Hey,

Is it possible to switch the icon design on BB10? As a iPhone and Blackberry user I must say that the BB10 design looks like something from the first generation Android phones. What was blackberry thinking when they designed this system?

BB1O on Z10

Early generation of Android, notice the ugly interface with boxes surrounding the icons. Much a like BB10.

Latest iOS 7 from Apple. Simply design yet probably one of the most beautiful user interfaces on any phone.

The device I have is a Q10.
    Last edited by Kris Simundson; 06-27-13 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Removing BBOS theme picture, claiming to be of Q10
    06-25-13 01:30 PM
    I agree. The icons are stuffy and dated. I'd much prefer something more representational than realistic. WP8 has the best design, for my money, followed by apple. I think BlackBerry should embrace a more modern, digital aesthetic.

And the transparent boxes around the icons are equally ugly, but I can understand how they might serve a functional purpose. Still a bit tasteless. Did the hire any graphic designers to design this interface? Layout and spacing is really weird all over the OS, tbh.

Posted via CB10
    rav813 and anon(4044683) like this.
    06-25-13 01:36 PM
    Hey,

Is it possible to switch the icon design on BB10? As a iPhone and Blackberry user I must say that the BB10 design looks like something from the first generation Android phones. What was blackberry thinking when they designed this system?

BB1O on Z10 and Q10
    http://i.imgur.com/Jx5O3TA.gif
    http://i.imgur.com/9W9ht07.jpg

Early generation of Android, notice the ugly interface with boxes surrounding the icons. Much a like BB10.
    http://i.imgur.com/NUUn3Jo.jpg

Latest iOS 7 from Apple. Simply design yet probably one of the most beautiful user interfaces on any phone.
    http://i.imgur.com/OzGsHOZ.jpg

The device I have is a Q10.
    Blackberry doesn't have Jon Ive, or anyone with good design taste in senior management, or any ONE cohesive vision for design.

Look at the Z10 Q10 and Q5... each looks like it was designed by a different team, completely random designs... story of blackberry.
    06-25-13 01:36 PM
    And, please give me an option to darken up the hub and lose the bright blue.

Posted via CB10
    venious and anon(4044683) like this.
    06-25-13 01:38 PM
    I find the IOS7 icons looks kiddish
    06-25-13 01:44 PM
    Blackberry doesn't have Jon Ive, or anyone with good design taste in senior management, or any ONE cohesive vision for design.

Look at the Z10 Q10 and Q5... each looks like it was designed by a different team, completely random designs... story of blackberry.
    I completely agree with you, it is a real pity that Blackberry does not put more though into the design of the user interface.
    Fnen90 and allengeorge like this.
    06-25-13 01:50 PM
    Some of the OS5-7 BlackBerry devices featured a similar icon presentation...not nearly as pretty though...

Why are the icons so hideous?-icons.png

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    06-25-13 01:51 PM
    I agree that BB10 icons are not very appealing but the IOS7 icons are a step back for Apple.
    06-25-13 01:52 PM
    I'm sorry but did you just refer to the iOS 7 icons as beautiful? heh. I agree the BB ones are kinda ugly as well but no way would I call iOS 7 beautiful. It looks like a ADD child went to town on the design with a box of crayolas or Jony got drunk one night and puked up a rainbow. I hear the easter bunny has filed suite to get his colors back.
    06-25-13 01:52 PM
    I just love my icons

Why are the icons so hideous?-img_00000019.png

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 02:03 PM
    I wouldn't call them ugly, or non-ugly. They're freaking icons! .... seriously, this is a gripe?
    06-25-13 02:13 PM
    At least the iOS7 icons are designed and have a consistent design theme (a theme that isn't dated or crap, imo. They may be a bit feminine, but they have a design language that anyone can pick up on.

BB10 icons are not designed. They appear to be lifted from the mid 90s.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 02:24 PM
    Id like to see all the apps icons be the same size....it looks ugly with varying sizes. The Reddit in motion or Stocks for Blackberry 10 is imo the perfect size and shape for this layout. I hope Blackberry nakes all the app icon look consistent.

Z10in' since the Beginnin'
    06-25-13 02:32 PM
    There is nothing special about Apple's icon design and I prefer the photo-realistic look over the carebears ios7 design although the bb10 icons can be improved. WP box icons are just bland and boring.

If you want to see ugly icons then just look at some of the stock Android icons. There is a reason so many try to skin it and pretty it up as some like the phone one are just bad.
    06-25-13 02:33 PM
    Lol, this guy thinks skeumophicism is more attractive than purely digital interface design.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 02:44 PM
    Lol, this guy thinks skeumophicism is more attractive than purely digital interface design.

Posted via CB10
    Who said that? Bad skeumophicism is what Apple was doing all over in app design with the digital leather and so on to represent real world objects in the apps themself which was horrible. Even Blackberry with the old calculator app did this.

Icons will always use skeumophicism to represent what they launch just as Windows Phone still uses a paper mail envelope to represent a digital email app. I guess an exception is the ios7 game center app which is random. I just like the realistic aesthetic more for icons since they still mostly represent physical objects anyway.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 06-25-13 at 03:37 PM.
    06-25-13 03:09 PM
    Windows employs graphic design, while BlackBerry employs no design.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 03:11 PM
    Windows employs graphic design, while BlackBerry employs no design.

Posted via CB10
    So all white representations of objects on blocks of random color is great design? At least I guess it makes the job of an icon designer much easier for Microsoft's graphics department.
    06-25-13 03:22 PM
    Did anyone else notice the second picture? What the hell is that all about lol

Posted via my Q10 SQN100-1
    06-25-13 03:27 PM
    Did anyone else notice the second picture? What the hell is that all about lol

Posted via my Q10 SQN100-1
    I actually would like to see the notification bar present on the left side similar to the second picture whenever you are in the active frame grid...

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 03:29 PM
    Funnily enough one of the things I never liked about the iPhone was the icons, apart from the obvious increase in the colour saturation in iOS7, I'm struggling to notice any difference with the icons really! Ugly to me is having loads of different sized squares like you have in Windoze, BB10 is neither gorgeous nor ugly, its just there!
    dcburke789, lil_g and Dr J39 like this.
    06-25-13 03:47 PM
    I actually would like to see the notification bar present on the left side similar to the second picture whenever you are in the active frame grid...

Posted via CB10
    It's a 9800 theme.

Nux Store - Konten - I love #BB10
    russworman and dracolnyte like this.
    06-25-13 03:55 PM
    Hey,

My guess is they got the kid in the mail room to do them when he finished their marketing campaign.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    06-25-13 03:56 PM
    Seriously without criticizing the iOS 7 icons (even if they're damn ugly and everything but not consistent), that's not the problem of the new direction.

Everything is loud and intense. It simply will just make your eyes tire sooner than later. It screams to your face, until you just get used to the circus. And the perfectly white background makes it even worse.
    To display a notification on an icon, like the splat in BlackBerry 10, is almost impossible, because it just could not stand out from this very intense rainbow colored mess.

Also, there's basically no buttons, and I'm not against of it, as Microsoft could make it work. But if there are no explicit borders there should be some invisible ones. It usually called padding. But they missed on it, as well.

The whole OS just states that it is not for work and usability, but to give attraction for those who was bored with the previous iOS designs, or need a flashy phone for their short attention span. You can love it, it's your choice, enjoy it, but sooner or later everything will be dull. And Apple will ruin something again, and it'll be their biggest mistake: the usability.

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    yelmonster and rav813 like this.
    06-25-13 03:59 PM
    If you want to see ugly icons then just look at some of the stock Android icons. There is a reason so many try to skin it and pretty it up as some like the phone one are just bad.
    Stock Android icons are ugly? Put down the bottle buddy, Google App icons put those designed by BB to absolute shame. Uniform and consistent design.
    EddieAIG likes this.
    06-25-13 03:59 PM
163 123 ...