Recently received my Z10 back from the service center due to dead pixels. The LCD and digitizer has been replaced. The device has also been upgraded to 10.3.1.1565.

And I'm extremely disappointed. Here's why.
    Firstly, right off the bat, during the device set up, it is not possible to sign into your BlackBerry ID. Nothing happens when you click Sign In or Create Account. You'll have to do this later in settings. Okay a minor annoyance but no biggie. It now gets stuck at "Customising for your region" for about half an hour, before finally allowing me to use the device.

Right, I'm at the home screen, and I'm disgusted. Flat design?! YUK. When iOS 7 first came out, this was the primary reason for me choosing BlackBerry 10 over upgrading my iPhone to iOS 7. Maybe I'm a bit shallow, but it's so ugly, I can't use it, let alone look at it.
    BlackBerry 10.3.1.xxxx isn't anywhere near as bad, it's tolerable, but I definitely prefer the look and design of 10.2.1.xxxx.

I close all the apps, and I'm now left with a blank page, with nothing but a feint date on it. Not really happy about this, I preferred it when it would go back to your apps after you've closed all of them.

Time for one of the main attractions (for me at least) now - the music player.
    Immediate disappointment here - another half hour wait for the device to scan the media card which contains about 5GB of music ~ 750 tracks. It isn't an awful lot, 10.2.1.xxxx would finish this in less than 5 minutes.
    It gets worse. I was overjoyed to see that the amazing Equaliser function found in BBOS 7 devices has made its way to BB10. Or at least I thought it had. When I enabled the Equaliser on a track in the FLAC format, the music stopped and refused to play any track citing "The media cannot be played because of an unknown error (3)". A reboot solves the problem but results in another half hour of scanning the media card.
    The Equaliser is absolutely awful in 10.3.1.xxxx. It's not like the BBOS 7 one which was amazing, it's absolute pants.
    BB10's equaliser doesn't lower the overall volume before boosting certain frequency ranges, resulting in terrible clipping/distortion, especially when using Bass Boost. BBOS 7's equaliser did this, thus avoiding clipping/distortion. Furthermore, I find that the BB10 Bass Boost is just too powerful, further aggravating the issue above. BBOS 7's equaliser had a nice Bass Boost which wasn't too powerful or too weak.
    I won't be getting rid of my Curve 9360 as a music device just yet in that case!

Finally, Android emulator performance seems to be terrible in 10.3.1.1565, some Android games which ran brilliantly in 10.2.1.xxxx now run at crappy frames per second, hindering the experience.

I'm actually considering downgrading back to 10.2.1.xxxx as it just seemed so much more stable, had less bugs, looks nicer imo and runs better on the Z10.
    I don't feel 10.3.1.xxxx was really ready for public release, it seems like a BETA version to me.
    But I'm not going to make any rushed decisions just yet, I will probably use it for a while and see how it goes.

What do you guys think? Agree or disagree? Encountered any bugs?
    Please discuss.
    Last edited by Someone7272; 03-09-15 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammar and typos.
    sunny95arora and peter0328 like this.
    03-09-15 07:58 PM
    I actually really like 10.3.1. Yea the flat icons are a hit and miss, but to each their own. The blank homepage can be turned off in the setting for display.

Posted via CB10
    Georgiegeorge and ZsZ10 like this.
    03-09-15 08:10 PM
    Agree to everything the op says.

The only good thing about the music player is it finally remembers where the last track left off.

Today I got sick of rebooting my phone to try and get it to read my sd card via file manager or the music app. It wouldn't read it so I gave up.

Yesterday I had Bluetooth and wifi on and for some reason the app would crash mid track. Also happened if I had the track paused for a few minutes whilw doing something else.

The call answer debacle is an entirely different thing all together. Really liked this os until this issues came about.

Edit: positives are the hub...really like how it's been tweaked. Assistant app has helped me a fair bit. Battery saving feature is also a plus.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    DAMIAN MCGINN1 likes this.
    03-09-15 10:51 PM
    My second day with 10.3.1.1xxx and I haven't found any other real bugs except for the ones I've mentioned and one more.

Seems a lot of Android apps can no longer connect to the Internet.
    Not sure why this is happening, some can and some can't. Very odd.

I will add a plus though, the battery life is SO much better in 10.3.1.1xxx even though I carry at least 1 spare fully charged battery around with me. Ah the joys of a removable battery. Screw you iPhone users!
    03-12-15 08:24 PM
    I am using a 128G SD card with 40G of music on it (MP3 @192kbit). No probs at all with this constellation.
    Maybe your music file format is causing some trouble?
    Georgiegeorge likes this.
    03-13-15 10:07 AM
    I feel like smashing this phone to be honest.
    Every time I turn on Bluetooth or plug in the charger. The sd card disappears from site. Takes several reboots to detect it.

I was in love with this new os....but it's turning out to be a royal pita.

03-13-15 11:51 AM
    There is a new update starting to roll out so hopefully our devices are going to be less hassle.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 11:59 AM
    I am using a 128G SD card with 40G of music on it (MP3 @192kbit). No probs at all with this constellation.
    Maybe your music file format is causing some trouble?
    I'm not using MP3 for 99% of my music files because the audio quality is exceptionally poor, even at 320Kbps. I'm not an audiophile, but I can still hear the difference. Most of my files are FLAC files (which can run anywhere between 500Kbps - 1000Kbps) and some of them are direct analog-to-digital vinyl rips that I've done. Other files are encoded in M4A (from iTunes) and like one or two are some old MP3s which I will be upgrading to a higher quality format very soon. Regardless, ALL file types encounter equaliser distortion UNLESS the audio file was mastered at a lower peak volume i.e. like my vinyl rips, which I recorded at a slightly lower volume to allow headroom for the device's equaliser. However on BBOS 7 and below, I didn't need to do this, if a file was mastered too loudly to apply an EQ, the device would lower the volume slightly to make room for the EQ, this doesn't happen on the BB10, and it should be quite simple to implement, so I don't see any reason why not to.

If there is no EQ applied, then the files have no distortion/clipping, so the issue here is with BB10's EQ boosting levels of the frequency range, but not lowering the overall volume first, resulting in clipping.
    03-13-15 02:15 PM
    Agree to everything the op says.

The only good thing about the music player is it finally remembers where the last track left off.

Today I got sick of rebooting my phone to try and get it to read my sd card via file manager or the music app. It wouldn't read it so I gave up.

Yesterday I had Bluetooth and wifi on and for some reason the app would crash mid track. Also happened if I had the track paused for a few minutes whilw doing something else.

The call answer debacle is an entirely different thing all together. Really liked this os until this issues came about.

Edit: positives are the hub...really like how it's been tweaked. Assistant app has helped me a fair bit. Battery saving feature is also a plus.

What version of SD do you have?

Move all the files off the card format it then move them back try that.

Posted from my Zed30 running 10.3.1.2267
    03-13-15 04:27 PM
    You can turn off the blank home screen by going to settings - display so that isn't a problem. Battery life and Android performance are vastly improved for almost everyone so it seems you are just have problems with yours. Maybe a security wipe or the new update will fix the android performance as well as SD card and equaliser problems.

The UI I can't help you with though. I love it but I guess it's not for everyone

Posted via CB10
    DeviceTester likes this.
    03-13-15 04:31 PM
    You can turn off the blank home screen by going to settings - display so that isn't a problem. Battery life and Android performance are vastly improved for almost everyone so it seems you are just have problems with yours. Maybe a security wipe or the new update will fix the android performance as well as SD card and equaliser problems.

The UI I can't help you with though. I love it but I guess it's not for everyone

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, I'm aware of this and have adjusted my settings accordingly.

There is a new update starting to roll out so hopefully our devices are going to be less hassle.

Posted via CB10
    I'm aware that an update will be coming out soon, but as I'm in the UK, and have to wait for Three to approve it (which won't happen - they don't care for BlackBerry anymore and take months to approve updates) then I'm screwed. I hope buying this off ShopBlackBerry unlocked will get around that!
    03-13-15 07:30 PM
    I'm not using MP3 for 99% of my music files because the audio quality is exceptionally poor, even at 320Kbps. I'm not an audiophile, but I can still hear the difference. Most of my files are FLAC files (which can run anywhere between 500Kbps - 1000Kbps) and some of them are direct analog-to-digital vinyl rips that I've done. Other files are encoded in M4A (from iTunes) and like one or two are some old MP3s which I will be upgrading to a higher quality format very soon. Regardless, ALL file types encounter equaliser distortion UNLESS the audio file was mastered at a lower peak volume i.e. like my vinyl rips, which I recorded at a slightly lower volume to allow headroom for the device's equaliser. However on BBOS 7 and below, I didn't need to do this, if a file was mastered too loudly to apply an EQ, the device would lower the volume slightly to make room for the EQ, this doesn't happen on the BB10, and it should be quite simple to implement, so I don't see any reason why not to.

If there is no EQ applied, then the files have no distortion/clipping, so the issue here is with BB10's EQ boosting levels of the frequency range, but not lowering the overall volume first, resulting in clipping.
    I find there's too much bass with the EQ set to "Off". Before 10.3 did not have this problem. Is there a preset that is known to be "flat"?

Q10 fido
    03-14-15 09:22 AM
    Thanks, I'm aware of this and have adjusted my settings accordingly.

I'm aware that an update will be coming out soon, but as I'm in the UK, and have to wait for Three to approve it (which won't happen - they don't care for BlackBerry anymore and take months to approve updates) then I'm screwed. I hope buying this off ShopBlackBerry unlocked will get around that!
    Three released 10.3.1 at the same time as every other UK operator and have already released the new update for Z30 devices.

Posted via CB10
    devin266 likes this.
    03-14-15 12:52 PM
    I completely agree with #1
    I'm experiencing the same problems
    �scanning media card takes ages
    �NOT ONLY THE MUSIC PLAYER,PHOTOS AND VIDEOS IS ALSO CRASHING WITH THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE.
    �the frame rate in android apps is crappy
    �my phone CANNOT run 2 android apps at the same time now
    �overall gaming experience went down
    � I have this problem, the default screen orientation is landscape!!!!!!!!!!! It's way too annoying
    �battery performance has become very very very poor!! Compared to avg 6 hrs that I could get out of my Z10 when it was running 10.2
    I have even bought a new battery, the problem still persists, now I'm switching batteries every 3 hours!!!
    � the layout does actually make it look like iphone. I did not buy a BlackBerry so that one day it could look like iPhone.

I'm finding my BlackBerry 9360 to be saviour these days.
    I'm running Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243

And I'm certainly considering downgrading.
    If only the 10.2 OS could have equaliser feature which had the same performance as that of BB OS7

Posted via CB10
    Someone7272 likes this.
    03-14-15 01:06 PM
    What version of SD do you have?

Move all the files off the card format it then move them back try that.

Posted from my Zed30 running 10.3.1.2267
    I have a lexar 300x 32gig. I could likely try the formatting route. Just tougher to do with 28 gigs of media on it. More of a hassle since it worked flawlessly before the update.

03-15-15 03:04 PM
    I have a lexar 300x 32gig. I could likely try the formatting route. Just tougher to do with 28 gigs of media on it. More of a hassle since it worked flawlessly before the update.

Anyone know how to solve this issue. As of today my sd card has become undetectable by the phone.

03-19-15 11:22 AM
    I think upgrading to 2265 is the way to solve all your problems. I really like the version because it fixes most of the problem people have.

Really, a blitz update would be enough.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 12:31 PM
    I think upgrading to 2265 is the way to solve all your problems. I really like the version because it fixes most of the problem people have.

Really, a blitz update would be enough.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! As much as loading a solid leak is a pain it may be necessary at this point.

03-19-15 01:37 PM
    Thanks! As much as loading a solid leak is a pain it may be necessary at this point.

How is a non-destructive update a pain?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.1.2582
    03-19-15 04:12 PM
    How is a non-destructive update a pain?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.1.2582
    Perhaps "hassle " would've been a better word to use. I'm used to installing leaks but they aren't as convenient as Ota updates.

03-19-15 09:58 PM
    My z10 Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2267 has not answered, or placed, a single call properly since the update. Vibrate is turned off. To dial, I have a good 10 second delay where the device is locked up and then it calls. To answer, I swipe, it locks for about five seconds, then it appears to answer yet takes another five second to connect. Meanwhile the person calling me thinks I answered 10 seconds ago and there is dead air.

The music app... I adjust the volume and the music skips. Hate it.

Everything runs slower, especially while on the phone. If I try to take a picture or send a bbm all the sounds are delayed a few seconds.

Just wish I could easily downgrade as I don't want to spend a whole day trying to get an autoloader to work.

Not amused

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 10:07 PM
    Z10 is running great on 10.3.0 but my resuscitated Passport decided to update to 10.3.1.1581. Only thing I didn't like is that this update was Mandatory.

Some screen flickering and keyboard flashing, I think on tutorials. Doesn't bother me now that my phone is working again. The update to 10.3.1 was a nightmare but I really like it, actually and am looking forward to the next

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 10:57 PM
    I got the update to my Q10 last night and it just feels like 10.2.x with a new coat of paint. None of the major productivity bugs were fixed for example support for shared calendar on Google Apps we have a departmental calendar at work that I can't get to show up on my Q10 and I'm using active sync as well.

Blackberry doesn't offer it's own cloud email/calendar service but it's also terrible at integrating with third party cloud services as well.
    03-20-15 07:44 AM
    I should change the title of this topic to "Why I'm PISSED OFF with 10.3.1.1xxx!".

Sorry if this is getting a bit swear heavy and blunt, but I want to share my (relatively poor) experience so far with BlackBerry 10.3.1.1565.

Why is my device STILL on 10.3.1.1565?! I thought a new update was released by BlackBerry to mitigate at least some of these issues! It's a ShopBlackBerry RMA device.

The equaliser distortion only occurs on bass heavy tracks. So I guess that's understandable but in no way does that make it okay. Surely they should have the equaliser analyse the track first, detect the peak level, and adjust the overall playback level to allow room for the equalisation boost without clipping. This is what BBOS 7 and earlier used to do.

Additionally, I've noticed sometimes adjusting the volume or even just browsing the Web whilst listening to music can cause the music to skip. Very annoying. This certainly didn't happen in the days of 10.2.x!

WHY is the device auto-correcting words that I've spelt correctly with words I don't want! For example, "or" might get replaced with "of"! I didn't want that!

Android App performance is still terrible.
    If you've got Jelly Jump installed, you can see just how bad it is. It's barely playable. The iPhone version I have on my iPhone 4S with iOS 6 (which runs at 800Mhz, and the Z10 runs at 1.5Ghz), Jelly Jump runs perfectly on my iPhone despite it being much less powerful than the Z10.
    Due to the nature of this game, which requires precise timing with smooth motion, if this game runs below 30fps (which it does in my Z10), it becomes even harder to play than what it already is.

The browser seems much slower and lagging, sometimes completely locking up requiring a forced reboot to get out of it, sometimes it recovers.

Aw hell, this is iOS 7 all over again.
    I didn't buy a BlackBerry to follow in the footsteps of iOS 7, in fact I wanted to distance myself as far away from that crap excuse of a mobile OS as much as possible. But BlackBerry aren't doing a good job at that. Fix it for f*** sake.
    Last edited by Someone7272; 03-28-15 at 08:41 PM.
    03-28-15 08:27 PM
    I should change the title of this topic to "Why I'm PISSED OFF with 10.3.1.1xxx!".

Sorry if this is getting a bit swear heavy and blunt, but I want to share my (relatively poor) experience so far with BlackBerry 10.3.1.1565.

Why is my device STILL on 10.3.1.1565?! I thought a new update was released by BlackBerry to mitigate at least some of these issues! It's a ShopBlackBerry RMA device.

The equaliser distortion only occurs on bass heavy tracks. So I guess that's understandable but in no way does that make it okay. Surely they should have the equaliser analyse the track first, detect the peak level, and adjust the overall playback level to allow room for the equalisation boost without clipping. This is what BBOS 7 and earlier used to do.

Additionally, I've noticed sometimes adjusting the volume or even just browsing the Web whilst listening to music can cause the music to skip. Very annoying. This certainly didn't happen in the days of 10.2.x!

WHY is the device auto-correcting words that I've spelt correctly with words I don't want! For example, "or" might get replaced with "of"! I didn't want that!

Android App performance is still terrible.
    If you've got Jelly Jump installed, you can see just how bad it is. It's barely playable. The iPhone version I have on my iPhone 4S with iOS 6 (which runs at 800Mhz, and the Z10 runs at 1.5Ghz), Jelly Jump runs perfectly on my iPhone despite it being much less powerful than the Z10.
    Due to the nature of this game, which requires precise timing with smooth motion, if this game runs below 30fps (which it does in my Z10), it becomes even harder to play than what it already is.

The browser seems much slower and lagging, sometimes completely locking up requiring a forced reboot to get out of it, sometimes it recovers.

Aw hell, this is iOS 7 all over again.
    I didn't buy a BlackBerry to follow in the footsteps of iOS 7, in fact I wanted to distance myself as far away from that crap excuse of a mobile OS as much as possible. But BlackBerry aren't doing a good job at that. Fix it for f*** sake.
    I'd just buy an android phone if I were you.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 09:14 PM
34 12