I was talking about the 5GHZ Wifi at home. I got a Netgear 6100 and after a reboot, my Z10 connects to the 5GHZ just fine.
    There is another AP in the hood on 5GHZ Ch64. It is weak but whenever it appears and I disconnect my phone from my 5GHZ network, I cannot reconnect to it anymore because it simply vanishes. The 2.4GHZ network is still there. In order to find my own 5GHZ Network again, I have to reboot the phone again.
    BTW, the same problem is with my two PlayBooks. My son's Samsung Galaxy S3 mini dies not have that problem.

Posted via CB10
    Ah OK thanks for clarifying. Yes I have a Moto X and an iPhone 4s that never have even the slightest problem.

So your phone disconnects because it's "confused" by this shadowy nearby 5 gig character..? I had a girlfriend like that. --Seriously though. I'm wondering why, if it's set to dual band, would it not just divert to the 2.4 GHz? Guess it doesn't work that way? Excuse my ignorance. I hope to make up for lack of knowledge with keen interest.
    12-30-14 07:25 PM
    Well, if I may, I don't think it's an issue with BB10.

I'm currently in WPA-PSK (personal) since you started this thread, and I had 0 issue since. All works as expected. Note that I set an AES encryption type, not TKIP. That can be your issue. But I think, as a next step, that you can search the web for a firmware update for your router...

And even if it's working great, don't stay in WEP Seriously though
    Hi again. OK. So I'm trying to digest all of this. Are you saying that it's absolutely necessary to update the firmware on the router? (Last time I changed -- just from WPA to WEP -- some of my roommates couldn't get their devices sorted for a week; I had to help them reconfigure, & I'm by no means technical; I'm an artist).. Also, since geographically, my place is so isolated, why is it so imperative to not be on WEP?
    12-30-14 07:33 PM
    Also, since geographically, my place is so isolated, why is it so imperative to not be on WEP?
    It's only a security issue, but a big one Of course, if you're isolated, the issue can be minor. Try to set a loooong password or at least to change it from time to time...
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    12-30-14 08:15 PM
    It's only a security issue, but a big one Of course, if you're isolated, the issue can be minor. Try to set a loooong password or at least to change it from time to time...
    Hahahaa! "Only a security issue" I like that
    Thank you for the advice Joshua. I'm going to do that for the short term. For the long term, I guess it makes sense to change to Wifi Protected (That's what WPA stands for, n'est-ce pas?) What do you recommend? WPA Enterprise? I did have trouble with WPA Personal before. But I've since upgraded my OS to 10.3.1.1154 and ergo, I'm just not sure.

And yes, I have scouted out the possibility of upgrading the firmware on my router (I found some relevant sites & data online) but I need to consult with the provider first, as I may need their permissions.
    Regards,
    Eric
    12-30-14 10:02 PM
    Ah OK thanks for clarifying. Yes I have a Moto X and an iPhone 4s that never have even the slightest problem.

So your phone disconnects because it's "confused" by this shadowy nearby 5 gig character..? I had a girlfriend like that. --Seriously though. I'm wondering why, if it's set to dual band, would it not just divert to the 2.4 GHz? Guess it doesn't work that way? Excuse my ignorance. I hope to make up for lack of knowledge with keen interest.
    No, it's not confused and that's why it disconnects.
    Let's say I leave the house in the morning connected to the 5GHZ. I shut of the wifi.
    I come home for lunch and my 5GHZ network is not in the list of available networks anymore. All others are still there, except my 5GHZ and the other mysterious 5GHZ network. Only 2.4GHZ networks are listed.
    So I reboot the phone and they're both back.
    Now there is times, I guess depending on the weather, where the mysterious network doesn't appear and I can disconnect and reconnect to mine without a problem several times in a row. Then this mysterious network shows back up in the list briefly and you can watch mine disappear without even being connected to it.
    And the router is on the latest firmware and I have reset it to factory several times already.
    My son's Samsung seems to be totally unimpressed by all this. Never happens to it.
    So why does it disappear like that on my Z10?
    And my phone had several OS releases on it and it never changed.
    And why does it happen to both my PlayBooks as well?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 10:17 PM
    No, it's not confused and that's why it disconnects.
    Let's say I leave the house in the morning connected to the 5GHZ. I shut of the wifi.
    I come home for lunch and my 5GHZ network is not in the list of available networks anymore. All others are still there, except my 5GHZ and the other mysterious 5GHZ network. Only 2.4GHZ networks are listed.
    So I reboot the phone and they're both back.
    Now there is times, I guess depending on the weather, where the mysterious network doesn't appear and I can disconnect and reconnect to mine without a problem several times in a row. Then this mysterious network shows back up in the list briefly and you can watch mine disappear without even being connected to it.
    Are-you sure that your router don't use dual band ? If you want to use the 5Ghz band only (it's not quicker though), check first your router, then when you set your network on your phone, disable the dual band :
    Wi-Fi problems are back for me-img_20141231_130939_edit.png
    And last but not least, check your preferred/saved networks to be sure that your neighbor Wi-Fi isn't there. Go to Settings > Networks and Connections > Wi-Fi and tap the Saved Network icon at the bottom (the first one), disable and change the priority of your network accordingly.
    12-31-14 06:14 AM
    The neighbor wifi isn't saved. I never logged on to it. Don't know the password anyway.
    The Netgear routers all have one thing in common: you cannot shut off dual band for wireless N. I have tried the 5GHZ only on the phone and it didn't seem to make a difference. Like I said, whatever the BB10 Z10 doesn't like about it, the PlayBooks do the same.
    That said, the 5GHZ is kinda worthless anyway, because so far I never saw an advantage for it yet. It isn't faster, not even file exchanges in home, in fact I saw file transfers crap out half way through.
    And the signals are weaker and the distance usable compared to routers from 6-7 years ago is a blatant joke.
    I have an old Belk in pre-N router that blows it out of the water in range comparison.
    The 5GHZ stuff was intended for less interference, in my case the opposite seems true. Running on 2.4GHZ with countless neighbor networks seems to be trouble free.
    This whole 5GHZ is a bit if a joke.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 08:20 AM
    Salut mon vieux! Long time no see. So, just to let you know, I'm no longer on WEP, have gone to WPA2 (high security).
    When I was having problems, router was set for just normal WPA.
    The other thing is of course, that I downloaded an all-in-one autoloader, courtesy of the helpful & friendly benbraun322. It is the 1949 version, coupled with the 939 radio, & am finding it wonderful! Battery life, speed, the look & feel of it, so much better than 10.2.
    Joshu42 likes this.
    01-10-15 04:50 PM
    5GHz is much better than 2.4. Sure the range isn't quite as good but a weak 5GHz network will work much better than a 2.4GHz with interference. To say 5GHz is a joke is clearly from lack of knowledge on the subject. I am a service technician and everyday I see issues with 2.4GHz and one of the best solutions is using 5GHz if it's available with the customers router

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 06:19 PM
    The neighbor wifi isn't saved. I never logged on to it. Don't know the password anyway.
    The Netgear routers all have one thing in common: you cannot shut off dual band for wireless N. I have tried the 5GHZ only on the phone and it didn't seem to make a difference. Like I said, whatever the BB10 Z10 doesn't like about it, the PlayBooks do the same.
    That said, the 5GHZ is kinda worthless anyway, because so far I never saw an advantage for it yet. It isn't faster, not even file exchanges in home, in fact I saw file transfers crap out half way through.
    And the signals are weaker and the distance usable compared to routers from 6-7 years ago is a blatant joke.
    I have an old Belk in pre-N router that blows it out of the water in range comparison.
    The 5GHZ stuff was intended for less interference, in my case the opposite seems true. Running on 2.4GHZ with countless neighbor networks seems to be trouble free.
    This whole 5GHZ is a bit if a joke.

Posted via CB10
    Your 2.4 is probably good because all your neighbors are on 5.
    01-11-15 07:02 AM
    5GHz is much better than 2.4. Sure the range isn't quite as good but a weak 5GHz network will work much better than a 2.4GHz with interference. To say 5GHz is a joke is clearly from lack of knowledge on the subject. I am a service technician and everyday I see issues with 2.4GHz and one of the best solutions is using 5GHz if it's available with the customers router

Posted via CB10
    In my case whenever I am on 5GHZ, I encounter slowdowns, hangups, failed files transfers and that sitting only about 10 feet from my router. I had that same problem with my previous router. That's why I bought a new new one, thinking that this was the problem. Just the other day, I was trying to move a 200MB video from my PC to my Z10. 5 times in a row it failed half way through, locking up the File Manager in my Z10 for a good 10 minutes after cancelling. The throughput started at about 1Mbps and slowed to a crawl after a while until Windows turned the progress bar from green to red. After that I gave up and switched to the 2.4GHZ network and tried again. It went through without a hitch, topping out at about 20Mbps throughput rate.
    You tell me what is going on...
    The connection failure rate to BB Link Remote Access is also about 50% when on 5GHZ. Switching to 2.4GHZ solves all these problems for me. I might not be an expert, and might not have all the knowledge as others do, but I am nothing short of disappointed of this 5GHZ technology so far, because it does exactly the opposite from what it was designed for and exhibits all the problems that a 2.4GHZ connection is supposed to be inferior to it. Where I live there is dozens of 2.4GHZ networks present and only one 5GHZ. Not to mention that just by going to the next room, about 25 feet away, and the signal is gone. How pathetic!
    I don't know why those manufacturers call all this crap "extreme range" or whatever else they use to call it. Maybe Netgear just isn't the brand fro me anymore.
    My precise lack of knowledge now comes into play in terms of why this simply doesn't work for me, and why it is the opposite of what it should be.
    01-11-15 09:17 AM
    Had a lot of WIFI problems with a DLINK router.

Dumped the DLINK for a Linksys (Cisco) and the problems are gone.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 09:24 AM
    In my case whenever I am on 5GHZ, I encounter slowdowns, hangups, failed files transfers and that sitting only about 10 feet from my router. I had that same problem with my previous router. That's why I bought a new new one, thinking that this was the problem. Just the other day, I was trying to move a 200MB video from my PC to my Z10. 5 times in a row it failed half way through, locking up the File Manager in my Z10 for a good 10 minutes after cancelling. The throughput started at about 1Mbps and slowed to a crawl after a while until Windows turned the progress bar from green to red. After that I gave up and switched to the 2.4GHZ network and tried again. It went through without a hitch, topping out at about 20Mbps throughput rate.
    You tell me what is going on...
    The connection failure rate to BB Link Remote Access is also about 50% when on 5GHZ. Switching to 2.4GHZ solves all these problems for me. I might not be an expert, and might not have all the knowledge as others do, but I am nothing short of disappointed of this 5GHZ technology so far, because it does exactly the opposite from what it was designed for and exhibits all the problems that a 2.4GHZ connection is supposed to be inferior to it. Where I live there is dozens of 2.4GHZ networks present and only one 5GHZ. Not to mention that just by going to the next room, about 25 feet away, and the signal is gone. How pathetic!
    I don't know why those manufacturers call all this crap "extreme range" or whatever else they use to call it. Maybe Netgear just isn't the brand fro me anymore.
    My precise lack of knowledge now comes into play in terms of why this simply doesn't work for me, and why it is the opposite of what it should be.
    Is that with every device or just your bb?
    01-11-15 09:32 AM
    Is that with every device or just your bb?
    My son has a Galaxy S3 Mini. He often gripes about the wifi as well. I see his device alternating the networks in the Connected Devices area of the router.
    I also have two PlayBooks. The Z10 and the PlayBooks eventually abandon the 5GHZ after some hours and don't even show it in the list anymore. The Galaxy always has it in the list but prefers the 2.4GHZ. It sometimes goes back to the 5GHZ, but not that often.
    If all this has to do with interference, well then I wanna know what it is!
    And if it IS interference, well then this 5GHZ is just an epic fail where I live!
    01-11-15 09:47 AM
    Have looked to see if there is a firmware update for the router?
    01-11-15 09:52 AM
    It is on the latest firmware since two weeks. I changed channels from 153 to 36 and it has gotten a little better. Also lower frequency is supposed to have better penetration. So it must be some interference. It's not supposed to have that, being 5GHZ.
    01-11-15 09:56 AM
    Have you used any software like WifiInfoView - WiFi Scanner for Windows 7/8/Vista to see what's around you that might conflict what channels are being used around you?
    01-11-15 10:32 AM
    I have a wifi analyzer app on my Z10. My PC has no wifi. These apps only show wifi signals anyway. There is a water tower down the road, just a couple of blocks away and it has a bunch of antennae on it. I know that police and EMS radio is on there and who knows what else. I remember when I had Cable TV and had the TV on CH19, every time police radio was used, I had crystal clear police radio reception on TV, knocking out the sound of the programming completely and just leaving the video. That channel was virtually unwatchable.
    I now have Dish since years, and even then on a clear day with no clouds in the sky at random times, I get a complete signal loss on the majority of channelsthat eventually comes back mysteriously on it's own the same way it vanished.
    01-11-15 11:31 AM
    They show what channels others around you are using. Perhaps finding a channel that 10 other close around you aren't using might help.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-11-15 12:15 PM
    They show what channels others around you are using. Perhaps finding a channel that 10 other close around you aren't using might help.
    Well thing is that I have the problem with the 5GHZ network where only one other is present. Everyone else is on 2.4GHZ and I have no problem with them there.
    This is what I don't understand why it is so worthless to be on the 5GHZ band.
    01-11-15 01:14 PM
    Well, this is interesting. After being on WEP for a few weeks, without a single Wi-Fi problem, I decided to try WPA2, & have once again been experiencing dropped connections.
    When I was having problems with WPA (basically all of last year) I had always hoped that the fabled 10.3 update would fix the problem. Now however, am running leaked 10.3.1.1949 (and love it).
    So that's partly why I decided to give the higher security of WPA a try again. But the Wi-Fi gremlins seem to have returned, with WPA.
    Once again, only my lovely BlackBerry is affected; no other device on the premises is having any issues.
    Will be watching this for a week or so, then decide what to do next.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 12:37 PM
    BB10 is known to be impartial if the security available is not of high standard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the issue is with the TKIP encryption type on your router.

I quote myself
    Well, if I may, I don't think it's an issue with BB10.

I'm currently in WPA-PSK (personal) since you started this thread, and I had 0 issue since. All works as expected. Note that I set an AES encryption type, not TKIP. That can be your issue.
    And still rolling No issue.
    01-13-15 12:53 PM
    BB10 is known to be impartial if the security available is not of high standard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the issue is with the TKIP encryption type on your router.

I quote myself
    And still rolling No issue.
    Salut Josh. Thanks for answering! Tellement rapide! How did you do that?

D'accord. Alors.. Deux questions:
    1. Why only my BlackBerry has the problem then? There is an Android and 2 iPhone, a tablet, as well as several laptops. None of which have reported any issues with the router. Ever.
    2. How to proceed?

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 01:03 PM
    D'accord. Alors.. Deux questions:
    1. Why only my BlackBerry has the problem then? There is an Android and 2 iPhone, a tablet, as well as several laptops. None of which have reported any issues with the router. Ever.
    2. How to proceed?
    1. Probably because other OS are not so impartial That's only speculation though. And I don't speak about the standard, but its implementation in your router.
    2. I read your Sony Ericsson W35 manual ; It seems that you can only enforce TKIP for WPA and AES for WPA2... And you're getting back issue with WPA2 (AES this time). I would like to have a new log of disconnection while on WPA2 if you can (To be sure it's the same issue).
    01-13-15 02:33 PM
    1. Probably because other OS are not so impartial That's only speculation though. And I don't speak about the standard, but its implementation in your router.
    I'm not sure I entirely comprehend this. In my mind, BB OS 10 is not being impartial, but partial. Or maybe, like I say, I just don't get it. Merci quand m�me.

2. I read your Sony Ericsson W35 manual ; It seems that you can only enforce TKIP for WPA and AES for WPA2... And you're getting back issue with WPA2 (AES this time). I would like to have a new log of disconnection while on WPA2 if you can (To be sure it's the same issue).
    I will get you a log report as soon as it happens again. Which means, probably within the next 12-24 hours.

Je serai bient�t de retour, n'importe quoi.
    Merci encore!
    Eric
    01-13-15 02:44 PM
463 ... 1415161718 ...