I currently have a Blackberry Torch 9810 on AT&T in the US. I had the Torch 9800 and a few other BB devices before this one.

The 9810 is a mediocre phone, the only thing I really like about it is the keyboard. For me the phone constantly slows down to a crawl (it will be fine for a day or two, then needs a battery pull), the browser is mediocre, the battery life is poor, and the available applications are far behind what's available on Apple and Google OS (nothing new here, we have all known this for a long time).

I am not a die hard BB fan, but I dislike Apples closed platform and how they restrict users abilities to do with their phones what they want. Android is better in this regard, but I don't trust Google too much, especially given the latest PRISM revelations (not sure if BB is any better in that regard).

What I want from a phone is a physical keyboard, a large screen, decent battery life, and an acceptable collection of applications to chose from. BB has decided that you can either have a large screen (Z10) or a keyboard (Q10), but not both. I am not sure why they are not even considering a slider phone right now, but that's a feature of the Torch I actually appreciate. I wouldn't recommend the Torch to anyone ever, it's been an extremely poor and frustrating phone over all, and I put up with that thing for way too long because I was fixated on having the physical keyboard.

I am looking to replace my Torch within the next few months (probably in August) and am leaning towards a Galaxy S4 right now. I like the size (my eye sight is not getting better with age, so I like the big screen and will arrange with the downside of the large size when it comes to carrying the thing). BB doesn't offer a physical keyboard and a large screen, so getting an S4 seems to get me more apps and no keyboard, vs less apps on no keyboard on the Z10. The Q10 is not an option for me, I don't want a compromise when it comes to keyboard/screen size.

Is there a good reason to stay with BB? The lack of applications that I want to be able to use is a concern for me, and I know that for many of these I can use the browser on the Z10, but why would I do that if Android offers a better solution. I don't want to have to deal with side loading Android apps, I'd rather get the real thing if I have to use Android apps.

I travel internationally frequently, so my typical uses are email, some Web browsing and if I could use my phone to pass the time with a game or two on a long flight that would be nice as well. The Torch is terrible for playing games, battery life is too poor and the screen is too small for that.

I appreciate any helpful input you guys can provide.
    06-20-13 11:39 AM
    Well as far as email goes BB is far better than adroid at that. For games to *** time BB has a decent selection now but not as much as android. The best bet for you go and play around with the Z10, Q10 and GS4 and see which one you like better.
    06-20-13 11:49 AM
    I live in the same area as you Austin. Same provider. Difference is with two old 9800s, charge overnight, no problems what ever. No battery pulls in maybe 8 months. While we do not travel internationally, we do travel and can do everything we require. I admit we are not big into "game stuff" but email, calendars sync, navigation, music and just about anything else it still fills the bill. OBTW, works well with our two Playbooks too, especially on the road.

Sorry you are unhappy, I'm still happy.
    06-20-13 01:12 PM