I know about a larger global professional services firm, which are running Blackberry since many many years. They evaluated BB10 in Q1 and Q2 and considered to upgrade, but then decided to save the budget and spend it for other things. They did not found real business justifications for making the investment into BB10.

They said, what can a BB10 device do more or better than the one we already have (they use Bold 9900), if I do not need all this fancy Apps and personal stuff, because I just need a brilliant device for work?
    Does it has better battery lifetime? No, just average or even worse.
    Does email goes faster or more reliable. No.
    Does it has a better calendar? No.
    Does it has a better contact management? No, in fact it is more cumbersome with the handling of the personal and workspace perimeter.
    Does access to the firms backend data systems works better? Not so much. You still need to fiddle around with individual logon prompts and no apps are there and the screen is small. Also no tablet for real work other than email.
    Is the security better in BB10? Well, not really.
    For smooth and phased migration, does BES 10.x improve something for the OS7 devices until we have completed the worldwide upgrade (because we have local contracts with subsidised devices and different ending times)? No, no improvements. BES10 can not serve OS7 devices.
    and so on.

And some things are confusing to use. I.e. BBM is in the personal perimeter and has no access to the contacts list in Outlook, the business mailbox is hybrid, and screenshots going into the work perimeter, even when taken in the personal perimeter, and more such things. This is confusing for the average Joe, in fact it can be even for IT professionals...

Thanks for any good - even tiny but serious - ideas how to sell BB10 to conservative high-profile knowledge workers.

(Just because its a new platform this not a business justification, and even if the legacy one goes end of life this not fully satisfying. Because nowadays there are more alternatives to BB out there in the market, and there is a real chance, that many companies dropping BB when they phase OS7 out...)
    sergey_IL likes this.
    07-16-13 03:17 AM
    Be ready...BB Addicts world war 4... thats why and more reasons im going to sell my z10
    07-16-13 05:08 AM
    I know about a larger global professional services firm, which are running Blackberry since many many years. They evaluated BB10 in Q1 and Q2 and considered to upgrade, but then decided to save the budget and spend it for other things. They did not found real business justifications for making the investment into BB10.

They said, what can a BB10 device do more or better than the one we already have (they use Bold 9900), if I do not need all this fancy Apps and personal stuff, because I just need a brilliant device for work?
    Does it has better battery lifetime? No, just average or even worse.
    Does email goes faster or more reliable. No.
    Does it has a better calendar? No.
    Does it has a better contact management? No, in fact it is more cumbersome with the handling of the personal and workspace perimeter.
    Does access to the firms backend data systems works better? Not so much. You still need to fiddle around with individual logon prompts and no apps are there and the screen is small. Also no tablet for real work other than email.
    Is the security better in BB10? Well, not really.
    For smooth and phased migration, does BES 10.x improve something for the OS7 devices until we have completed the worldwide upgrade (because we have local contracts with subsidised devices and different ending times)? No, no improvements. BES10 can not serve OS7 devices.
    and so on.

And some things are confusing to use. I.e. BBM is in the personal perimeter and has no access to the contacts list in Outlook, the business mailbox is hybrid, and screenshots going into the work perimeter, even when taken in the personal perimeter, and more such things. This is confusing for the average Joe, in fact it can be even for IT professionals...

Thanks for any good - even tiny but serious - ideas how to sell BB10 to conservative high-profile knowledge workers.

(Just because its a new platform this not a business justification, and even if the legacy one goes end of life this not fully satisfying. Because nowadays there are more alternatives to BB out there in the market, and there is a real chance, that many companies dropping BB when they phase OS7 out...)

I think you make a very good point. If your firm has BES I don't see much reason to upgrade. In fact, the situation with apps seems worse if you upgrade. In my case I decided to get a Q10 rather than a 9900 simply because I could use ActiveSync rather than a third party mail app to link to an Exchange Server. We don't have BES.
    07-16-13 05:21 AM
    These are very good points, and probably number in the reasons BlackBerry is continuing to build and market BBOS devices. I'm sure they expect that it will be a number of years before all their corporate customers upgrade. As long as the legacy products continue to be profitable I'm sure we will continue to see support for them. As I've said before, my company is still using legacy devices and BES products and will continue to do so for at least 12, probably 24 months. We may be upgrading in synchronization with life cycle management of the servers, which makes perfect business sense.
    07-16-13 06:38 AM
    In fact if you look at this from a scenario where we never had BBOS, right now BB7 looks like an amazing upgrade for BB10. I understand it's a new OS and I'm truly hoping BlackBerry makes it better within a valid time window, so those conservative business corporations don't leave. I see BB10 potential from the very beginning, but as many points it needs improvement on very significant areas.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 06:55 AM
    BES10 has its own version of BBM doesn't it? Enterprise messenger or something.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.2354
    07-16-13 08:10 AM
    Not really. It's the same BBM for all. Only you could use a personal encryption key to lock it down to the own enterprise. But then it works not anymore with the world out there.

But its a good point. Another business justification for upgrade would be, if they would bring a Windows desktop application, with which the whole enterprise could do instant msg with their mobile fleet - I do not understand why they r not have this already...!

And to change BBM that it can work in parallel mode with enterprise encryption key AND with the world.
    That would be another outstanding feature... Neither Apple nor Whatsapp can do that. Only Facebook and Google+. But that's not really a good choice for business, too much unwanted things around it...
    07-17-13 05:27 AM
    Not really. It's the same BBM for all. Only you could use a personal encryption key to lock it down to the own enterprise. But then it works not anymore with the world out there.

But its a good point. Another business justification for upgrade would be, if they would bring a Windows desktop application, with which the whole enterprise could do instant msg with their mobile fleet - I do not understand why they r not have this already...!

And to change BBM that it can work in parallel mode with enterprise encryption key AND with the world.
    That would be another outstanding feature... Neither Apple nor Whatsapp can do that. Only Facebook and Google+. But that's not really a good choice for business, too much unwanted things around it...
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/27566165

Is this what we're talking about?

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.2354
    07-17-13 06:05 AM
    Comes close to this, yes. But:

They should advertise their strengths much more

And

You need Lync for it or Office comms server. What if ur company does not have that? They should build a 'light' component for the Bes server that could step in and do that.
    07-17-13 06:13 AM
    I agree, needs some more carrots to attract the upgrade. Maybe free for a year for all bes customers upgrading. That should ensure keeping existing customers and getting bb10 into corporate space.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.2354
    07-17-13 12:06 PM