How does BB10 handle wifi calling (WFC) in sleep mode? Is it device and/or carrier dependent (assuming WFC support on both)? Is WFC in BB10 active or passive, and does it need an app to set it to active so it doesn't disconnect in sleep mode?

To add some context, I want to confirm if I will be able to receive calls and texts using WFC when my phone is unplugged and in sleep/standby mode.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-16 09:56 AM
    As far as I know Wi-Fi Calling is dependant on the Carrier... in the US the only one is T-Mobile, and yes you must have their apps for it to work.

So if you have T-Mobile or another carrier that supports Wi-Fi Calling on their phones and they support your phone (you didn't mention what phone you have)... yes should work in standby mode.

Maybe if you give us your Carrier, and what phone you have... a better answer could be provided.
    07-15-16 10:50 AM
    How does BB10 handle wifi calling (WFC) in sleep mode? Is it device and/or carrier dependent (assuming WFC support on both)? Is WFC in BB10 active or passive, and does it need an app to set it to active so it doesn't disconnect in sleep mode?

To add some context, I want to confirm if I will be able to receive calls and texts using WFC when my phone is unplugged and in sleep/standby mode.

Posted via CB10
    You can easily test this.
    However I am sure that it works in sleep mode as the feature would be unfit for purpose if it didn't.
    Let us know the results.
    07-15-16 10:57 AM
    I have a Z30, and have used both AT&T and T-Mobile. Both support WFC, but neither specifically supports Z30s. My WFC experience with T-Mobile was inconsistent and didn't receive calls or texts when in sleep mode, and other times I needed to reboot to get WFC back. That was prior to 10.3.2.2888, I believe few releases prior as the one or two prior releases had some regression with WFC. AT&T seems to have zero support for WFC on Z30s.

Maybe the problem is that WFC isn't fully supported on Z30s?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-16 10:58 AM
    I have a Z30, and have used both AT&T and T-Mobile. Both support WFC, but neither specifically supports Z30s. My WFC experience with T-Mobile was inconsistent and didn't receive calls or texts when in sleep mode, and other times I needed to reboot to get WFC back. That was prior to 10.3.2.2888, I believe few releases prior as the one or two prior releases had some regression with WFC. AT&T seems to have zero support for WFC on Z30s.

Maybe the problem is that WFC isn't fully supported on Z30s?

Posted via CB10
    WFC should not be model specific. It should work for all BB10 devices or none, provided your carrier supports WFC.
    07-15-16 11:22 AM
    What carrier are you currently using?
    Do they support WFC?
    07-15-16 01:31 PM
    I'm currently on AT&T, and they have WFC for iPhones and a few other Android devices, but I'm getting no WFC on my Z30 (currently Software Version 10.3.2.2836, OS Version 10.3.2.2876, and Radio Version 10.3.2.2877). When I was on T-Mobile I could see the WFC option (I think it was actually called Advanced LTE or something) in the Networks and Connections settings menu, although the WFC wouldn't actually activate on this OS version when it would activate on some prior OS versions, but such an option doesn't even appear let alone activate when I'm on AT&T. I had both an AT&T and T-Mobile SIM that I switched between to test this, and would inconsistently activate when my Z30 was on OS Versions 10.3.2.2789 and 10.3.2.2813 on T-Mobile but I never got WFC to activate on AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-16 01:46 PM
    I'm currently on AT&T, and they have WFC for iPhones and a few other Android devices, but I'm getting no WFC on my Z30 (currently Software Version 10.3.2.2836, OS Version 10.3.2.2876, and Radio Version 10.3.2.2877). When I was on T-Mobile I could see the WFC option (I think it was actually called Advanced LTE or something) in the Networks and Connections settings menu, although the WFC wouldn't actually activate on this OS version when it would activate on some prior OS versions, but such an option doesn't even appear let alone activate when I'm on AT&T. I had both an AT&T and T-Mobile SIM that I switched between to test this, and would inconsistently activate when my Z30 was on OS Versions 10.3.2.2789 and 10.3.2.2813 on T-Mobile but I never got WFC to activate on AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    Well no sense worrying about recieving calls via WFC when the device is asleep then.
    Looks like ATT is not bothering with BB10 WFC.
    07-15-16 02:02 PM
    What about on T-Mobile though? Even the two OS Versions that I managed to get WFC to activate, it would disconnect when in sleep mode, which would then not allow me to receive calls and texts until exiting sleep mode and reactivating WFC. Sometimes I even had to reboot to get WFC to reactivate.
    07-15-16 02:10 PM
    What about on T-Mobile though? Even the two OS Versions that I managed to get WFC to activate, it would disconnect when in sleep mode, which would then not allow me to receive calls and texts until exiting sleep mode and reactivating WFC. Sometimes I even had to reboot to get WFC to reactivate.
    I don't have t-mobile, BB10 or wifi-calling so its hard to say.
    Have you considered using a sip client instead?
    07-15-16 02:20 PM
    Unfortunately SIP isn't really a viable option for me as I would then need an additional phone number and SIP service provider, which complicates things and costs more.
    07-15-16 02:26 PM
    Unfortunately SIP isn't really a viable option for me as I would then need an additional phone number and SIP service provider, which complicates things and costs more.
    1. get sip service without a phone number
    2. configure you callerid so that your calls appear to come from your att&t number.
    3. when you are satisified that the service works well get a data only sim from at&t and port you at&t number to the sip provider.

4. enjoy the cost savings and benefits of thwarting your carrier's vertical integration.
    07-15-16 02:32 PM
    I appreciate your suggestion, but my searches show that going that route with a cellular data only plan and SIP service plan is both more expensive for my equivalent features I use and more complicated. Dependable WFC on my Z30, including receiving calls and texts while in sleep mode, is what I'm really looking for.
    07-15-16 03:15 PM
    I appreciate your suggestion, but my searches show that going that route with a cellular data only plan and SIP service plan is both more expensive for my equivalent features I use and more complicated. Dependable WFC on my Z30, including receiving calls and texts while in sleep mode, is what I'm really looking for.
    I sincerely doubt its more expensive, might be more complicated than you can handle.
    You gotta do what you think is right.
    07-15-16 03:29 PM
    Sleep mode by definition disconnects your cell service. Solution: disable sleep mode.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 01:10 PM
    Sleep mode by definition disconnects your cell service. Solution: disable sleep mode.

Posted via CB10
    Couple of questions...

Will a normal cellular call ring in sleep mode?

You realise that WFC stands for WiFi calling and should not rely on the cell service?
    07-16-16 01:21 PM
    As long as the phone isn't turned off then you can receive calls and text messages over a cellular network. So maybe sleep isn't the correct term and standby is, but I think sleep is still the correct term. The question is more about does wifi stay active during sleep mode like cellular does, or if there is a way to force it to stay active, and then how WFC interacts with it.
    07-16-16 01:24 PM
    As long as the phone isn't turned off then you can receive calls and text messages over a cellular network. So maybe sleep isn't the correct term and standby is, but I think sleep is still the correct term. The question is more about does wifi stay active during sleep mode like cellular does, or if there is a way to force it to stay active, and then how WFC interacts with it.
    Do you receive push email over WiFi in "sleep" mode?
    07-16-16 01:48 PM
    I did the following test with email having turned off the mobile network connection, but left the wifi connection turned on.

1) turned push off and set sync interval to manual, locked the phone and left it unplugged and untouched for 15 mins, then sent an email using another device, no receive notification.

2) turned push on and set sync internal to manual, locked the phone and left It unplugged and untouched for 15 mins, then sent email using another device, received notification immediately.

3) turned push off and set sync internal to 5 mins, locked the phone and left It unplugged and untouched for 15 mins, then sent email using another device, received notification within 5 mins.

I'm not sure if 15 mins is long enough as maybe there are several sleep states before wifi connections are lost.
    07-16-16 03:43 PM
    I did the following test with email having turned off the mobile network connection, but left the wifi connection turned on.

1) turned push off and set sync interval to manual, locked the phone and left it unplugged and untouched for 15 mins, then sent an email using another device, no receive notification.

2) turned push on and set sync internal to manual, locked the phone and left It unplugged and untouched for 15 mins, then sent email using another device, received notification immediately.

3) turned push off and set sync internal to 5 mins, locked the phone and left It unplugged and untouched for 15 mins, then sent email using another device, received notification within 5 mins.

I'm not sure if 15 mins is long enough as maybe there are several sleep states before wifi connections are lost.
    Ok so push works in sleep mode but you may be right about the different levels of sleep.
    I would think 90 minutes would be more than enough to reach the deepest sleep.
    07-16-16 03:58 PM
    I repeated test 2) above but instead of 15 mins I did 6 hrs (I fell asleep), and I received notification immediately. That would indicate that wifi remains active in sleep mode. Doesn't explain though why I don't receive calls or texts with WFC when the phone is in sleep mode.
    07-16-16 11:29 PM