BB10s are using up lots of data DOING NOTHING!
    a Q10 and Z10, both on the latest OS update.

Neither one of us runs apps, or youtube, or media, or anything.
    Just emails (plain text, no images), and bbm's. Basic black/white, low data communication.

We started realizing something was way off. We got the DATA COUNTER APP and set quotas.
    We can see the phones sitting there, doing NOTHING... literally no apps, no browsers running, and just guzzling data.

My phone used up 7mb just sitting on my lap during a basketball game while I did nothing with it. I didn't even send an email.

QUESTIONS:
    1. how can I find the data leak?
    2. we have changed the "sync interval" to 24h, while keeping push on, thinking maybe this was it, still have to observe that

DOES ANYONE KNOW how a phone can just DRAIN data while doing NOTHING?? WHERE does the data go????

HELP PLEASE!
    12-06-15 12:27 PM
    i would wipe the phone, it's not the os
    if you don't have a app that's using your data you have something accessing your phone
    12-06-15 01:46 PM
    Surely if you're able to see that your data is being used, you're also able to see what is using it. Can't remember exactly in the settings it is as I've moved on to the Priv, but there's a dedicated section to see what app is using data.

My gut feeling is just that one of your apps synced up.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Blackberry Priv
    12-06-15 01:52 PM
    BBM uses data whenever it has an internet connection. I tested it today and it used 127.9 Kb in four hours.

I suggest you turn off run when minimized on every application where it's not absolutely necessary to run in the background.
    12-06-15 01:54 PM
    Is this feature on by chance?

WHY is it using Data while doing NOTHING?-img_20151206_140830.png

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 02:10 PM
    Open device monitor and figure it out
    What are you getting mad about on this forum for?
    David Tyler and Mikey_NNG like this.
    12-06-15 02:57 PM
    Post a screenshot of the Mobile Data Usage tab in Device Monitor. It shows the apps and data used.

Email and BBM have to update BlackBerry whenever your IP changes and to check for messages and show you on line. There's also Protect.

So expecting 0 MB is not realistic, and 7MB is not a lot by today's standards.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 03:07 PM
    Open device monitor and figure it out
    What are you getting mad about on this forum for?
    I am not getting mad, I am frustrated.
    12-06-15 04:23 PM
    Post a screenshot of the Mobile Data Usage tab in Device Monitor. It shows the apps and data used.

Email and BBM have to update BlackBerry whenever your IP changes and to check for messages and show you on line. There's also Protect.

So expecting 0 MB is not realistic, and 7MB is not a lot by today's standards.

Posted via CB10
    I don't expect 0mb, but 7mb's for a 2 hours of doing nothing is a lot. That translates to 2.5gb a month for doing nothing. That's more than my plan includes... for doing nothing.

Also the fact data usage has been getting worse over the last few months, when our use and pattern hasn't changed.
    12-06-15 04:25 PM
    Is this feature on by chance?
    Posted via CB10
    Just checked, That is off on mine.
    12-06-15 04:31 PM
    This is the screenshot of DEVICE MONITOR - mobile data usage

I understand and I am ok with Facbook updating.

OneDrive I have it set to only update over Wifi, does anyone know why it is still using up over mobile if the setting is set to Wifi only?

Skype I manually turn on to run, only on wifi, and turn off when I am done.. and use it like never... why is it showing? When I try to delete it, it asks me if I want to delete the whole app.... I cant just make it inactive... that's annoying

I would say Skype and OneDrive are my 2 question marks on how to deactivate them.

WHY is it using Data while doing NOTHING?-img_20151206_172932.pngWHY is it using Data while doing NOTHING?-img_20151206_172945.png
    12-06-15 04:40 PM
    This is the screenshot of DEVICE MONITOR - mobile data usage

I understand and I am ok with Facbook updating.

OneDrive I have it set to only update over Wifi, does anyone know why it is still using up over mobile if the setting is set to Wifi only?

Skype I manually turn on to run, only on wifi, and turn off when I am done.. and use it like never... why is it showing? When I try to delete it, it asks me if I want to delete the whole app.... I cant just make it inactive... that's annoying

I would say Skype and OneDrive are my 2 question marks on how to deactivate them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151206_172932.png 
Views:	520 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	383338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151206_172945.png 
Views:	522 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	383339
    Others have long reported OneDrive using Cellular even with it saying only use Wifi. It's likely a bug that hasn't gotten any attention. I don't think there is a work around.

But at least you can see its not 3.5MB/hour for 30 days, but likely periodic updating/syncing.
    12-06-15 04:49 PM
    I would imagine your email is syncing.

Rogers Blackberry Passport. BlackBerry Since 2006
    12-06-15 04:51 PM
    Skype is singlehandedly the worst bb10 app ever made imo.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Blackberry Priv
    12-06-15 04:53 PM
    Others have long reported OneDrive using Cellular even with it saying only use Wifi. It's likely a bug that hasn't gotten any attention. I don't think there is a work around.

But at least you can see its not 3.5MB/hour for 30 days, but likely periodic updating/syncing.
    Yeah, I actually started googling the OneDrive issue after my last reply amd found that out. I have to either delete the app, or live with it since its not horrible consumption.

Someone suggested nesting a 'dropbox' folder within my desktop OneDrive folder.... thoughts on that?

Does DropBox have any data issues?
    12-06-15 05:01 PM
    Yeah, I actually started googling the OneDrive issue after my last reply amd found that out. I have to either delete the app, or live with it since its not horrible consumption.

Someone suggested nesting a 'dropbox' folder within my desktop OneDrive folder.... thoughts on that?

I'm not aware of Dropbox or Box having the cellular data bug, but to be honest, I have 5GB data and haven't had to pay attention to be definitive source. I don't know anything about the nesting, not sure how that would work.
    12-06-15 06:03 PM
    Make sure the option "run when minimized" is off for any app you don't want running in the background.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 06:48 PM
    Being on pay as you go here in the UK when I switched from a curve to z10 I found, like yourself, it was drinking data. I would top up by a fiver and that would be used in data use within about an hour.

This was all before the days of me using Crack Berry so I rang my service provider who told me that the reason was due to several Internet settings. Once the account had been updated that I was using a 'true smartphone', EE sent me a pin message to update the settings and it's been fine ever since. May be worth a call just to make sure everything's set as it should be.

Also, vice versa to this situation I have also been in the position where I have used my phone for some hours through mobile data and it's simply not used any of my allotted data. And no, I've not been hooked into wifi.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 07:02 PM

I use Box and One drive and I have no data issues at all. I do not have them to sync anything though. I use these as a per need basis. When i want to upload something I open the app and do it and then close it. It is going to be an app for sure doing it and it is your settings for that app and not the os. by the looks of it, facebook and one drive. I have these apps along with twitter, instagram and three emails all sent to push. My typical usage every month never goes over 400mb unless I am travelling.
    12-08-15 10:38 AM
    Yeah a few months back, I started a tread regarding the onedrive issue. I even wrote to BlackBerry with no reply.

Basically if you have picture and video sync set to "on", even if the sync is on wifi only, for some reason onedrive will consume a tremendous amount of mobile data... the more picture or video you take, the more data it "downloads"

And worse of all... nothing is actually synced!

Posted via CB10
    12-08-15 10:45 AM
    Is your phone possibly set to connect to your computer over wireless connection to transfer files etc? If so, your device is always going to be trying to connect to your PC, even when you're not doing anything with it. If this is the case, I would suggest changing it to connect only over Wifi.

Rock'n the awesome Z30 STA100-5 on 10.3.2.2474
    12-08-15 12:44 PM