Apps are the new programs. One reason people preferred Windows to Macs was because there were more programs for Windows than for Macs.

Apps/programs are what make a computer fun and interesting to use. We don't carry around phones anymore, we carry around small computers in our pockets. We expect more from them. I'm not a big app person. I use one Android app, and it is to remotely view the security cameras in my business. I'm very happy with the BlackBerry OS and all it allows me to get done for work and play.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    07-18-15 02:20 PM
    No, my name is Brandon D. Cherry. Google me. LOL.

I concur. Many of the replies here have convinced me BlackBerry is on its last leg. Eventually I should consider adopting a new platform to meet my needs.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think BlackBerry is on its last legs.. it's there to stay... But maybe in a other direction we want it to be. The handsets wil be available and also with just bb10 (perfect imo)
    A lot people love to get rumors out, and are very pessimistic about BlackBerry. But often they are very pessimistic about a whole lot. Often I read those post and I react... But mostly I don't react at all because it is of no use. Then I don't give them my energy. I rather spend my energy on other useful things.. like my private life.

@ OP... I think that i understand what you are trying to say.

Posted via my awesome Classic
    miker476 likes this.
    07-18-15 02:22 PM
    No, my name is Brandon D. Cherry. Google me. LOL.

I concur. Many of the replies here have convinced me BlackBerry is on its last leg. Eventually I should consider adopting a new platform to meet my needs.

Posted via CB10
    well that Google search was interesting. How's the no seatbelt thing going.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 02:49 PM
    Apple cannot see your credit card balance or credit limit. Only your lender can.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/theoprie...ond-the-limit/

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 03:32 PM
    Apple and other companies file patents like this all the time. That doesn't mean they intend to build this or that they can get banks to even agree to this. Very often these patents are filed to prevent other people from doing things.

I can tell you definitively, having worked on Apple Pay myself, that Apple does not and cannot have access to your credit card account info through any existing integration, or agreement with the issuers. I can't see any way any large bank would agree to amend the agreement or add APIs to allow for this. That would be wrong on so many levels.

Now, *we* (issuers) may push ads based on what we know about your account. But that's nothing new. You already trust your bank to know what your account balances are.
    07-18-15 03:41 PM
    well that Google search was interesting. How's the no seatbelt thing going.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, unlike most people, I've always been open. I don't hide in cowardliness. Nothing online is private so I find it useless to make my profiles private.

The seat belt incident along with the moving violation was a drag. I had to settle for 68 hours of community service and traffic school. I recently made my final payment to a lawyer who got a case dismissed. My DMV record is still spotless.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-18-15 04:02 PM
    I thought the same thing. *Hills? Makes no sense.
    K

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 04:06 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry is on its last legs.. it's there to stay... But maybe in a other direction we want it to be. The handsets wil be available and also with just bb10 (perfect imo)
    A lot people love to get rumors out, and are very pessimistic about BlackBerry. But often they are very pessimistic about a whole lot. Often I read those post and I react... But mostly I don't react at all because it is of no use. Then I don't give them my energy. I rather spend my energy on other useful things.. like my private life.

@ OP... I think that i understand what you are trying to say.

Posted via my awesome Classic
    Thank you for your reasonable response. A few tried to attack my views by pointing out a couple grammatical errors. I was looking for a discussion among people I felt had a common interest with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 04:23 PM
    I can only speak for me, I've been issues an Android phone for work.

So I've had a good amount of time with my Q10 and Samsung Galaxy S5.

I always use my Q10, it's my goto phone for doing things. Even with the small screen. Browsing, looking up things, messaging etc.

Basic tasks, I love using my Q10.

I use my Android for consumer needs. Such as apps like Instagram, Snapchat, Netflix, Clash of Clans.

Even apps like Facebook, Twitter, and other apps available on BlackBerry. The quality of apps on these platforms greatly outweigh the ones on BlackBerry.

Now you can call me dumb, less intelligent, whatever.

Tl;dr Fact of the matter is, app situation is a lot better on these platforms. Doesn't matter if you think of others like me dumb. We are who we are and we want what we want. I'm a hardcore BlackBerry user, but this issue alone makes me want to move to Android.

Also BlackBerry seems to be easing on the BlackBerry 10 support. Their APIs aren't exactly up to competition. They started off good but couldn't keep the pace. Competition are two of the biggest software companies. As much as I want BlackBerry 10 to succeed, I don't see it happening. My needs have been unmet for far too long.

Also not everyone else values productivity like us BlackBerry users do. Especially when they're not even aware of a phone with such capabilities. If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one around to hear, did it really fall?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 04:27 PM

Also not everyone else values productivity like us BlackBerry users do.
    I think you make great points, but have to nitpick.

I'd say the other platforms have productivity well in hand.

Having to work potentially harder to get the sane amount done isn't productive.
    21stNow and pantlesspenguin like this.
    07-18-15 04:33 PM
    Apple and other companies file patents like this all the time. That doesn't mean they intend to build this or that they can get banks to even agree to this. Very often these patents are filed to prevent other people from doing things.
    If the bank gets paid, they just have to make it part of the fine print when opening an account. Doesn't sound so hard to me.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 04:39 PM
    If you read other replies of mine you would see that my issues isn't with app functionality. It's with people unwilling to see the potential with BlackBerry for the lack of "popular" apps.

Posted via CB10
    I think the two are inseparable for most consumers. That being "potential" and popular apps. There are folks that look passed the apps shortage and latch onto the other positives. That would be us right here. The CrackBerry folks. Lol.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-18-15 05:25 PM
    I think the two are inseparable for most consumers. That being "potential" and popular apps. There are folks that look passed the apps shortage and latch onto the other positives. That would be us right here. The CrackBerry folks. Lol.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Nailed it.

Posted with my  Classic
    07-18-15 05:44 PM
    How old are you if you don't me asking OP?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 05:48 PM
    Thank you for your reasonable response. A few tried to attack my views by pointing out a couple grammatical errors. I was looking for a discussion among people I felt had a common interest with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think anyone was attacking your views because of your grammar. They were making fun of your grammar. You came to a false conclusion by your false premise.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    07-18-15 06:03 PM
    I don't think anyone was attacking your views because of your grammar. They were making fun of your grammar. You came to a false conclusion by your false premise.

Again, the only flaws people could deconstruct was my grammatical errors. None of my view points were far-fetched. My approach was unlike many have seen. I have no problem revealing my identity and taking accountability. A false claim followed by a false conclusion shows consistency. Some of you took it the wrong way as if I had malicious intent. When you fail to address the topic at hand and criticize grammer, it reflects your true intentions.
    07-18-15 06:41 PM
    How old are you if you don't me asking OP?

Posted via CB10
    I'm 27. My birthday is 12/12/1987
    07-18-15 06:47 PM
    Again, the only flaws people could deconstruct was my grammatical errors. None of my view points were far-fetched. My approach was unlike many have seen. I have no problem revealing my identity and taking accountability. A false claim followed by a false conclusion shows consistency. Some of you took it the wrong way as if I had malicious intent. When you fail to address the topic at hand and criticize grammer, it reflects your true intentions.
    People have in fact picked apart your original premise, myself included. I again tell you, the social apps which you deride are important to people because it connects them to other people. I enjoy going on Facebook or Instagram (well, iGrann), seeing a person I went to high school with is having children, is buying a car, is buying a house.

People share their ups and downs with others and it is sometimes a good forum to seek advice or just someone who will listen to one vent.

I enjoy during Presidential debates, sporting events, newsworthy events being able to go on Twitter to discuss such events as it happens.

Based on your original post, your problem is not with the app gap but is with social media and just apps in general.

Posted with my  Classic
    07-18-15 06:53 PM
    People have in fact picked apart your original premise, myself included.

Based on your original post, your problem is not with the app gap but is with social media and just apps in general.

Posted with my  Classic
    Point taken. There was no right or wrong, only a point of view. I enjoyed hearing the views of others. It's okay to disagree. Life goes on...
    07-18-15 07:14 PM
    I've heard that 60% of apps in Apple store and Google play are actually dead, which means no one buying them

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    That's not hard to believe. I can't recall ever having more than 60 apps on my device at one time. As a matter of fact, I stopped updating popular apps because I noticed features being removed. If it's not buggy, I rarely bother updating.
    07-18-15 07:44 PM
    Your paranoid schizophrenia and delusions of grandeur make for amusing reading.
    People use apps for purposes that satisfy specific needs. Some needs are work, financial, social, or just simple recreation. Nothing inferior or lacking about any of it. Why people use apps is as varied as is the number of people who use apps.
    You project your internal feelings of inferiority in order to create a generalization about others to satisfy your mental needs to feel superior. I believe you started this thread for that purpose, not to engage in open minded, non-judgmental discourse.

Point taken. I have no problem accepting my views are flawed. I'm not immortal, therefore, I can't be superior to another human. I have no desire I to be superior. I just want to live a life of prosperity with equal opportunity and justice for all.

I strongly believe what I said about apps being a distraction in most cases. So much is happening that people aren't aware of. Are people paying attention?
    07-18-15 08:07 PM
    I'm going to take the high road on this thread, which has been unexpectedly interesting. I think iBWizzle has a point, though perhaps not expressed in the best way.

Anyone, like myself who has a CB post count in the thousands is in no position to wag a finger at anyone else about wasting time. I don't think the issue is even about productivity versus frivolity, although that's often how it gets expressed. I do think there is a murmur of backlash against these devices that have us so whipped. I think there is a segment of the population that is taking a second look and wondering how much of this technology is simply a sideshow.

Could BlackBerry find a niche in the minimalist subculture, a "what you really need, done right" kind of approach?

Is that Kool-aid I'm tasting?
    Ecm likes this.
    07-18-15 08:36 PM
    I'm going to take the high road on this thread, which has been unexpectedly interesting. I think iBWizzle has a point, though perhaps not expressed in the best way.

Anyone, like myself who has a CB post count in the thousands is in no position to wag a finger at anyone else about wasting time. I don't think the issue is even about productivity versus frivolity, although that's often how it gets expressed. I do think there is a murmur of backlash against these devices that have us so whipped. I think there is a segment of the population that is taking a second look and wondering how much of this technology is simply a sideshow.

Could BlackBerry find a niche in the minimalist subculture, a "what you really need, done right" kind of approach?

Is that Kool-aid I'm tasting?
    Totally Kool-aid dude. That niche market for productivity is the business/corporate segment and the only reason they see to use BlackBerry is security and perhaps they like the lack there of apps so their employees don't waste too much time. We are already there and now it's were do we go from here and how. If BlackBerry could make a decent Facebook app then why not make others? I don't know what the answer is but if they want to be saved they can't hide behind the "we are only targeting business" as a model. Phone sales have to be in the general public consumer space and they need to give them a reason or show them what they have to offer. They can't even make a commercial.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 10:29 PM
    Totally Kool-aid dude. That niche market for productivity is the business/corporate segment and the only reason they see to use BlackBerry is security and perhaps they like the lack there of apps so their employees don't waste too much time. We are already there and now it's were do we go from here and how. If BlackBerry could make a decent Facebook app then why not make others? I don't know what the answer is but if they want to be saved they can't hide behind the "we are only targeting business" as a model. Phone sales have to be in the general public consumer space and they need to give them a reason or show them what they have to offer. They can't even make a commercial.

Posted via CB10
    I get what you're saying, but maintain that if an employer has to be concerned that employees get carried away with frivolous apps, then that employer has to make better hiring decisions.

Plus, locked down corporate Android and iOS devices (as in, no unapproved apps) are not unheard of.

You make good points.
    07-18-15 10:54 PM
    We should all go back to Windows 3.1 , it had Paint. Who would need more?

But, just as Apple found out that when they were done and bankrupt they needed the support of Microsoft both monetarily and through the courts to get Microsoft to open up their cache of programs to allow Mac compatibility.

Blackberry Handsets are just about done and without cooperation and collaboration with the big players I don't see a way for BlackBerry to exist in the consumer market. Apps are wanted, used and even paid for. Sure I have downloaded many apps from Blackberry World but still need to access Playstore and Amazon to get something that I might need. If the OP uses his phone strictly for calls and email good for him, but others posters have made it clear that the phones we carry are now computers and as such there is a demand for Programs/Apps.

It is clear that Developers have, for the majority, dismissed coding native BB10 apps and you can't blame them because there is no market at the moment.

Love BB10 and want to stay loyal to BlackBerry but if it's apps that other people want then that's what they'll buy and as such BlackBerry has been painted into a corner.

Passport SQW 100-1 OS 10.3.2.2339
    07-19-15 12:27 AM
182 ... 23456 ...