Anybody email Michael Clewley the link to this thread?

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 06:48 PM
    Has happened to me AGAIN! This has been going on for months now, and there's numerous threads about the issue. Have not had to turn off data before though. But tonight I have to turn data off to get wifi. Hmm

Posted with my Z10
    Yeah used to happen periodically but would always reconnect . Today nothing had to turn data off
    06-17-14 06:50 PM
    Same here. It says acquiring IP.

But a ping and checking of the router shows the IP was assigned and accepted by the device. It is a timeout elsewhere.

If it's pinging blackberry.com maybe I should just add a hosts entry to redirect to google.com for now. Very annoying issue as I'm trying to copy files over wifi + send SMS messages at the same time.

Posted via CB from my LE
    06-17-14 06:51 PM
    Same problem here. I have no SIM card though, so curiously I don't lose Wifi - though I have the "Limited Wifi Connection" message. I can't browse to blackberry.com either, though other sites work fine.

Posted via CB10
    Anybody email Michael Clewley the link to this thread?

Posted via CB10
    Anyone tweeted him as well?
    I'm back up on VZW...as of about 10 minutes ago
    Good for you! I'm on vacation in northern Michigan and nothing here with data on and wifi on with Verizon ...perhaps in a few hours!
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-17-14 06:52 PM
    I would if we weren't for this tornado-like weather here. Wicked, wicked storm...but no power or internet issues...unless of course you want to use Wifi on your BB.
    Hop in your car get over there and break down the walls!!! Lol jk!!!!

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-17-14 06:53 PM
    Having issues as well

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 06:56 PM
    WiFi has been hit and miss in Dallas.

When it's out, the BlackBerry.com website is not available. I'm impressed by whoever made that connection - they're smarter than me.

When it starts acting up, I normally turn off WiFi, but then I forget to turn it back on...there goes my data usage...

Posted via CB10
    drfever likes this.
    06-17-14 06:57 PM
    WiFi has been hit and miss in Dallas.

When it's out, the BlackBerry.com website is not available. I'm impressed by whoever made that connection - they're smarter than me.

When it starts acting up, I normally turn off WiFi, but then I forget to turn it back on...there goes my data usage...

Posted via CB10
    And here in lies the main concern. People may not see that limited connectivity message while at home, thinking they are on their home network and just chew through their data.

I agree with previous poster who questioned which employee made the blackberry.com test connection protocol.

If the Web is down even though we see wifi bars we know it's down because we can't connect with any of our home devices. But to limit ability to connect just because BlackBerry. Com is down is downright STUPID

SunnyFL and niss63 like this.
    06-17-14 07:02 PM
    Sorry I was replying to an earlier comment...

Proudly posted with a Z30 via CB10
    niss63 likes this.
    06-17-14 07:07 PM
    Just turn the "data services" off then the wifi will work. Then you won't use up your mobile data.

Proudly posted with a Z30 via CB10
    Just found out about that trick today, in this thread. Tried it and Wow! What a difference in speed. Before it was spinning circles, like a network conflict problem.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 07:10 PM
    I'm also experiencing this issue - just checked BlackBerry.com and it was down as the OP said. Seems pretty crazy that our phone's WiFi is somehow connected with BlackBerry's website...
    06-17-14 07:11 PM
    It's back up for me now

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 07:13 PM
    I'm also experiencing this issue - just checked BlackBerry.com and it was down as the OP said. Seems pretty crazy that our phone's WiFi is somehow connected with BlackBerry's website...
    Pardon my ignorance on protocols etc but could this lead to BlackBerry tracking our browsing if our wifi is dependent on BlackBerry. Com server status?

06-17-14 07:13 PM
    I wonder if the outage is simply a "website down" issue. I doubt it. This could range from:
    - server failure (and if multiple instances of blackberry.com were on the same physical hw....)
    - load balance/content switch failure
    - switch failure
    - router failure (internal net)
    - border router ( ie bgp)
    - carrier circuit issue

My hunch says BGP or carrier, given the complexity.

Perhaps they should look at global load balancing or Akamai...

So yeah, it shouldn't happen.

I'm waiting patiently for someone to get their head around this one.
    06-17-14 07:14 PM
    So as we've discussed it does appear as though when Blackberry.com is down so too do our phones wifi capabilities disappear.

This issue needs to be fixed.

Apparently when wifi is turned on, the device tests the connection in the background by going to blackberry.com. If it can't establish a connection it prevents wifi from coming on at the device, despite the fact the Internet is up without issue.

This is the dumbest thing/protocol I have ever read, seen or heard but, surely blackberry.com is down and so too is my phone's ability to use wifi. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

So, I'm sitting here with no wifi BUT my son is on his iPhone and the Ipad are just fine as is the laptop.

Forget messing around with your routers our rebooting modems folks. Such a silly protocol is causing all this.

BlackBerry figure this out and find a better way to handle wifi. This is horrible protocol.

Attachment 278600

Yes this exactly what's happening to me and my husband right now! (Q10 & Z10) and the wifi has just popped back on - weird.
    Central Illinois, USA, and no wireless for about last two hours. This problem has been going on for far too long and, as the OP and others have pointed out, the cause is not a secret. Been a long time BlackBerry user but their silence and lack of action to correct the problem will make it hard to justify sticking with them in the future.

Posted via CB10
    Ben1232 likes this.
    BlackBerry. Com is back up and so is my ability to connect my device via wifi.

Again this whole connection protocol is DUMB and STUPID... pick one or both.

yasmar likes this.
    06-17-14 07:16 PM
    from melbourne, still my Z30 hasn't been able to connect back to the wifi.

I've managed to email Clewley and 10 mins later he replied, "yes, we are on it." seems this is really driving him so hard to get this issue sorted.
    06-17-14 07:18 PM
    Ha! I finally found something PowerTools is useful for: I have it set to flash LED if no Wifi available. That's what alerted me to the problem pretty much right away. I had already learned about the data/off trick, so I didn't needlessly burn through my 2GB/mo.

Tapped out on my Q10
    drfever and Ben1232 like this.
    06-17-14 07:22 PM
    from melbourne, still my Z30 hasn't been able to connect back to the wifi.

I've managed to email Clewley and 10 mins later he replied, "yes, we are on it." seems this is really driving him so hard to get this issue sorted.
    BlackBerry knows about this. They have to. Why they just can't leave well enough alone is beyond me. If the Web is down we simply will know because nothing will connect but the whole concept of restricting wifi because BlackBerry. Com is down is silly protocol.

Again I wonder... (and pardon my ignorance on protocols etc) but could there be some tracking going on if our ability to connect via wifi is dependant on whether or not BlackBerry. Com is up and running?

yvpan1 likes this.
    06-17-14 07:23 PM
    Recovered wifi,turned back on network data, this was still unacceptable and no word from BlackBerry.

AT&T Z10
    06-17-14 07:23 PM
    Normal service resumed here. There has to be a better way though.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 07:24 PM
    Back on here in Southern Ontario
    06-17-14 07:25 PM
463 ... 23456 ...