Why are people so head over hills for apps?-34761639.jpg

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    07-19-15 03:33 PM
    Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 03:37 PM
    Truth be told I don't care what anybody finds out about me that comes from my blackberry or other branded cell phone ...And furthermore the only person I don't want messing with my business is Snowden ...
    07-19-15 03:40 PM
    Question....

Why is there a NEED for apps? Do you really can't live without it? Is your life depending on it?

Many people are talking about... we NEED this and that app.

Think about it... there is more in life than apps and phones...

Posted via my awesome Classic
    It is 2015 and the world we live in people WANT these apps and phones to be connected to the rest of the world that uses them too. I prefer a world where kids go outside and play with their friends instead of staying inside watching TV or playing on their electronic devices/gaming systems, but this is not the world we live in.

Posted with my  Classic
    21stNow likes this.
    07-19-15 03:43 PM
    Question....

Why is there a NEED for apps? Do you really can't live without it? Is your life depending on it?

One doesn't really "need" apps. Or vehicles. Or smartphones.

But if I do use that last item, apps surely add to its functionality, no? Browser, email, etc. Yep, I think most folks would rather have apps than not.

I've been wrong before though...
    21stNow likes this.
    07-19-15 03:47 PM
    Not sure what this last post has to do with the topic? Go see a therapist. They always care about how you feel

Posted via CB10
    Just offering a social perspective. The literal one isn't the only one. And therapists don't care, they say what you pay them to. Don't be so naive.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582 O2 UK
    07-19-15 04:31 PM
    I guess it should have been titled " what do you think is wrong with society and how does it make you feel?"

Posted via CB10
    Keep guessing if that's how you approach life. Feel free to go forth and multiply.

07-19-15 04:42 PM
    Instead of going to a bar and getting wasted, you could be reading more books! :-)
    Haha, time and place for everything lol. :-D

07-19-15 04:45 PM
    Question....

There's no need for an app or a smartphone. However, if I choose to buy a smartphone over a basic phone, I want the apps that do exist that can add to my convenience level in my daily life to be available for that smartphone.

There's one key health area that I track on my smartphone that I could never get right with pencil and paper. While it is not a need, it has surely helped me plan around my health issue and take preventative measures so that the pain isn't as great. I call this enhancement to my quality of life priceless.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-19-15 05:02 PM
    I think most people understand that the word "need" in these discussions is being used hyperbolically. We don't need apps, or smartphones at all, when it comes to that.

I think it's understood that what we "need" I the context of this technology is simply what we're prepared to insist on. No one is misled.
    You're absolutely right. What we want (or get suckered into) is becoming increasingly divergent from what we need. I disagree with you on people being misled though. in my opinion the teens and tweenies are constantly misled. Perhaps that is why BlackBerry is in such a state; the majority of the smartphone buying public have been duped into thinking that Instagram, Kik, Spotify, Netflix, Snapchat et al are important. I remember the hoo ha that BlackBerry had to endure in the media over the lack of these so called crucial apps. Never mind the fact that in February 2013 your BlackBerry could last all day and your iPhone was dead by 3pm (true, the Z10 usually required a batt swap). Never mind that BlackBerry was getting a signal when the iPhone wasn't. The iPhone has apps. That's all that matters.

Well, if the rumours are true, the great app farago is about to be put well and truly behind us. BlackBerry security, UI, productivity and keyboard with full Android support. It should keep everyone happy (hopefully).

My use is business and the passport ticks all my boxes. For the weekend, I use a Z30 which also is not lacking. I will, however be getting that slider. I loved my 9800.

07-19-15 05:17 PM
    It is 2015 and the world we live in people WANT these apps and phones to be connected to the rest of the world that uses them too.

Posted with my  Classic
    The times that I take my godson, 5, and his sister, 3, to the park I often see parents/guardians eyes glued to their screens. And for long periods of time. I can't help but wonder what's so important they aren't paying attention.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 05:29 PM
    OP, you need to go back to 100 years ago and live the life you seem to be liking. The world has changed and will continue to change. That's called evolution. Man has always looked for ways to create tools to reduce physical work. As the computers advance, we will create robots that will do the physical work for us (we already see that everywhere - take car production factories as an example). Another example, we use drones to do the fighting for us.

We used to go to libraries and read newspapers to get information and gain knowledge (I am sure some people still do). But now, we just google it. And, let me tell you, we can get more information and gain more knowledge in one hour today than we did all day just a few years ago.

And yes, kids spend more time than ever on computers and phones. Instead of writing letters and talking face to face, they send each other messages and chat using various apps. And, instead of going out to play, they play on their phones and X-boxes. Are we going to be better off or worse this way, I will let people decide for themselves. But, I have news for you, you'd better get used to it, because it is only going to get worse!
    07-19-15 07:23 PM
    I guess if Blackberry had their way, the carriers would still be dictating what we do with our smartphones. Perhaps this thread is starting to worry Apple Their latest commercial is just about apps.

07-19-15 07:41 PM
    Ive got a P9983 so no one can comment on my phone unless its a Vertu.lmao.

Posted via my P9983
    JAS0NB0URNE likes this.
    07-20-15 04:36 AM
    The times that I take my godson, 5, and his sister, 3, to the park I often see parents/guardians eyes glued to their screens. And for long periods of time. I can't help but wonder what's so important they aren't paying attention.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, or a family out to dinner. Not unusual to see them all glued to their screens in silence.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    07-20-15 06:25 AM
    I purchased the passport to do my bidding... I don't want the carrier to decide what it will do... nor do I need BlackBerry to decide that... I wanted some capabilities requiring the android runtime... if it did not have that, for my purposes it would have not been purchased...
    07-20-15 07:06 AM
    Isn't the BlackBerry the original device that had people glued to their screens? That's where the term "CrackBerry" comes from, isn't it?
    07-20-15 08:08 AM
    At the end of the day, I just wanted to bring awareness that a lot of people are more concerned about apps then what's going around us. I brought up the fact that numerous life changing events are happening, yet everyone ignored it to criticize my thoughts. Regardless of my delivery, many missed the point. I understand this is not the place to "cry" my concerned so I apologize for those I offended. I made an *** out of myself assuming most BlackBerry users weren't feeble-minded. It is what it is. Have a productive week everyone.
    07-20-15 08:46 AM
    Here's a crazy thought, why don't we do less whining about the app gap and be a little more positive about how BB10 OS out performs with its multi-tasking capabilities and how's it's battery life is much greater than that of an iPhone, and most of all, compared to other Operating systems, BB10 feels closer to a Personal Computer.

The app debate has been beaten to death God knows how many times. I've got the following apps for instant messaging and social media:

Instagram (iGrann) - Native
    Facebook - Native
    SnapChat (Casper) - 3rd party Android
    Kik - Android
    Skype - Android
    Whatsapp - Native

For me, I feel I'm getting enough out of my blackberry and social networking. Would I like to have a native Netflix app? No, like I'd want to watch a full length movie on my small device. I don't have a banking app so I create a desktop shortcut to their homepage and using a native app called 'Easy Home' I can customise the links icon to make it look smarter.

Bottom line, let's focus on what we've got instead of what we haven't, glass half full stuffs .

Q10 - 10.3.2.2339/SR .2226  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    Mausje75 likes this.
    07-20-15 09:25 AM
    At the end of the day, I just wanted to bring awareness that a lot of people are more concerned about apps then what's going around us. I brought up the fact that numerous life changing events are happening, yet everyone ignored it to criticize my thoughts. Regardless of my delivery, many missed the point. I understand this is not the place to "cry" my concerned so I apologize for those I offended. I made an *** out of myself assuming most BlackBerry users weren't feeble-minded. It is what it is. Have a productive week everyone.
    I don't think this post will help your cause!
    07-20-15 09:43 AM
    Here's a crazy thought, why don't we do less whining about the app gap and be a little more positive about how BB10 OS out performs with its multi-tasking capabilities and how's it's battery life is much greater than that of an iPhone, and most of all, compared to other Operating systems, BB10 feels closer to a Personal Computer.
    Nobody is debating here about BB10 being the best OS, but even PC uses a lot of apps. And the battle hasn't been OS vs OS for about 4-5 years now, it's ecosystem vs ecosystem. If BB10 is a 10 in terms of OS, but a 3 in terms of ecosystem, most people would rather get Android/iOS (an 8 in terms of OS) but with a 10 in terms in ecosystem.
    07-20-15 10:23 AM
    At the end of the day, I just wanted to bring awareness that a lot of people are more concerned about apps then what's going around us.
    Try not to get hung up on the idea that these are apps. The apps are just a vehicle for whatever content they are accessing. They may be communicating with a loved-one overseas, doing work, following a soccer match or who knows what. I'm one of the people you would likely see looking at my smartphone because, frankly, there are a usually a lot more interesting things going on there than around me - my family, friends, and coworkers included. Sorry, but just because you're in front of me does not mean you deserve my undivided attention. If you listen to people for a living like I do then you know what I'm talking about.
    07-20-15 11:45 AM
    Nobody thinks it's a bad thing to see someone sitting in the park reading a book. If you see me looking at my Passport (or my OnePlus One for that matter), there's a good chance that's what I'm doing.
    07-20-15 11:54 AM
    Nobody thinks it's a bad thing to see someone sitting in the park reading a book.
    Actually, Socrates was concerned that some people seemed to go head over heels over the written word back in the day.

For Socrates (c. 469 BC–399 BC), the worrisome Information Age against which he rebelled was prompted by the invention of writing and the Greek alphabetic system of transcription that reached its apotheosis around 400 BC, over the course of Socrates’ lifetime. He was sure writing things down diminished the mind, distracted us with an excess of information, weakened the power of memory and recall as necessitated by the oral tradition, and over-simplified the complexity, flow, and development of ideas that happens in dialogue, his preferred form of communication.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    07-20-15 12:11 PM
    Head over heels? Me? Nah!

Glad to have awesome Music, Banking and Productivity Apps? Hell yes.

Why drive to the bank to make a deposit when you have a banking App, and especially when the drive would be 8 ours because you are out of town and there are no branches near you? A simple app won't do, I need one that does deposits by snapping a pic of the check.

Viber for use when traveling abroad for phone calls, Spotify for music (prefer Amazon Music or Google Play since I ripped my entire CD collection to them), and Twitter, Linkedin (don't do Facebook - too collegiate for me), and a few others. Nothing (IMO) compares to BIS's BlackBerry Travel and Nobex Contacts. I've tried everything, and it's one of the reasons I stick with BIS, among others.

So I'm not App Crazy, but I need (or want) what I need (or want). 10 key apps or so. Some of them are NOT available on BlackBerry BIS, so I have a new Android 4.4.2 on my 2nd line. This way I can get any App I want, and still use my trusted BBerry for Business communication and productivity and organization.
    07-20-15 04:20 PM
182 ... 45678