It's wep/wpa2...change to wep security setting and your wifi will work flawless albeit a bit slow .

Appalling for a security focused company!

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 02:08 AM
    I'm starting to think it's my mobile radio causing the problem.

When I turn it off, I get connected to my wifi right away.
    It seems to be a software issue in the OS for how it resolves its wifi connection, bit a radio issue.

The problem is that when BB10 is connected to wifi, it seems to periodically ping blackberry.net to makes sure that it has an internet connection. If it gets no ping back (such as a DNS error, their website goes down, or that wifi connection legitimately has lost it's internet connection) it alerts you that you have limited connectivity and bumps you onto mobile data to try to ensure continuity of internet connection. This much as been pretty well documented by many users when the blackberry.net website has been offline.

Why do this? Nobody is quite sure. I think it's how they handle hotspot log-ins. You try to connect to wifi, it pings blackberry.net. If it gets a hotspot log-in page (such as at starbucks), it asks you if you want to sign into that hotspot. If it gets no return at all (404 page not found), it assumes there is no internet connection.

Now, when you turn your mobile data off, the phone seems to bump back to wifi regardless of the ping results from blackberry.net (though I don't think we know why, maybe the reasoning is that a limited connection is better than no connection at all). We know this because when blackberry.net was offline, turning off mobile data allowed wifi to connect and work properly.

Blackberry shouldn't be relying on a ping from blackberry.net to ensure an internet connection. Granted, I'd prefer that it notice that it's lost wifi internet and then bump to mobile so I don't miss messages, but they need to find a more reliable way to do that check. Use a website that never goes down, or an IP Address to the government time server or something that should always get a ping and not rely on their own servers and that the DNS server from my ISP is directing the URL correctly.
    codeslinga likes this.
    07-10-14 02:13 AM
    I understand in theory of what your saying but I don't know enough about how things work behind the scenes (as in how the phone is designed) to say for sure that's the issue.
    I know there is an issue because I drip wifi constantly unless I turn off data then it works flawlessly. However, if I leave data on I'll get the "Limited connection " error multiple times in the evening. Every evening. I find it hard to believe BlackBerry is down that much?

There IS a BlackBerry wifi problem. I'm just not sure that that's the reason for it. For example : I've had the issue long before BlackBerry had that big site issue for like 12 hrs a couple weeks ago and I still have it daily.

Posted via CB10 I
    07-10-14 04:41 AM
    Both devices q10 ( verizon)& z30 (AT&T) wouldn't connect to wifi at the gym this morning.

Some time between yesterday and today both had toggled off "enable connections" and "hidden ssid". Once I toggled back on, both connected.

So this time was a software issue. And since I'm on 700 dev I can't complain. Just making observation.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.x.xxx & Q10SQN100-2/10.3.X.XXX
    07-10-14 08:23 AM
    Just updating:

Last night I had issues connecting to my home network.

As I stated in my original post, to start this thread, as a trouble shooter I first tried to connect to blackberry.com and blackberry.net. Both sites were down and timed out. Same was true when trying the sites from my laptop which by the way WAS connected to my home network.

The issue didn't last long though. Perhaps 10 minutes at most but when the blackberry sites went back up so did my phone's ability to connect to my network did.

So it appears it is still pinging blackberry.com or net again confirming my views stated multiple times that this is indeed a BlackBerry issue.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    kbz1960 and kennyiceberry like this.
    07-10-14 10:21 AM
    I've just tried setting the IP address on my saved home wifi network manually instead of telling the Z10 to acquire the IP address automatically from my home wifi modem-router.

I've used my home network modem's IP settings, which are, in this case, AT&T's IP settings, but have put in my own DNS settings. In other words, I've put in an IP address, 192.168.1.115, which is in my home wifi network range, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway set to the router address, 192.168.1.254, DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's DNS servers), and att.net for Domain Suffix (I'm not sure what domain suffix to use with different DNS addresses).

It gets on the Internet (even with the mobile ATT data turned off) very well. After about 15 hours, I have had no notifications of wifi disconnection or being unable to connect to certain Internet sites, It sort of sounds like a DNS resolution issue.

My home modem-router is a NVG510 Motorola, AT&T provided, and is known for responding too slowly using the DNS addresses used by AT&T, and causes a computer or a BB to decide that the WiFI isn't working properly. This can be remedied by using different DNS addresses, like OpenDNS or Google's DNS, but only if the modem-router DNS settings are bypassed, which can be done on a computer by adding in the desired DNS settings, or, in this case, setting up the WifI connection manually on the Z10 "computer."

This is only a partial workaround to BlackBerry's problem, if, in fact, it continues to work, and is only useful on a wifi network in which you can see the router's IP address and DNS settings. So, it may the answer at home or at work, but not at the local Starbucks hotspot or other public WiFi networks.

I'm hoping others here can try the manual setup as an experiment. Go to the Z10/Q10/Z30 wifi settings, turn off wifi, edit a saved wifi setting by unchecking automatic IP, and enter your router's settings manually, but put in either a Google or OpenDNS DNS address. Then save the wifi setting and connect to it.
    07-14-14 12:13 PM
    Nice work KenV54. I'd like to give this a shot too when I have time, though it does seem like an awful lot of bother and quite fiddly if course. I also wonder how long might be a reasonable time to wait before one could say the issue has been fixed. I would think at least a week would make sense. That's the typical time after which other solutions I have tried stop working!
    07-14-14 12:39 PM
    Nice work KenV54. I'd like to give this a shot too when I have time, though it does seem like an awful lot of bother and quite fiddly if course. I also wonder how long might be a reasonable time to wait before one could say the issue has been fixed. I would think at least a week would make sense. That's the typical time after which other solutions I have tried stop working!
    Thanks, kennyiceberry.

Yes, it's a lot of work, not what a typical smartphone end user should have to do, and it would have to be done for each wifi network for which the information was available. As I said, this is only a temporary workaround if it works at all. I agree that it has to hold for more than a day to be considered a fix.

If DNS resolution is the issue here, Blackberry devices and/or the OS should be able to accommodate to the resolution problems of various and varied wifi networks, without "timing out."
    07-14-14 12:47 PM
    When I was having the problem, I'd tried manual ip settings, but still had issues. I had tried it on multiple routers also.

Posted with my Z10
    07-14-14 01:39 PM
    When I was having the problem, I'd tried manual ip settings, but still had issues. I had tried it on multiple routers also.

Posted with my Z10
    So far, it's still holding up. The only thing I changed was to a manual setting on the Z10. I'll see how it goes for a couple days.
    07-14-14 09:31 PM
    I'm at about 48 hours now after manual configuration of my home wifi. I did upgrade from 10.2.1.3247 to 3253 about 3 hours ago, and still no wifi connection issues.

I would still like to get some confirmation that this solves the problem from some others. One person here says he "still had problems" with wifi after manually configuring, even with several different routers, although he didn't say exactly what the the issues were.
    07-15-14 09:33 PM
    This problem is getting on my nerves. Still facing them

Z10 10.2.1.2977
    07-30-14 11:25 PM
    Hmmmm I totally forgot about this problem until noticing this thread.... hasn't happened to me for quite some time now..... used to happen multiple times a day...

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 07:10 AM
    Still happens to me all the time. I've just dealt with it like others have. I turn data off when I get home.

Problem *kinda* solved?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 07:29 AM
    I had one incident last night since weeks.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 07:47 AM
    I don't think there is a specific reason as to why or why not it happens. It hasn't happened to me in over a month going from 2-3 times a day or so, and i have done nothing different.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 02:36 PM
    Has there been any fix to this issue yet? I tried to update my Z10 last night over wifi and through Blackberry link but it keeps telling me my phone os is up to date, I'm running version 10.2.1.2179.

I've had the wifi problem pretty much ever since I got this phone. It will connect to my home wifi, then it just drops it, giving me the 'limited wifi connection' error. I have tried every workaround suggested in these forums for this issue, and the only one that seems to have any success is to switch off mobile data, and even that doesn't work 100% of the time. Plus, I don't get text messages when my mobile data is switched off and this is annoying. I shouldn't have to do this workaround though. Why has Blackberry not resolved this issue? From what I've seen, this is an issue that's been going on for months! I never had this problem with any other device I've ever had. No other device in this household has any issues with connecting to wifi, only my Z10.

I just recently switched to a Blackberry Z10 (AT&T Gophone plan) after a nightmare stint as a Virgin mobile customer on iPhone, followed by serious hardware problems with a Samsung Galaxy S2 on AT&T Gophone, neither of which had any wifi issues. I'm feeling some buyer's remorse here. If Blackberry won't solve this issue, and won't even address it, then I guess we are all screwed, eh? Not a very good company ethic if you ask me. I like my Blackberry phone, but I really do NOT like having to fiddle with my phone for ages just to get it to work properly. Grrrr!
    08-06-14 07:49 AM
    Sounds like that is your carriers current then. Download another carriers OS for your phone model, backup and install it.
    08-09-14 01:18 PM
    I had almost daily wifi problems since I got my Z30 in January but haven't had an issue in over 4 weeks. Haven't changed any router or settings either but am happy not to be burning thru my data without even realizing it as in the past.

My bitchin' Z30 BlackBerry
    08-09-14 01:32 PM
    Has there been any fix to this issue yet? I tried to update my Z10 last night over wifi and through Blackberry link but it keeps telling me my phone os is up to date, I'm running version 10.2.1.2179.

I've had the wifi problem pretty much ever since I got this phone. It will connect to my home wifi, then it just drops it, giving me the 'limited wifi connection' error. I have tried every workaround suggested in these forums for this issue, and the only one that seems to have any success is to switch off mobile data, and even that doesn't work 100% of the time. Plus, I don't get text messages when my mobile data is switched off and this is annoying. I shouldn't have to do this workaround though. Why has Blackberry not resolved this issue? From what I've seen, this is an issue that's been going on for months! I never had this problem with any other device I've ever had. No other device in this household has any issues with connecting to wifi, only my Z10.

I just recently switched to a Blackberry Z10 (AT&T Gophone plan) after a nightmare stint as a Virgin mobile customer on iPhone, followed by serious hardware problems with a Samsung Galaxy S2 on AT&T Gophone, neither of which had any wifi issues. I'm feeling some buyer's remorse here. If Blackberry won't solve this issue, and won't even address it, then I guess we are all screwed, eh? Not a very good company ethic if you ask me. I like my Blackberry phone, but I really do NOT like having to fiddle with my phone for ages just to get it to work properly. Grrrr!
    Just curious -- did you try setting up your wifi manually for your household connection? When I did that, as described in some earlier posts, I never had the problem. I don't suggest that that is an adequate solution to the general BlackBerry wifi issue, but it worked for me at home, anyway. If you have done a manual wifi configuration and still have the disconnects, then I don't know what else to suggest.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 03:29 PM
    Right when I think I have it all figured out, a new wifi issue happens. This leads me to believe we will NEVER be justified in blaming JUST BlackBerry hardware or out i.p. Provider, or our routers, or our phone software or BlackBerry. Com or the weather.

This weekend I noticed my z30 (AT&T) had dropped wifi so I checked my q10(vzn) & my husband's curve (vzn) & his iPhone (AT&T) and yet my mother who has an iPhone and also lives an hour away and has regular AT&T DSL dropped her signal All weekend too.

All were intermittently dropping wifi. Some were connected when others weren't. So I got on phone w/ AT&T u-verse and tech said the router needed to be on a diff channel. So he programmed to the strongest signal at that time.

Then I used a notification settings in Hub++ to alert me when no wifi was available. It has bounced on & off all weekend.

The weather here in GA was overcast/ raining/ sunny/ humid. All in one day. LoL

So truth is the following will affect wifi:

Router
    Router channel
    Router setup
    Internet provider
    Phone hardware
    Phone software
    Weather
    Atmospheric changes
    Internet traffic
    # of devices on one router
    BlackBerry. Com (though I am still not convinced all BlackBerry phones have to access BlackBerry. Com to access the Internet)

Anyway BlackBerry bashing EVERY TIME Wifi drops is completely and totally unjustified. - IMO

Z30/10.3.x.xxxx & Q10/10.3.x.xxxx
    08-11-14 06:42 AM
    So what is your theory when every device that isn't a bb works fine yet every bb had the issue?

I know we are all nit fighting the same demon and I haven't had the wife issue for some time now. And when I did, I had ZERO issues with anything that wasn't made by bb.
    08-11-14 06:48 AM
    So what is your theory when every device that isn't a bb works fine yet every bb had the issue?

I know we are all nit fighting the same demon and I haven't had the wife issue for some time now. And when I did, I had ZERO issues with anything that wasn't made by bb.
    Same here.
    I just believe there's separate issues people are having but because they're all wifi related it's getting lumped in together.
    Having said that though, I've just come to terms with it and just shut data off when I get home and I'm fine. It's not that big of a deal to me anymore. I'm interested as to what is actually causing it, though I don't think we'll ever really find out.

Posted via CB10 (Via limited WiFi connection)
    08-11-14 07:35 AM

Well, as I stated in my post, 2 iphones were having same issue as the BlackBerry's.

And as I type this, my z30 will not connect to wifi yet my Q10 is connected.

Z30/10.3.x.xxxx & Q10/10.3.x.xxxx
    08-11-14 10:31 PM
    I've just tried setting the IP address on my saved home wifi network manually instead of telling the Z10 to acquire the IP address automatically from my home wifi modem-router.

I've used my home network modem's IP settings, which are, in this case, AT&T's IP settings, but have put in my own DNS settings. In other words, I've put in an IP address, 192.168.1.115, which is in my home wifi network range, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway set to the router address, 192.168.1.254, DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's DNS servers), and att.net for Domain Suffix (I'm not sure what domain suffix to use with different DNS addresses).

It gets on the Internet (even with the mobile ATT data turned off) very well. After about 15 hours, I have had no notifications of wifi disconnection or being unable to connect to certain Internet sites, It sort of sounds like a DNS resolution issue.

My home modem-router is a NVG510 Motorola, AT&T provided, and is known for responding too slowly using the DNS addresses used by AT&T, and causes a computer or a BB to decide that the WiFI isn't working properly. This can be remedied by using different DNS addresses, like OpenDNS or Google's DNS, but only if the modem-router DNS settings are bypassed, which can be done on a computer by adding in the desired DNS settings, or, in this case, setting up the WifI connection manually on the Z10 "computer."

This is only a partial workaround to BlackBerry's problem, if, in fact, it continues to work, and is only useful on a wifi network in which you can see the router's IP address and DNS settings. So, it may the answer at home or at work, but not at the local Starbucks hotspot or other public WiFi networks.

I'm hoping others here can try the manual setup as an experiment. Go to the Z10/Q10/Z30 wifi settings, turn off wifi, edit a saved wifi setting by unchecking automatic IP, and enter your router's settings manually, but put in either a Google or OpenDNS DNS address. Then save the wifi setting and connect to it.
    Thanks VERY much for this write up!
    I've been having a problem connecting with one of our routers at work. (Actiontec C1000A) The other (older) one works fine. (Actiontec WRT-something. It's at our studio, a block away) And never a problem on my home router. (Netgear WND 3700, I think?)
    Plugged in these settings and BINGO!

One more thing I've noticed is; if I set up a new OS on a router, it always works on it during setup. Later, the work router setup will stop working.
    Last edited by saxxman; 08-23-14 at 09:03 PM.
    lady of the lake likes this.
    08-23-14 05:52 PM
463 ... 1112131415 ...