There is a bug where BB10 connects to a WiFi Hotspot and if you don't agree to terms or do not login, the OS thinks it is connected and allows any apps that are set to download or upload on WIFI will use your data or celular network in place. If you actually do login and use the WiFi but leave and then return without agreeing to terms or login again your phone may use your cellular network as if it were on WIFI. This could incur large costs to your phone bill.

After two OS updates I thought I would try and see if this problem has been resolved but unfortunately it has not. One way to see clearly is to have pending podcasts to download in any podcast app of your choice. To be safe don't have many or any too large for this test. The podcast app must be set to download on WiFi only. Open your Device Monitor and check the Mobile Data usage and more specifically for the podcasting app. Go to a Tim Hortons and connect to their WiFi but do not agree to terms. Now open your podcast app and watch the downloads go. Now go back to your Device Monitor and refresh it to see the new Data usage of the app. Be sure to Delete or Forget the connection when your done.

I was forced to adjust the settings in the Podcast app to download only on WIFI but also only when charging. This adds an additional layer of protection in case you forget but it's not guaranteed cause people often charge their phones at Hotels or at Tim's or in the car at Tim's.

Note: this does not apply to regular WIFI networks like your home WIFI.

How is it that I have not heard anyone complain of this? It's seems to me to be a big problem, not that I expect it to be fixed at this stage of the game.

WIFI Hotspot Login bug drains your data-img_20170502_185928.png
    WIFI Hotspot Login bug drains your data-img_20170502_185737.png
    WIFI Hotspot Login bug drains your data-img_20170502_185726.png

Posted via CB10
    05-02-17 09:38 PM
    How is it that I have not heard anyone complain of this?
    Maybe because it's not common for people to not agree to the terms of the WiFi they are using? Or maybe it's the process in which the bug shows itself that many are not using the exact same scenario? Who knows.
    05-02-17 10:23 PM
    I turn off data and once I get wifi connection. One reason why I never know about it.

Posted via Blackberry Passport
    05-02-17 10:54 PM
    Maybe because it's not common for people to not agree to the terms of the WiFi they are using? Or maybe it's the process in which the bug shows itself that many are not using the exact same scenario? Who knows.
    Not true Bla1ze, I only described a method to get the result quicker and catch what's going on. It should be very common for if you revisit that location another day to hook back up to their WIFI you would have to agree to the terms of service every time.....no? If you don't agree right away and wait in line to get served then sit down to get settled you could have all your podcast downloaded by then or a large chunk of data. This would also happen to frequent flyers in airports I'd think. I discovered this at my work when I tried a Hotspot but did not have the password then exited the setting to find later what had been happening with this lingering false connection.
    I wonder if it's just that people don't catch it or realized how their extra data charges may occur. I prefer not to turn off my Data so to not be disadvantage by not receiving a MMS. Besides I should not have to turn Data off when I should be on WIFI and my phone should know the difference.

Anyhoo this is just a warning to all in case you ever question as to why you've accrued high data usage for no apparent reason.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 05-03-17 at 08:50 AM.
    05-03-17 05:57 AM
    I wonder if it's just that people don't catch it or realized how their extra data charges may occur.
    From my own perspective, I don't care about data usage. Haven't even looked at it in like 5 years lol. I have a large enough data plan to never be concerned about it.
    05-03-17 02:36 PM
    From my own perspective, I don't care about data usage. Haven't even looked at it in like 5 years lol. I have a large enough data plan to never be concerned about it.
    Me either. I just sold a Passport to a friend and had revisit the issue, test it again and warn him of the potential flaw.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-17 08:56 PM