I'm opening this thread after ATT pulled that stunt which got everyone angry. Pls let's encourage people to download leaks. As there is nothing wrong with them, at least with this, we can save blackberry from the hands of these carriers. post here and help people decide on installing leaks.
    06-21-13 09:40 PM
    Some leaks are never released for a reason though. They may have bugs or missing features, so be careful what you install.
    06-21-13 09:48 PM
    I do not think us installing leaks will affect BlackBerry s fate at the hands of the carriers. If any.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    06-22-13 12:20 AM
    I do not think us installing leaks will affect BlackBerry s fate at the hands of the carriers. If any.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    I agree with you completely. The things that gets me is that BlackBerry does the same testing that the carrier does so why does the carrier have to do extra testing?

I mean the carriers Se to trust only apple when it comes to OS upgrades, why not just put in the hands of the manufacturer . I guess that's the million dollar question.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 12:45 AM
    I want to try something new and look for improvement.
    06-22-13 01:21 AM
    I've been on leaks since .1483 came out, and unless Rogers steps up their game, I'm never going back to stock.
    06-22-13 01:24 AM
    All you need to do is watch out for the leak people like the most. Plus if u load a bad leak. U simply go and load another. Cause there are a lot out there. No os Is permanent. Stop being scared people.
    Hamilton Guy likes this.
    06-22-13 01:49 AM
    I agree with you completely. The things that gets me is that BlackBerry does the same testing that the carrier does so why does the carrier have to do extra testing?

I mean the carriers Se to trust only apple when it comes to OS upgrades, why not just put in the hands of the manufacturer . I guess that's the million dollar question.

Posted via CB10
    I think if apple was a newcomer they'd be in the same situation. The whole apple controlling the OS updates thing was part of their negotiations with AT&T I think. They got their way on that. And then when it sold huge numbers Verizon agreed to the same terms to get it. Right? I mean Verizon had to get the iphone. Apple still had all the power at that point. And android was not clearly dominant as it is becoming now.

I think apple got away with something that'll never happen again.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    06-22-13 02:17 AM
    A lot of people may be skiddish about installing leaks because of prior experiences with Android, which has tons of leaks with broken features.

I'm also unclear whether carriers can void your warranty/insurance for installing a leak.

Finally, if a leak does brick a feature that a user finds essential, that can cause problems in the workplace. Can you change back or to a different leak? Sure, but if something got messed up as a result...sometimes damage can't be repaired.

So you're right that others could be more open, but others are right to proceed with caution.

Posted via CB10
    VeniceBB and kayyourcool like this.
    06-22-13 06:59 AM
    The reason I've only installed one leak (10.1.0.1762) is because the lack of restore options with the half-assed BlackBerry Link. It's either all or nothing, and there's something about a full restore that makes me uneasy. If I had the ability to restore contacts + messages only I would be using every leaked OS.
    06-22-13 09:58 AM
    IMHO, leaks aren't for everyone. You have to be willing and prepared to run into some issues. They are after all leaks and as mentioned before, they might be buggy, might be incompatible with certain apps and might cause other issues. This could be disastrous for people who rely on their phone for medical reasons or business.

Apart from that it could also end up damaging BlackBerry's reputation. I've seen plenty of complaints about bugs and issues from more experienced users in the sevaral threads about leaks, but at least these people -mostly- understood what they were getting into.
    If everyone jumps onto the leaks (including those who might not have taken the time to dig a little deeper for information) just to prove a point and they end up with a lesser user experience, who will they blame? BlackBerry. At least when using the carrier updates there's a shared responsibility. The carrier released an update that wasn't tested properly on their network and so it isn't all BlackBerry's fault alone.

All of that being said, I personally have used just about every leak that was available to my BB9780 when I was using it. Most of those were fine but there have been a few that were a massive failure. I'm aware of these possible consequences and I've been willing to take the risk. Now that I'm on my Q10 I haven't switched to a leak yet, but I imagine I will do that soon. There is nothing wrong with using leaks as long as you are informed and willing to take the chance. That's really important in my opinion and that's why I don't feel I should recommend it to everyone. Some people just are better off with carrier approved and tested software versions.
    06-22-13 10:27 AM
    But remember that many of the loaders linked to throughout these forums were actual approved releases on one carrier or another, just not on yours. Most likely it fixes much more than it breaks. It's easy enough to read the forums a few days after a new loader and see what it fixes and what it breaks. Also, with a little care, it is unlikely that you will find yourself on a situation that you can't get back out of (but not impossible). Still, I completely understand how one might be hesitant, and that to choose NOT to load a leak is still the right choice for some.
    06-22-13 11:59 AM
    Why not?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 12:08 PM
    Also, I would not be one to start a thread like this one. There is too high of a risk that someone will run into a serious problem (whether from their own negligence or simply a software glitch) that they would not have suffered had they not taken your advice. Truth is, no matter how simple and straight forward the process has been for most of us, there is always a risk involved in an update. I have seen people have big problems even after an official carrier pushed update. Isht happens. To install a leak or not needs to be a personal choice that is respected
    angieberry10 likes this.
    06-22-13 12:10 PM
    I'm also unclear whether carriers can void your warranty/insurance for installing a leak.
    The answer is yes, my cousin who's a BB tech rep, and I where just talking about this the other day, If you call BB and are not running official software they won't help you..
    06-22-13 03:03 PM
    I installed 10.0.1.2342 and have terrible battery life and massive dropped calls in my home. Radio 1881 is supposed to be better. My wife has a Q10 with 10.1 installed already and has the same problem. I hope BlackBerry is watching and gets carriers set with 10.2 soon. Or if we get a premier leak.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 03:13 PM