I would love this feature on BB10:

"Wi-Fi Sense feature can automatically accept the terms of use for networks that are both free and trustworthy, getting you online much faster than usual."
    Windows Phone 8.1 will automatically sign in to trustworthy WiFi

I spend a lot of time in hospitals and clinics where cellular signals are blocked nicely and it can be a pain to have to jump through all the hoops to hook up to their free Wi-Fi. My daughter's Lumia 521 on Windows Phone 8.1 auto connects.

If I get busy filling out questionnaires, changing diapers, doing a tube feed for our disabled toddler etc, I can pick up my phone only to find it burning the battery down trying to get a signal because I haven't yet connected to the Wi-Fi.

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    05-23-14 08:27 AM
    You COULD develop a program that does it. I would pay for that!
    05-23-14 09:35 AM
    You COULD develop a program that does it. I would pay for that!
    The irony is that I actually began scoping it and then found that Microsoft had built it into their OS, so I kinda think it's just a matter of time before it's in BB10, which would scuttle my app.

05-23-14 10:11 AM
    The irony is that I actually began scoping it and then found that Microsoft had built it into their OS, so I kinda think it's just a matter of time before it's in BB10, which would scuttle my app.

You could try connecting developer relations at BBRY and asking them if it's a good idea to develop such an app. They can't really confirm or deny what is coming but they might at least tell you a simple yes or no. Yes being no plans or the plans are far enough out that you got a good sales window, or no meaning yes it's coming soon.
    05-24-14 09:20 AM
    I would totally go for that as well. Great idea.

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2947
    05-24-14 06:42 PM
    McDonald's hotspots are super slow to login, like multiple attempts that takes 30-60 seconds, so this would be ideal.

That being said, how is this not a violation of some law?

If I was a business owner, why would I want or allow customers to use my service but not abide by my terms? I would look at suing Microsoft.

Reminds me of how Microsoft forces eula acceptance on SysInternals after it had supported ways of auto accepting or bypassing them before Microsoft acquired them.

How is one AP considered trustworthy?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 02:12 AM
    This reminds me of a security flaw with developments like this.
    The T&C you read and accept for public hotspots also function as an extra layer of security. It makes you aware of what type of WiFi network you are connecting with, and when.

If you use methods for auto-connecting to certain public WiFi profiles it is super easy for someone with bad intentions to just mimick that profile. Then with some data interception method your connection is compromised, all the time thinking you are on a safe network. Or not even knowing you are connected, if you truly set up an automatic connection.
    For example the 3DS connects to Nintendo hotspots automatically for some features. If you just rename your SSID you can easily 'fool' any 3DS into thinking it is an actual hotspot.

Sounds unlikely that this happens on a large scale, but I have seen several consumer programs that actually warned for such behaviour ever since public hotspots started to become more frequent.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    Last edited by MrGlenn; 05-25-14 at 05:38 AM.
    05-25-14 02:35 AM
    Would be great to have while on vacation

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 10:41 AM
    MrGlenn, your post reminds me of an article I read about government officials being spied on at the Olympic games, while they were connected to a public hotspot. I cannot remember where I read that, but it was likely from CBC. I'll have to try to find it again.

Posted with my BlackBerry Z10!
    05-25-14 11:54 AM
    Yeah I remember that too. Just yesterday I saw a show about fake hotspots being able to intercept online banking traffic. Most of the people affected by that kind of 'hack' are those that connect to any random hotspot they can, without checking if they are legit. Even more interesting: the banks fixed this, but IE is still affected because they do not support the new protocols.
    ...MrGlenn, your post reminds me of an article I read about government officials being spied on at the Olympic games...
    So while this may seem like a time-saving possibility, for a 'secure' company like BlackBerry it would seem like a bad choice.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    pkcable likes this.
    05-25-14 02:23 PM