Does anyone know if wifi calling is (or will be) supported on the BB10 platform? As a T-Mobile USA customer who travels internationally a lot, this feature is extremely important to me. And I know for many others who happen to live or work in areas of poor reception, it's also a god send.

Given there has been absolutely no mention of this capability in anything I've read so far, I'm assuming that it is not a current feature. But...can someone from Blackberry confirm whether it is planned as a future enhancement???
    02-09-13 05:12 AM
    There is a mention in the CrackBerry BB10 Review (done by Kevin). There's even a video!

See: BBM on BlackBerry 10 w/ Video Chat and Screen Sharing - YouTube & BlackBerry Z10 Review | CrackBerry.com
    02-09-13 07:26 AM
    It is supported, but it is dependent on carrier. I read somewhere that T-Mobile, specifically, will not be supporting it. I'm not 100% sure though...
    02-09-13 08:11 AM
    There is a mention in the CrackBerry BB10 Review (done by Kevin). There's even a video!

See: BBM on BlackBerry 10 w/ Video Chat and Screen Sharing - YouTube & BlackBerry Z10 Review | CrackBerry.com
    Unfortunately BBM video chatting is NOT the same as wifi calling. Wifi calling allows the handset to connect to your carriers telephony infrastructure via the internet rather than via cellular service. So when you are in an area of poor or no reception from your carrier, or if you're traveling internationally and want to make calls back to your home country or receive calls from your home country, as long as you have a local wifi hotspot your phone can connect to, it's as if your phone as a perfect, home country connection. You can make real phone calls to real phones (not just BBM chats only with other people who have BBM).
    02-09-13 08:33 AM
    Does anyone know if wifi calling is (or will be) supported on the BB10 platform? As a T-Mobile USA customer who travels internationally a lot, this feature is extremely important to me. And I know for many others who happen to live or work in areas of poor reception, it's also a god send.

Given there has been absolutely no mention of this capability in anything I've read so far, I'm assuming that it is not a current feature. But...can someone from Blackberry confirm whether it is planned as a future enhancement???
    I hope T-Mobile will keep this awesome feature on the Z10. My 8900 supports UMA and my 9900 has wifi calling. I'm on call and living in a poor TMO signal area and these features are a must-have for me.
    02-09-13 09:29 AM
    When I was negotiating my new contract with rogers as asked for and got wifi calling now of course it's not on z10 I do use it and will call rogers to see what's going on. Ridiculous to take my sim, get my 9900 and then get wifi calling there
    02-09-13 10:40 AM
    When I was negotiating my new contract with rogers as asked for and got wifi calling now of course it's not on z10 I do use it and will call rogers to see what's going on. Ridiculous to take my sim, get my 9900 and then get wifi calling there
    MyRogers shows WiFi Calling listed under the account profile for my BlackBerry Z10. I turned off the Wireless Carrier Network and enabled WiFi and attempted to dial using the dial-pad only to be greeted with a pop-up stating the cellular service was turned off, would I like to connect to the cellular network.
    02-09-13 10:56 AM
    thats a bummer, dont suppose anyone from rogers is on the forum to advise?
    MyRogers shows WiFi Calling listed under the account profile for my BlackBerry Z10. I turned off the Wireless Carrier Network and enabled WiFi and attempted to dial using the dial-pad only to be greeted with a pop-up stating the cellular service was turned off, would I like to connect to the cellular network.
    02-09-13 02:52 PM
    Wait, this is actually a thing? There are carriers that allow to connect to their phone line via internet? That would make roaming costs drop immensly... but how does it work? The carrier would need to provide an application for that which probably uses SIP. And you would probably need some kind of verification, user and password, to make sure that it is safe and other people can't make calls with your number...
    02-09-13 03:10 PM
    Yup it exists, have to ask your provider to give it to you, rogers charge something but they gave it to me for free for a new contract
    Wait, this is actually a thing? There are carriers that allow to connect to their phone line via internet? That would make roaming costs drop immensly... but how does it work? The carrier would need to provide an application for that which probably uses SIP. And you would probably need some kind of verification, user and password, to make sure that it is safe and other people can't make calls with your number...
    02-09-13 03:46 PM
    Well in my country this does not exist, I was just curious.
    02-09-13 04:09 PM
    Yes this really exists. But I believe the technology is only ever licensed to one carrier per country. In the USA, it's t-moble.
    02-09-13 05:23 PM
    I use it all the time when I travel. People call the US number and I get it wherever in the world I am as long as I am on wifi, I dial and their caller ID shows them the US number but I can be anywhere in the world. I just hope my T-Mobile Z10 includes UMA or at the very least wifi calling.
    02-09-13 06:22 PM
    Someone took a Z10 and put a T-Mobile SIM in it. Everything is working fine except UMA. No options for it either.
    We'll see what happens closer to release I guess!
    02-09-13 06:29 PM
    Someone took a Z10 and put a T-Mobile SIM in it. Everything is working fine except UMA. No options for it either.
    We'll see what happens closer to release I guess!
    I might be something like the 9900 release, we got the phone and the wifi calling software came months after. But I still need to find out, if I get a T-Mobile compatible phone now can I load the wifi software later or is that impossible?
    02-09-13 06:34 PM
    Same here, I just happened to test it out, does not work. I used to use UMA calls through wifi calling with my 9800 on Rogers before, so I do not know if it only is a carrier restriction or a feature that they removed, but it might be the latter.
    02-09-13 06:46 PM
    Yep! In the UK Orange have always offered UMA(/GAN) or 'Wi-Fi calling' on compatible BlackBerries (and some other phones). The BB9900 unfortunately has 'Wi-Fi calling' (which is software, not run on a special chip) and it's rubbish in comparison to UMA(/GAN), because the call quality is not as good, and it does not seamlessly 'hand-off' between internet and 3G connections

Both UMA(/GAN) or 'Wi-Fi calling' have saved me a fortune over the years, especially when I am travelling a lot in N America, as otherwise I would have been racking up more than $100/day in international roaming fees

Also, my ex lives in the middle of nowhere (think 'witch in the woods', I am sure you are familiar with the fairy tales...), with no 3G signal, and having UMA(/GAN) or 'Wi-Fi calling' enabled me to do work from her house (which was good for Fridays and Mondays...)

BUT.... (there is always a but) - rumour has it that Orange UK have stopped UMA(/GAN) or 'Wi-Fi calling' working IF YOU ARE ABROAD!! I have a 3 week business trip coming up in the states, so I will shortly find out if this is going to be hugely expensive....

I'm just hoping that we get UMA back on the Q10!
    03-02-13 02:58 PM
    I think wifi calling is winding down across the board.

I loved it, saved me a ton while roaming around the world.

Quite sad.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 03:47 AM
    O2 have an iPhone and Android app that uses wifi to make calls on your calling plan and it can be used abroad. You can even put the app on a phone other than your O2 one and your calls and texts will automatically come through to that too. It's kind of like having two SIM cards in the phone and as I travel a lot and have unlimited calls and texts, it saves me lots of money. Be good if they made a bb10 one so I could pop a local sim in but still get my O2 calls. The all is called TU Go if you want to check it out.
    03-03-13 04:08 AM
    Its a feature that I've always wanted but has never actually been available on my phone. I find it really strange that it never caught on, thought the carriers would have jumped at anything that got you off their network and still paying for their service.
    03-03-13 07:06 AM
    I'm looking for a way to get wifi calling via using TALKATONE and Google voice as I do on Ipad and Android.

Basically i get a second number on the phone and it's a free calls to the US Google line.

Tring to to find an sip workaround

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 06:16 PM
    Orange in the UK does UMA but not on the Z10. I believe the hardware is not in the Z10.
    03-04-13 06:57 PM