The OP has a point, but he could of said it better.

Unfortunately the "all about me" generation will kill another great OS. I have already made space for my Q10 in the drawer next to Symbian, Web OS, Maemo.

Unless, BlackBerry stays profitable with Android and continues developing BB10 as premium business tool. I would gladly pay $1000 for a Passport spec device in a Classic size.

In regards to the apps, what most people don't realize is that Google and Apple makes it easy for developers to "force" the users to use their apps as well as unwanted services that those app bring (tracking, behavior and etc). Why do you think so many companies are pushing consumers to download their apps - cause they can spy on you. With BB10, you can deny permissions and that isn't attractive for such developers.
    I got a new insurance policy the other day with Progressive, I had to beg 3 times to get my policy emailed instead of downloading their stupid app.

Posted via CB10
    iBwizzle likes this.
    07-19-15 01:20 AM

Why do you think so many companies are pushing consumers to download their apps - cause they can spy on you. With BB10, you can deny permissions and that isn't attractive for such developers.

Posted via CB10
    Edward Snowden sacrificed his livelihood to inform people we are being spied on. I tend to question things that are extremely popular and or free.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 02:17 AM
    More apps? Maybe.. but at what cost?

Posted via my awesome Classic
    07-19-15 03:51 AM
    This thread...I've lost all faith in humanity.
    07-19-15 05:28 AM
    Totally Kool-aid dude.
    Yeah, I guess it is.
    07-19-15 05:58 AM
    I'm willing to bet, people often use the same HANDFUL of apps daily. Thus it is weird that the requests for more apps isn't going away...
    07-19-15 06:35 AM
    I'm willing to bet, people often use the same HANDFUL of apps daily. Thus it is weird that the requests for more apps isn't going away...
    I say because the specific handful differs so widely from person to person.
    07-19-15 07:09 AM
    The OP has a point, but he could of said it better.

Unfortunately the "all about me" generation will kill another great OS. I have already made space for my Q10 in the drawer next to Symbian, Web OS, Maemo.

Unless, BlackBerry stays profitable with Android and continues developing BB10 as premium business tool. I would gladly pay $1000 for a Passport spec device in a Classic size.

In regards to the apps, what most people don't realize is that Google and Apple makes it easy for developers to "force" the users to use their apps as well as unwanted services that those app bring (tracking, behavior and etc). Why do you think so many companies are pushing consumers to download their apps - cause they can spy on you. With BB10, you can deny permissions and that isn't attractive for such developers.
    I got a new insurance policy the other day with Progressive, I had to beg 3 times to get my policy emailed instead of downloading their stupid app.

Posted via CB10
    That's why when people complain that there is no app for what they want I don't really care at all cause that was one of my pet peeves that all those apps were gathering data on me. I rather go to the web page then have the app and they can't track me. Heck most password apps can open the webpage and have the user name and password ready to log in so it's not so inconvenient.
    Love BB10 on my BlackBerry Passport!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 07:26 AM
    "Head over Heels"

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 08:07 AM
    .... I can't recall ever having more than 60 apps on my device at one time....
    The odds are you cannot find another person on this planet who has the same number of apps and they all exactly the same as yours!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-19-15 08:12 AM
    I use some apps daily... IP camera viewers, security controllers, banking, etc. I almost NEVER find any installed or BBW apps of daily use except the excellent clipman app... the hub is ok... blend is ok... there are android equivalents... BlackBerry is encumbered by the bbOS...

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 08:13 AM
    Why are people so head over hills for apps? Most apps people use aren't even productive. Social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. Games such Angry Birds, Candy Crush, and Words With Friends. All these apps are just distractions and pollute our minds with noise.

Maybe it's just the people I'm acquainted with but they all appear to be zombies. Most, not all, are just copying, pasting, and re-posting stuff they can't even put in their own words.
    No analytical skills and a absence of logic to have an intelligent discussion. They say I'm trolling because ask them for an explanation on something they post. Am I wrong for holding people accountable for the things they post on social media?

It appears to me "Attention is the new form of currency!" The older and wiser I get, I find it less acceptable to condone and partake in foolish behavior. I'm baffled as to how people my age and older have disposable to time play games and pretend to be something they're not.

I also wanted to get other people's perspective as to why BlackBerry isn't doing "great." Aside from the plethora of apps, It's more productive than iOS and more secure than Android. The hardware is solid and has been for over 2 years now. 2GB of RAM, NFC, and sharp resolution screen. I don't know, you would think people embrace the idea of being unique with owning a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I'm 42 and to be quite honest, I empathise with you on most of the points you raise, chiefly the need most members of the current and previous generation feel to make themselves heard (without saying anything interesting). I don't think race has anything to do with anything, but i've been blasted on that viewpoint before, so I'm not going to go there lol. I am culturally aware and assert that culture, environment and behaviour form my opinions of people (culture the least of the three) and race or genetic heritage, not one iota. It just isn't relevant in my opinion.

I find it constantly bewildering also, the need people feel these days to procrastinate in a manner that is unrewarding and unenlightening in an educational sense.

When I meet someone new, I sometimes slip into the conversation: what's the last good book you read? That usually reveals a great deal. Life isn't about being constantly productive or efficient or work oriented, but the current trend towards social media and reality TV is just sucking peoples brains out. Everybody sharing everything with everyone is just hell in my opinion. I love BlackBerry because to a certain extent (not totally) the BS is kept out of my life. I communicate when i've got something to say and only use fb to store photos under almost perfect privacy settings.

I would never slate an individual for pursuing what they think they need from a platform or app(s) but the general underlying trend is worrying. Even using plain English and correct spelling is considered optional these days as kids are spending too much time playing games on their phones or responding to tweets instead of listening to the teacher. Basic literacy has taken a nosedive even among highly educated people as a result of shorter attention spans and their phones sabotaging their concentration with inane rubbish.

Anyway, I'm off to kill a few brain cells the old fashioned way at the pub with some good old fashioned face to face interlocution lubricated by a pint or three of the landlords finest ale.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    miker476 and iBwizzle like this.
    07-19-15 09:52 AM
    Not sure what this last post has to do with the topic? Go see a therapist. They always care about how you feel

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 10:29 AM
    Not sure what this last post has to do with the topic? Go see a therapist

Posted via CB10
    You talking about Guy's post? Seems to fit pretty well... introspective post.
    guygardner73 likes this.
    07-19-15 10:31 AM
    You talking about Guy's post? Seems to fit pretty well... introspective post.
    I guess it should have been titled " what do you think is wrong with society and how does it make you feel?"

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 10:34 AM
    I guess it should have been titled " what do you think is wrong with society and how does it make you feel?"

Posted via CB10
    ... which in some ways is exactly what OP got into.
    guygardner73 likes this.
    07-19-15 10:36 AM
    ... When I meet someone new, I sometimes slip into the conversation: what's the last good book you read? That usually reveals a great deal...

Anyway, I'm off to kill a few brain cells the old fashioned way at the pub with some good old fashioned face to face interlocution lubricated by a pint or three of the landlords finest ale.
    Instead of going to a bar and getting wasted, you could be reading more books! :-)
    07-19-15 10:37 AM
    ... which in some ways is exactly what OP got into.
    Pretty sure there are other social media sites to cry your heart out on.
    I guess I got the impression we were talking about apps

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 10:41 AM
    I use some apps daily... IP camera viewers, security controllers, banking, etc. I almost NEVER find any installed or BBW apps of daily use except the excellent clipman app... the hub is ok... blend is ok... there are android equivalents... BlackBerry is encumbered by the bbOS...

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps BlackBerry is not for you, based on the apps you use? Most BlackBerry 10 owners love the Hub. Not sure what you mean about the BBOS?
    "Head over Heels"

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, few other people beat you to that earlier in the thread.

Posted with my  Classic
    07-19-15 11:55 AM
    For my business needs, it's all bout communication, simplicity, automatic syncing, and security. That's it. And That's WHY I choose my 9900 with BIS. It automatically collects travel data without my intervention and puts it in my calendar correctly and efficiently EVERY time. It captures new contact information every time correctly and puts it in my contacts. The keyboard allows me superb typing to respond to emails or social media or texts.

Apps needed for business for ME are Linkedin and Twitter. That's it. I'd love Flipboard for information gathering, but it's not necessary. I'd also love my bank's app, but it's not available on Berry. But it is on Droid. That's my leisure phone.

NOW, for LEISURE, I have my Android 4.3. I need Amazon Music. I need ATT U-Verse. I need Google Play Music. And I need a handful of apps NOT available on my BlackBerry. I personally would rather NOT use my Android for business, but I could. It's just not the same communication platform as my 9900 BIS phone.

If you are using your phone for leisure, I get the APP thing. Younger people whom never got used to the automation and business acumen of a BIS Berry don't know and don't care what they are missing.

Could I live without apps? Sure. But I'd rather not. There are key apps I really have grown used to like Banking. But if it went away, I'd just have to start gong to the bank again to make deposits.
    07-19-15 12:04 PM
    Overall I like the passport very much. But I must admit I find certain inconsistencies across the Blackberry native applications and I'm very impressed with the capacitive keyboard. The ability to use the applications for Security Systems and Cameras is a must and is fulfilled by the android runtime. That capability conditioned my decision to purchase this my first Blackberry operating system device ...If the android runtime is removed from my device by an update I will have to change to another operating system with some degree of regret.
    07-19-15 12:50 PM
    Quote:
    "Apps needed for business for ME are Linkedin and Twitter. That's it. I'd love Flipboard for information gathering, but it's not necessary. I'd also love my bank's app, but it's not available on Berry. But it is on Droid. That's my leisure phone."

------------------------------------------------------------
    If you're banking app is on Android then why don't you just install it on you're BlackBerry? I have a CapitalOne app from Android on my Passport and it works fine. I
    Download TaskManager from google Play and keep an eye on what's running. check to see what Android apps try and run in he background and it's never that one.

Honestly I would love to remove all of my android apps but in all honesty that would degrade my experience due to three crucial app I need. I am constantly looking for ways to get by if I can find one to go strictly BlackBerry apps but having some road blocks. Problem is I may have to give up some convenience to do so and so far the negatives do not outweigh the pros yet.

Because of the HUB, Blend and Link I don't want to go to another phone or platform yet. I do love the efficiency of the BB10 OS and also enjoy how my information isn't being tracked constantly. Truly don't mind going on the website instead of the app but I guess not everyone has a big beautiful screen like some of us

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 12:50 PM
    I'm not a businessman. I'm an academic. Reading is a huge part of what I do. I have hundreds of Kindle books, most of which are not "pleasure reading." I read on my phone when I'm not at home, so the Kindle APP is essential to me, and the Passport screen is ideal for it. It's an app I use daily.

I listen to podcasts when driving and working out, most of them relevant to my academic work. I NEED a solid podcast app. I use bpod.

I follow a number of blogs, also work related. Yes, there are apps for that. I use gNewsReader on BlackBerry.

These are essentials, for me. Kindle is only available to me as an Android app. The others are native.

In addition, I have a slate of second tier apps that I use less frequently, but I still consider them important. There's a tuning app, for musical purposes. I don't need it often, but when I do it's very handy. There are utilities that make bb10 work better. Some of these are in need of updates, which are few and far between now, thanks to the state of bb10.

And yes, I have a couple of games. Desert Golfing (Android) is my current favorite.

I'm lucky in that there's nothing I need or especially want that's not there for me, either native or in a working Android app. Others aren't so lucky. It's true that there are a lot of apps that are just time wasters, from my perspective. But it's just as true that all of us who have a mind to can find ways to waste time, with or without apps. I unfortunately was pretty good at it decades before mobile phones existed.
    app_Developer and DrBoomBotz like this.
    07-19-15 12:51 PM
    Question....

Why is there a NEED for apps? Do you really can't live without it? Is your life depending on it?

Many people are talking about... we NEED this and that app.

Think about it... there is more in life than apps and phones...

07-19-15 02:40 PM
    Question....

Why is there a NEED for apps? Do you really can't live without it? Is your life depending on it?

Many people are talking about... we NEED this and that app.

Think about it... there is more in life than apps and phones...

I think most people understand that the word "need" in these discussions is being used hyperbolically. We don't need apps, or smartphones at all, when it comes to that.

I think it's understood that what we "need" I the context of this technology is simply what we're prepared to insist on. No one is misled.
    LazyEvul and pantlesspenguin like this.
    07-19-15 03:15 PM
182 ... 34567 ...