The next workaround will be to shut off your BB, take out the SIM card, put it into your new Galaxy S5, turn on your new GS5, download the eBay app take picture of your BB and list it on eBay.
    LMAO!

My understanding is that, when wifi is enabled, the device calls home to verify a solid connection. If the BlackBerry servers are down, it gets no response and assumes the problem is with the user's wifi network. So it switches to data. But if data is disabled, the device can't perform this check, so wifi isn't touched.

So if that is it in a nutshell, what's the purpose of this ping test? There must be some reason behind it. Someone mentioned earlier it's to provide seamless integration to mobile hot spots, but why is it no one else but BlackBerry does this?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 and NYMETSFAN86 like this.
    06-18-14 06:51 AM
    I'm sure BB is trying to get this worked out. I'm more shocked over the people talking about jumping ship then the problem itself. People just love jumping on the Hate BB Train. I know i know... this wifi thing is a pain... i know i know... BB should be saying something about it. But I won't be putting my Z30 on ebay anytime soon. Ok.. let the hate continue.
    marknmel likes this.
    06-18-14 07:23 AM
    omg. i was sooooo wrong. sorry guys. my applogies.

yeah, i thought router or any similar issue. ffs. only now I saw this tread. and yeah - it happened to me in UK. and bb.com is down.

blackberry spoiled their image in 2011 outage when servers went down.
    now this.. guys, how hard can it be?

and yeah - this is the STUPIDEST THING i have ever seen in my life.
    As I said in a closed thread.

It's almost like a BIS outage but not as bad. ET phones home no one answers and ET just starts using mobile data. Why does it not effect mobile data and only wifi? Why does anything connected to wifi need to phone home first to connect when anything else can connect without phoning home?

Another bb server, site issue. Why are they so bad at keeping them up and running?
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-18-14 at 08:16 AM.
    06-18-14 07:55 AM
    I'm sure BB is trying to get this worked out. I'm more shocked over the people talking about jumping ship then the problem itself. People just love jumping on the Hate BB Train. I know i know... this wifi thing is a pain... i know i know... BB should be saying something about it. But I won't be putting my Z30 on ebay anytime soon. Ok.. let the hate continue.
    How long will you continue to convince yourself that BB will get this worked out. This has been an issue for years now (PlayBook still has it) and they have done nothing about it. If we've stuck with BB this long, we have every right to bash. Any company with a "known" issue that doesn't respond and fix the problem is not doing their job. Like I posted in another thread, here's a great line from Jimmy. Fallon's movie "Fever Pitch" (yes, huge baseball fan) that says it all. Just substitute the word. "BlackBerry" for Red Sox.

Ryan: You love the Red Sox, but have they ever loved you back?
    Ben: Who do you think you are, Dr. Phil? Go on, get outta here!
    06-18-14 08:13 AM
    I've just figured out why I will show 4glte on home screen yet show connection to wifi network in phone settings!

If wifi network speeds slow to lower than carrier network, phone automatically switches to fastest network (carrier) but it never disconnects from wifi. So when wifi speed comes back to fastest them phone switches back.

Meaning the icon on home screen is the accurate indication.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.0.296 & Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.296
    06-18-14 08:15 AM
    I've just figured out why I will show 4glte on home screen yet show connection to wifi network in phone settings!

If wifi network speeds slow to lower than carrier network, phone automatically switches to fastest network (carrier) but it never disconnects from wifi. So when wifi speed comes back to fastest them phone switches back.

Meaning the icon on home screen is the accurate indication.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.0.296 & Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.296
    I don't like that if that is the way it works. It's wrong. With LTE and beyond the mobile will be faster than a lot of peoples ISP.
    06-18-14 08:17 AM
    I had this happen to me occasionally, usually turning off wifi and turning back on works. Even to the extended of restarting the device. Last night, same thing happening like everyone else. Turning off and turning back on did not work either. But turning off voice and data work eventually work. I wish there's an app telling me my wifi is off when at home. Been burning my data unnecessary of late. This issue is certainly a concern for BlackBerry users.
    A few OS releases back, whenever the Limited Wifi Connection occurred, the system sound notification went off. It doesn't do that anymore. Same for when you had a problem with the password on one of the email accounts.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:27 AM
    The dependency that BB10's Wi-Fi functionality has on blackberry.com has been confirmed by Mistake Clewley at BlackBerry:

https://twitter.com/MichaelClewley/s...58275015475200

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    06-18-14 08:27 AM
    Instead of closing down threads on is subject, why not take a totally different approach......FIX THE PROBLEM!

I think it's safe to say that we'd all like to spend our time more productively but that seems to be the furthest thing from the minds at BlackBerry. I guess they feel that they can just lay people off and not waste resources on solving problems when people in our CrackBerry community will just come up with workarounds. If they had half a brain, they'd realize that the money they think they're saving employees will really become losses in the end once their loyalists all jump ship. I'm sure Chris U would agree with that financial analysis.
    06-18-14 08:44 AM
    Just fired off an email to Michael Clewley. He replied almost instantly, saying he will have the issue looked at.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed 10
    He replied to me a few weeks ago saying they were looking into it. I'm hoping they find a solution soon.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:51 AM
    Keep all your radios on and then report back. What you have just described is the work around. We shouldn't have to shut anything off.

It is no coincidence that what when BlackBerry . Com goes down, we lose the ability to connect to wifi unless we shut off our network data connections. Essentially you are Forcing the phone to wifi instead of having the phone switch seamless to network data to wifi when a saved hot spot is found.

Many users confirm BlackBerry. Com was down when they had connectivity issues. I posted a screen shot in my op and others did as well. No coincidence either than when BlackBerry. Com came back up, bingo, wifi connectivity came back with all radios on. There is a clear relationship.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    Ok right, my experiment can't be used because I don't know how to block the access of blackberry.com from the 4G radio.
    It does seem like a strange thing for the Blackberry architects to rely on.
    06-18-14 08:53 AM
    So, if BlackBerry truly is serious about fixing this issue, I guess we can expect a fairly light OS update, pretty soon, in which the problem is addressed.
    06-18-14 09:39 AM
    Ok right, my experiment can't be used because I don't know how to block the access of blackberry.com from the 4G radio.
    It does seem like a strange thing for the Blackberry architects to rely on.
    Um - Quick question. I saw another post from KBZ1960 on one of the recently deleted threads asking why our 3G/4G connections work with BB.com being down but not the wi-fi? I thought that it was an excellent question but sadly the thread was closed before anyone could comment.

Any ideas?

Kindest

Sean
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-18-14 09:41 AM
    So, if BlackBerry truly is serious about fixing this issue, I guess we can expect a fairly light OS update, pretty soon, in which the problem is addressed.
    Absolutely! In the mean time, I will start to hold my breath and wait for it to happen...
    06-18-14 09:47 AM
    Why would they close the oldest thread about the subject?...anyhow, the problem seems to have to do with the blackberry site being down.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 10:05 AM
    I can't in good conscience recommend BB to my friends due to this issue makes me sad because I had a few ready to make the switch

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 10:22 AM
    That is what I was wondering as well, Omega. Probably because this thread has a more obvious name. But there was/is much better information in that other thread than this one, oh well!
    Why would they close the oldest thread about the subject?...
    As for the reason why "only the WiFi seems dependant on BB.com": that is probably not true. BB10 just sees any interruption in your connection (with BB.com) as a sign your WiFi is down, so they force the device to fall back to Mobile data. For Mobile data, even if BB.com is unreachable there is no connection to fall back to, so you do not see an additional error message.
    The problem is it just assumes "BB.com down = WiFi down", while there could be a million other reasons that connection has a small hiccup. It does not seem to actually check the connection integrity, like it should.
    Um - Quick question. I saw another post from KBZ1960 on one of the recently deleted threads asking why our 3G/4G connections work with BB.com being down but not the wi-fi?
    At least on 10.3 it finally automatically restores the WiFi connection after a while.
    yvpan1 and kbz1960 like this.
    06-18-14 10:24 AM

At least on 10.3 it finally automatically restores the WiFi connection after a while.
    Well to be accurate, we should note that even with the latest version of just 10.2 [any maybe even earlier versions] Wi-Fi connection is automatically self-restored after a while as well. But I have seen it take upwards of an hour to a whole night before that happens.

E.g., last night before I went to sleep, I noticed I'd lost wi-fi. This has happened so often that I no longer pay any attention to it unless I absolutely need a fast a connection at that moment. When I woke up this morning, the wi-fi connection was back up.

I am on 10.2. whatever is the latest.
    Last edited by kennyiceberry; 06-18-14 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling. I'm a stickler. [And careless.]
    06-18-14 10:46 AM
    I still would like to know what ties bb10 devices wifi and blackberry website. Why when blackberry.net is down, wifi stops working
    06-18-14 11:38 AM
    Looks like you are receiving an internal error from the Wireless devices not the phone itself. My work uses Ruckus for it's WiFi and I use Cisco Meraki at home and I don't have any WiFi connection issues. It's only when I connect to these Mickey mouse system by Dlink, Linksys, TrendNet, etc., do I see any kind of connection issue.
    06-18-14 11:43 AM
    Heads up.

Michael Clewley [BlackBerry's chief of handheld products] just chimed-in on this issue on his BBM channel: "Changes have been made to OS 10.3.0 [that] will address the situation meanwhile measures have been put in place to help prior to the full solution. We continue to listen and improve our experience based on our dedicated BlackBerry users."

Seems a bit rushed judging by a few typos and grammatical errors. But at least someone is listening and hopefully a fix will be in before too long.
    Last edited by kennyiceberry; 06-18-14 at 12:10 PM.
    yvpan1 and Carterbits like this.
    06-18-14 11:55 AM
    I didn't think BB10 devices were supposed to be susceptible to BB outages, learn something new every day...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-18-14 12:06 PM
    Heads up.

Michael Clewley [BlackBerry's chief of handheld products] just chimed-in on this issue on his BBM channel: "Changes have been made to OS 10.3.0 [that] will address the situation meanwhile measures have been put in place to help prior to the full solution. We continue to listen and improve our experience based on our dedicated BlackBerry users."

Seems a bit rushed judging by a few typos and grammatical errors. But at least someone is listening and hopefully a fix will be in before too long.
    Who cares about 10.3 which none of our phones will receive? What about 10.3.1 and do we have to wait months for it?
    06-18-14 12:17 PM
    I didn't think BB10 devices were supposed to be susceptible to BB outages, learn something new every day...
    Not really an outage but could cost some people $$$$ for not knowing and using mobile data. At least it isn't like a BIS outage where nothing works.
    06-18-14 12:19 PM
    Not really an outage but could cost some people $$$$ for not knowing and using mobile data. At least it isn't like a BIS outage where nothing works.
    Yeah I've gone over my monthly limit. Albeit only by 3% with 3 days left in my billing cycle but still, I've never went over before.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 12:21 PM
463 ... 56789 ...