Very disappointing that the next touch devices are a mid tier unit and a slider. I just can't go back to a PKB phone. I tried the q10 and went back to the z10 within a month.

After 7 years with BlackBerry I think I'm going to make the switch to Android. That is solely based off what's coming in the near future from BlackBerry.

I agree with some comments above saying that if BlackBerry wants to keep or gain consumers, that they'd need to have a high end PKB phone and a high end touch device. Choice is important to people. I choose touch, and sadly won't get it from BlackBerry so I'll go where I can get it.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 06:21 AM
    I can already sense the numerous small components that could wear out and break with repeated keyboard removal and attachment.

Posted via CB10
    LG Versa. That's all I have to say about that.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 07:34 AM
    I am amused at the overwhelming call for specs. What amuses me is the dual core 1.7 GHz and 2 GB of RAM on the Z30 is considered to have low end/outdated specs.

What I find amusing is a 1.4 GHz dual core with 1 GB of RAM isn't being called low end or outdated.

It's called the iPhone 6.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 07:44 AM
    I am amused at the overwhelming call for specs. What amuses me is the dual core 1.7 GHz and 2 GB of RAM on the Z30 is considered to have low end/outdated specs.

What I find amusing is a 1.4 GHz dual core with 1 GB of RAM isn't being called low end or outdated.

Posted via CB10
    Good point!!

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 11:37 AM
    With you and OP on this. IMO there's a great need for a phone with serious oomph. I love my Z30, but need something better
    03-07-15 01:40 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if the high end, full touch devices that BlackBerry has released (Z10, Z30) were their least selling smartphones of the last 5 years.

It makes perfect sense for now not to compete directly with the iPhone 6 or the Galaxy S6. Blackberry shouldn't be a wannabe Apple but a Blackberry with its own iconic design.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 01:49 PM

Boy, you know that performance isn't measured in GHz? Iphone 6 has one of the fastest smartphone SoCs around. It's way faster than the outdated Z30 SoC.
    As iOS doesn't eat RAM like BB10 does 1GB is sufficient for most users whereas a BB10 phone with 1GB would be nearly unusable.
    So please stop spreading this bullsh1t. You're only making a fool of yourself.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-07-15 01:56 PM
    While BB certainly needs to offer PKB devices, they need to also provide a good full touch solution that has their excellent virtual keyboard and everything else BB offers. I've been using an all-touch BB of some sort for almost 6 years now (starting with the Storm). I don't see myself acclimating well back to a physical keyboard after all these years. I am open to a Passport or this Slider if either ever become available for Verizon, but in a perfect world I'd want a full touch equivalent of this slider, assuming good specs.
    Firstly, I disagree that the demand for pkb continues to fade. Secondly, what's wrong with the Z30 exactly?? I trust John Chen and I'm sure he did an extensive feasibility study before making any business decisions. All touch devices are hitting a wall or will hit a a ceiling soon. BlackBerry and Chen just needs to be in a position to fill the void when it does. Something you may also be overlooking is that BB cashflow is limited so they have to be prudent and I think they are. Have you noticed thatthe "Classic" & the "Leap" both have IDENTICAL hardware from the Z10 & Q10 resectively? My guess is that BB has a HUGE inventory of those old CPUs and needed to re-purpose them in new devices as the Z10 & Q10 stopped selling. My 2 cents.
    03-07-15 02:38 PM
    With you and OP on this. IMO there's a great need for a phone with serious oomph. I love my Z30, but need something better
    Buckle up! It's going to be a while.
    03-07-15 02:44 PM
    Boy, you know that performance isn't measured in GHz?
    This is my whole point. Performance comes from an OS and hardware that work well together. The people crowing about how outdated specs are for ANY device isn't so important. It's the combination that makes the difference. If the OS sucks, no amount of power you throw at it will fix it. BlackBerry 10 is a good OS, but it can be better. It doesn't matter what specs it has if the hardware integrates well.

I said what I did to make a point about how ridiculous having a fit if a device designed for a certain purpose doesn't fit your personal standard of quality, especially if the device may not be for your particular brand of business or pleasure.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 10:30 PM
    Have you noticed thatthe "Classic" & the "Leap" both have IDENTICAL hardware from the Z10 & Q10 resectively?
    I believe we all noticed. It's the Dodge Neon/PT Cruiser gambit.

It at least makes sense to repurpose old hardware, but the fans are restless.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-07-15 10:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Big difference. IOS does not rely on android apps. If BlackBerry 10 used only cascades apps then the z30 specs would be fine.

Posted via CB10
    unical likes this.
    03-08-15 01:48 AM
    This is my whole point. Performance comes from an OS and hardware that work well together. The people crowing about how outdated specs are for ANY device isn't so important. It's the combination that makes the difference. If the OS sucks, no amount of power you throw at it will fix it. BlackBerry 10 is a good OS, but it can be better. It doesn't matter what specs it has if the hardware integrates well.

I said what I did to make a point about how ridiculous having a fit if a device designed for a certain purpose doesn't fit your personal standard of quality, especially if the device may not be for your particular brand of business or pleasure.

Posted via CB10
    But what do some people know about the marriage between phone hardware and software these days, when all they are concerned about is buying a new handset every 12 months.
    berry4life99 likes this.
    03-08-15 03:03 AM
    Big difference. IOS does not rely on android apps. If BlackBerry 10 used only cascades apps then the z30 specs would be fine.

Posted via CB10
    I believe you're correct. Of course that's a shared blame as native apps aren't being made for BlackBerry 10 because the average consumer didn't buy BlackBerry 10 devices. And consumers didn't buy them because "there's no apps". It's the goofiest catch 22 ever. If there were native versions of the apps we have essentially been forced to download Android apps for we'd really see how our devices can perform.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 05:42 AM
    I believe you're correct. Of course that's a shared blame as native apps aren't being made for BlackBerry 10 because the average consumer didn't buy BlackBerry 10 devices. And consumers didn't buy them because "there's no apps". It's the goofiest catch 22 ever. If there were native versions of the apps we have essentially been forced to download Android apps for we'd really see how our devices can perform.

Posted via CB10
    This is where Android apps were supposed to fill in the gap and get folks buying the phones so that devs would then have a compelling reason to go native for the added functionality (hub integration, etc). If you think about it, BB World + Amazon + unofficial external APK installs from Snap, etc, give BlackBerry a huge app catalogue to choose from. Much larger than Microsoft. All they need to do is make sure it works smoothly.
    berry4life99 likes this.
    03-08-15 09:38 AM
    That's exactly why I don't understand Chens move to use S4 Plus in Classic and Leap, no matter how cheap he could get them.
    a) These devices will never be able to give you a sufficient Android App Experience no matter how bugfree the Runtime is.
    b) Both of them can't be considered as "real" upgrade devices for existing BB10 users and are technically too outdated to gain new users.
    03-08-15 09:48 AM
    Here are the points that make me strongly feel like an upgraded all touch are needed:

If you want to give a device to an employee, you don't want them to think it is an old piece of crap, you want them to see it as a benefit.
    Secondly since we are bridging the gap of apps with android, we likely need better specs to run them effectively.
    Third: the camera is not optimal and in enterprise there are so many times using a camera is very important and carrying a point and shoot is not as practical and takes away from the value proposition (especially when other platforms can deliver).

So far we have the classic, the curved screen slider, the leap (same specs as we have now) and a porches design device (typically they have been reused specs in a fancy body and at a high end price).

I strongly believe they can use a true all touch smartphone in the line-up right now that rewards the loyal BlackBerry 10 users and potentially attracts new users (whether from other platforms or BlackBerry OS).

I guess some of this is a moot point if they can improve the software and remove bugs.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 09:57 AM
    Here are the points that make me strongly feel like an upgraded all touch are needed:

If you want to give a device to an employee, you don't want them to think it is an old piece of crap, you want them to see it as a benefit.
    Secondly since we are bridging the gap of apps with android, we likely need better specs to run them effectively.
    Third: the camera is not optimal and in enterprise there are so many times using a camera is very important and carrying a point and shoot is not as practical and takes away from the value proposition (especially when other platforms can deliver).

So far we have the classic, the curved screen slider, the leap (same specs as we have now) and a porches design device (typically they have been reused specs in a fancy body and at a high end price).

I strongly believe they can use a true all touch smartphone in the line-up right now that rewards the loyal BlackBerry 10 users and potentially attracts new users (whether from other platforms or BlackBerry OS).

I guess some of this is a moot point if they can improve the software and remove bugs.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're absolutely right. The idea that what companies want is cheap low end phones is ridiculous.

Companies want their employees to actually use the phone they provide. Providing a low end phone only ensures that people will either carry two phones or just leave the phone they don't like in the drawer.

While companies are going to provide employees with Porsche Design phones, they aren't going to provide low end phones with two year old specs.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    03-10-15 12:46 AM
    All we want is a Z11 or something. Same size as Z10 with better specs

Visit GTR Lifestyle @ C001247FA
    03-10-15 01:16 AM
    Boy, you know that performance isn't measured in GHz? Iphone 6 has one of the fastest smartphone SoCs around. It's way faster than the outdated Z30 SoC.
    As iOS doesn't eat RAM like BB10 does 1GB is sufficient for most users whereas a BB10 phone with 1GB would be nearly unusable.
    So please stop spreading this bullsh1t. You're only making a fool of yourself.
    Whoa there the iPhone is just an app launcher it cant even multi task period and no true security built into it......even the next iPhone will 2GB ram is the rumor. The iPhone is a basic phone just for launching apps and that's all.....sorry buddy
    03-10-15 09:17 AM
    Whoa there the iPhone is just an app launcher it cant even multi task period and no true security built into it......even the next iPhone will 2GB ram is the rumor. The iPhone is a basic phone just for launching apps and that's all.....sorry buddy
    No it's more than that. I don't like apple but I don't think they are crap. They do have one of the best processors for mobile.
    03-10-15 09:37 AM
    No it's more than that. I don't like apple but I don't think they are crap. They do have one of the best processors for mobile.
    Anthony Roberts thinks that the S4 is fast enough so he won't be impressed by this. Unless you'd talk about the new Slider. That's when great specs start to count xD
    03-10-15 09:40 AM
    BlackBerry is clearly not trying to compete with iPhone, galaxy, htc,lg etc. The problem is I think that consumer profile is really important. The highest end phone sets the image for everything else. I love my z30, but its getting old, and needs more juice...

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 09:55 AM
    BlackBerry is clearly not trying to compete with iPhone, galaxy, htc,lg etc. The problem is I think that consumer profile is really important.
    I agree. This is why the shift of focus to enterprise is so important. In order to ever have a fighting chance in hardware BlackBerry needs to have money for both R&D and marketing. I see the cross platform software as a way to provide that cashflow as much of the software is based on recurring paid subscriptions.

Once the company is healthy enough, making a device on par with or better than the competition's offering at the time will be more feasible once the cash bleed so often alluded to is no longer a worry.

I don't know how long it will take. I don't know if it will happen at all. But I'm hopeful that BlackBerry will make a competitive device and market the crap out of it so people will stop acting like BlackBerry is inferior due to lack of information on their part.

Yes, I know BlackBerry devices have shortcomings. Yes, I know not everyone likes 10.3.1. But I don't think the company's ideas aren't sound reasoning for getting their business back on track.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 02:17 PM
    Anthony Roberts thinks that the S4 is fast enough so he won't be impressed by this. Unless you'd talk about the new Slider. That's when great specs start to count xD
    Man you really love getting on my case eh LOL. Again if you can find a post that I said a flagship phone should use the S4 processor let me know..
    03-10-15 03:16 PM
212 ... 45678 ...