub, bbm, keyboard) from BlackBerry. Surely this could satisfy the OHA requirements no?

Posted via CB10
    Uzi, Bari Yusuf and hasa77 like this.
    06-18-15 07:56 PM
    Another what if BlackBerry... rebranded itself as Nokia! And ran a complete OS based on the Light Phone... they could call it BlackLight. And it really would be the most secure phone out there.

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    06-18-15 08:02 PM
    What if BlackBerry raised Alpacas, dressed them in clown outfits, and blasted them into space? Hmmm.... Lots of options, lots to think about.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 08:09 PM
    You're not the first (nor the last) to be confused by this. The difference is that HTC's Windows Phone does not have an Android Runtime. If their WP did somehow, they wouldn't be allowed access to Google Play services, even though it's on their completely separate Android platform.

So... BB10 does have an Android Runtime. This means they couldn't have Google Play services on an Android device they made, unless they stopped having this Android Runtime on any of their other products, i.e. BB10.

Of course, Google could make an exception. But there would have to be a pretty good reason for them to do this because they wouldn't want to open the door to every other OEM to do this too. This is highly unlikely, but maybe BBRY has something they can trade them to make this exception.

I don't know enough about how these agreements are worded, just these general points. I'm not sure if another company that was a wholly owned subsidiary of BBRY, QNX for example, could be making the Android device as a workaround to Google Play.
    DaFoxGrey and dslocumb like this.
    06-18-15 09:25 PM
    What if BlackBerry raised Alpacas, dressed them in clown outfits, and blasted them into space? Hmmm.... Lots of options, lots to think about.
    Alpacas offer a poor UX when you swipe up from the bottom.

Couldn't resist!
    06-18-15 09:26 PM
    I wonder if the new android device will give them access to the android runtimes for all BB10 devices and also they are working together with the Android for work security.
    06-18-15 10:45 PM
    Maybe I am missing something here.. but android is not an OS but a runtime.. so turning to android can also mean using QNX with the latest android runtime and google services all nicely in a sandbox.. and then calling this secure android for marketing purposes.. wouldn't that make more sense than ditching BBOS10 altogether?... off course Google must agree to that.. and since they couldn't get all your data when running in a sandbox they would probably say no.. it is all about control and money I suppose..
    06-19-15 01:26 AM
91 123 ...