I'm in my 30's, so I am not young and not too old. I am very tech saavy, but can someone please explain to me why Instagram is being constantly mentioned as being necessary for BB10? You take a photo with a camera, add some effects, and upload it to a website. You can then share it with Facebook, Twitter, ETC. Unless I am being dense, can't you do this with many other apps? Even the built in photo app in BB10? I currently have an Android phone and can do this with any # of apps not named Instagram.
    The reason is because:

Instagram is the ultimate attention ***** tool nowadays. You don't even need to be creative anymore because no words are required. You just take a picture of something random (like your big toe or the corner of your desk), add an effect and voila! People are commenting on your pic. This feeds a lot of people's egos.

In a world where the economy sucks and major portions of the population feel repressed, getting attention online is where a lot of them go to feel better about themselves. It's so easy to give eachother positive feedback such as "liking" and reposting somebody's image. You can be an extremely lazy person in general yet be the king of instagram. It can be an addictive hobby.

When life's got you down, it's easy to do simple things to get your mind off the bad stuff. Surfing through pictures online and reposting them for attention is so much easier than tasks like revising your resume or thinking about your career.

Also, when you are immature, you feel that public acceptance and popularity is very important to you so getting your friends or even random people on the internet to give you high fives makes a difference in your self esteem.

When a user uses Instagram, the key is that it makes the user feel "creative" or "artsy", not like an attention *****. Therefore it feels like more of an accomplishment than posting "I just took a dump" on twitter. "Creative" updates get more attention than mundane everyday thoughts. Pictures are meaningful in different ways to different people, so there's a higher chance to get more interesting responses on instagram. If you posted a picture of your toilet on instagram, you'd probably get more interesting comments than just "who cares?".

It's just human nature to act this way. Not everyone does this but we all know the world is made up of mostly unaccomplished people who are content with being "average" because they don't expect or want to progress in an upward direction.

It's just the way the world works and instagram makes the general public happy. If you made a program where average people were making other average people feel good all the time it would be extremely popular too.

Unless you are the 1% that makes a living off of popularity, this app is for people who "don't". Because of this, there's probably a higher proportion of people who use bbs that don't care for instagram than iphone users, however if you are looking to grow in the mobile world, instagram will help with sales because a majority of the population falls into the demographic I've described above.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    Last edited by pooger; 02-02-13 at 09:51 AM.
    HKain7, xweb10, Branta and 3 others like this.
    02-02-13 09:38 AM
    I don't think so much that it's NECESSARY as much as it is for cell phone heads to be able to join in on the wave (& it IS fun sometimes). It sucks sitting on the sidelines sometimes when you know your phone is most capable but just has no developments for the things that have been catching on with everyone else's devices.

I've never used instagram, I don't even know how it works really, I've only ever owned BlackBerries.
    02-02-13 10:01 AM
    I think the detractors of Instagram need to try it out and follow a few bikini models and playmates on there to understand the fuss haha.

but on a sidenote, if the Z10 has a wifi hotspot, you can take pictures and put them on the cloud (box, dropbox) and have an ipod touch access the hotspot and have it pull the pictures off the cloud and post on Instagram from there
    02-02-13 10:09 AM
    Because 100 million people use it. There are an infinite amount of people just like you who see no point in Instagram, but if people want it, BlackBerry 10 needs it to close that "app gap" reviews keep talking about.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    There is ALREADY an app for that on BB10.
    Instagram lets you take a pic, apply filters/effects and share it to social sites.
    Have you used a z10? It practically has Instagram built in.
    take pic, edit w/filters etc, share to anywhere... even via nfc if your "social connection " is standing close by.

I suppose to be fair, it doesn't currently allow you to share directly to Instagram's site, or let you follow picture posters... suppose that's the big draw.
    Last edited by dguy123; 02-02-13 at 10:32 AM.
    02-02-13 10:19 AM
    but on a sidenote, if the Z10 has a wifi hotspot, you can take pictures and put them on the cloud (box, dropbox) and have an ipod touch access the hotspot and have it pull the pictures off the cloud and post on Instagram from there
    I just wish the Z10 would have killed my desire to save up to purchase an iPod touch. I think I may still get one . . . . I need a new iPod anyhow so forget it. Pointless post I guess lol
    02-02-13 10:26 AM
    Because it's a great social media platform. A must have app for me!

Sent from my Iphone 5 using Tapatalk
    Mel25 likes this.
    02-02-13 10:28 AM
    There is ALREADY an app for that on BB10.
    Instagram lets you take a pic, apply filters/effects and share it to social sites.
    Have you used a z10? It practically has Instagram built in.
    take pic, edit w/filters etc, share to anywhere... even via nfc if your "social connection " is standing close by.

I suppose to be fair, it doesn't currently allow you to share directly to Instagram's site, or let you follow picture posters... suppose that's the big draw.
    It appears that the point of my post flew right over your head. I know that BlackBerry 10 has filters built-in, and can share the photos with practically any social network, but that doesn't matter because there are 100 million people who want Instagram, possibly for the very reason you listed in that last sentence. As I said, if people want it, BlackBerry 10 needs it to succeed.
    02-02-13 11:03 AM
    I have no real need for Instagram but I had to tell a friend at work that my BB could not do Instagram. He takes landscape photos with his iPhone and posts them to Facebook and Instagram. I would also like to follow my cousins who also use Instagram.
    02-02-13 11:59 AM
    My question is, why can't there just be a "share to instagr.am" option from photo editor.
    02-02-13 12:26 PM
    My question is, why can't there just be a "share to instagr.am" option from photo editor.
    I believe Instagram hasn't released the appropriate APIs for this at the moment, although I hope they do at some point.
    02-02-13 12:28 PM
    You have to use Instagram to understand it.

It's not like I'm absolutely hooked on it. In fact, it's the opposite. It's just a very fun app to have to share photos with friends, especially considering I dont have a Facebook anymore.
    Mel25 likes this.
    02-02-13 12:41 PM
    I'm in my 30's, so I am not young and not too old. I am very tech saavy, but can someone please explain to me why Instagram is being constantly mentioned as being necessary for BB10? You take a photo with a camera, add some effects, and upload it to a website. You can then share it with Facebook, Twitter, ETC. Unless I am being dense, can't you do this with many other apps? Even the built in photo app in BB10? I currently have an Android phone and can do this with any # of apps not named Instagram.
    +1

We share the same thought from the same background and age group.
    02-02-13 01:08 PM
    Photo by crackberrykevin • Instagram - picture from crackberry Kevin himself, with the instagram app.
    02-02-13 03:25 PM
    Its necessary because all the other platforms have it. It amazes me how things people use so often Blackberry doesnt have, yet wonders why they struggle. I dont use it, but millions do. BB needs it.
    Mel25 and WrightWords like this.
    02-02-13 03:50 PM
    First I don't use instagram and don't know exactly what it is

All of you that are posting that you don't understand the need for instagram are part of the perpetual BB problem, if it does not personally affect you then no one else should need it either. This is no different then the denial on apps that caused BB to lose its dominant market position in the first place.

If people use it and the other platforms have an app for it then BB needs an app for it end of story.

This is the only way that BB will be able to be relevant in the consumer market. If all they want is to be a corporate niche phone for companies that need to lock down their devises then they can ignore the app gap.
    Camelhmpz, JGuez and DirtySantos like this.
    02-02-13 04:08 PM

If people use it and the other platforms have an app for it then BB needs an app for it end of story.
    Well, yes, I think many agree with you about that issue. I think most were generally wondering what the **** you use it [Instagram] for anyhow. The funny part for me now is, since we've been discussing this and Kevin has some sort of app on the main page for it now, if it's a real BB10 app, I may just sign up with them to push more support for Development.
    02-02-13 04:17 PM
    Don't worry. I don't get the necessity for instagram, Skype or netflix. Or pinterest - what the heck is pinterest?

The point is its important to other people. If given a choice between a phone that does all the things they want and has the particular app they want - and a phone that does all the things they want and doesn't have the app they want - then which one are they going to choose.

And let's not kid ourselves. We know BB10 is amazing - but the basic feature set is available on most other phones. To the average Joe its the apps that set them apart. Sad but true.

Please be aware this is not my view. I know that BB10 is the best platform out there.
    02-02-13 04:20 PM
    I was being sarcastic lol, theres only 10-20 different avenues to communicate with people these days. Face to face being one of them. I always thought instagra, was pointless when theres facebook and twitter. Whatever though. If thats what people want it will be impossible to ignore.
    Haha these days Face-To-Face is extinct, quite sad really. And I still see no point of why people care about food pictures and what not... I could see if its like beautiful scenery and such but other then that I don't see what point it has to scroll through random pictures...
    02-02-13 05:39 PM
    I'm 28 I use instagram everyday. Don't knock it till you try it. Thefitness motivation is on another level. Showing my progress and motivating others is amazing. Of course also looking at all the amazing bodies. Goodness people really work hard to stay healthy. Instagram has gotten me to try an array of food, workouts and places to visit.
    02-02-13 05:58 PM
    Until Blackberry's phones become popular enough for these other major application companies to decide there is a need to provide the application we will always be seeing some "app" that is missing from the phone or playbook. I believe there is enough good points about the new BB 10 that some missing apps are not as crucial as it was for all of us Playbook owners. So I do not think that the Z10 will go the way of the Playbook. But at the same time the new Blackberry needs to keep working on these missing apps. They need to take the BBM and expand it so that all the others will be requesting it.
    02-02-13 07:14 PM
    Its very simple. I have been on Instagram for 2 years and as photographer its an important app for me to have and use for exposure. I have close to 20,000 followers which is not easy to just throw away..
    02-06-13 09:35 AM
    I'm a heavy instagram user, I will be upgrading to the Q10 on release but I will be pissed if Facebook doesn't make a instagram app for bb10, that wud be such a deal breaker for me.. I don't want to keep using my gnote just to continue using my instagram! (And for the people who don't know fb bought instagram)

I dunno you have to use it to understand, you can upload pics hashtag them so people searching those hash tags can enjoy all the photos, like for me I'm into custom computers and watercooling etc I can search those hash tags and enjoy looking at other peoples builds as they can enjoy mine.
    glennster28 likes this.
    02-06-13 09:48 AM
    I don't use it either, but have family members and friends that do... but I def. want blackberry to have it because it is known it's a popular app that people look for when looking to buy a smartphone...
    02-06-13 09:55 AM
    I have to admit,i had a very negative outlook for the z10, now i have one it is easily a top contender on the market,EXCEPT the app store which is terribly understocked,thor knew apps were make or break for rim,and for whatever reason they stil have nothing. And its not just instagram which is missing,for me there are 20+ apps
    02-06-13 10:02 AM
    It's the social network thats why. It's the BBM of photos sharing, because unlike Facebook, you can check out and like/comment on random people's photos, as well as people you follow/friends with. Find people that are into the same things you are via #hashtags. It's not just filtered photos.

Like you, I didn't see the appeal until I actually tried it. I 'lurk' on it from my TouchPad. I suggest you try it out. Add your friends on it. You'll see why it's a must have app for the MILLIONS that use it. I know a lot of people intrigued by BB10, asking if Instagram is on there. They'd probably switch back if it were on there. Don't be so quick to dismiss it. Personally it's one of the apps I'm hoping for.
    02-06-13 10:06 AM
109 1234 ...