When there is no WiFi signal, do the OS10 phones somehow consume less power when compared with the legacy phones?

I noticed that, unlike with the legacy phones, the OS10 phone's WiFi icon disappears when there's no WiFi signal, even when the WiFi is switched on. I believe the phone continues to "ping" for signals because it gets connected when it is within range of a hotspot. But, does the disappearing WiFi icon on the OS10 phones mean anything different (improvement in power saving?) over the legacy phones?

I am also wondering why no developer has come up with the simple WiFi auto-off app like those available for the legacy phones. Is it because there is already no need for such function with the OS10 phones?
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    11-06-13 07:18 PM
    Hmmm, I believe just the opposite. When the wi-fi icon goes dim, I believe the phone uses more battery power and heats up looking for a signal. That is when I switch off the wifi.

Not sure how it operates as compared to the OS7 phones
    11-06-13 07:21 PM
    I don't know if it helps but I leave my wifi on all the time. Yes it uses a bit more battery because it will still actively watch for signals. If you are in an area with many wifi signals you don't use then it is probably best to turn it off to save battery power. If, like me, when you are not on wifi you are on the road or in an area where there aren't wifi signals at every corner (think city centers) then it is not that bad and doesn't drain horribly. If I know I wont be on a wifi signal for an extended period of time I will shut it off completely to save that little extra juice. But as long as wifi is on it will look for signals. I would think they should have an option to only look for saved signals. That would allow us to keep it on more often as the signals we can't access would just be ignored anyway and save battery. Maybe it needs to be addressed in future updates.
    11-06-13 07:36 PM
    Too bad Smart WiFi doesn't isn't available on BB10 yet.....

Smart WiFi ★ WLAN Power Usage Optimization - BlackBerry World
    11-06-13 10:34 PM
    I believe one of the things that BlackBerry said when they first released the new phones was that leaving Wifi on all the time won't really have a huge effect on your battery even if it's constantly trying to search for a network. I can confirm this, at least on my device.

I think BlackBerry said something along the lines of that the new phones were "optimised to use less battery" when running dormant connections like that.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 12:18 AM
    I don't know if it helps but I leave my wifi on all the time. Yes it uses a bit more battery because it will still actively watch for signals. If you are in an area with many wifi signals you don't use then it is probably best to turn it off to save battery power. If, like me, when you are not on wifi you are on the road or in an area where there aren't wifi signals at every corner (think city centers) then it is not that bad and doesn't drain horribly. If I know I wont be on a wifi signal for an extended period of time I will shut it off completely to save that little extra juice. But as long as wifi is on it will look for signals. I would think they should have an option to only look for saved signals. That would allow us to keep it on more often as the signals we can't access would just be ignored anyway and save battery. Maybe it needs to be addressed in future updates.
    Exactly!

Trusted Member Genius
    11-07-13 01:31 AM