Which BBC videos are you trying to watch? Are you on the mobile site? Every video I could find played in the browser. Here is an example...

Ukraine crisis: Debaltseve 'in total shock' - BBC News

my Z10 has latest update, BBC i player app came at launch worked before now needs Flash player with browser set to desktop mode and viewing desktop BBC news site no videos will play, so this vital service to UK owners is no longer available, yes have found Android version( it's not on Amazon) but is on another site and the performance is variable might launch if if feels like doing so, many other similar services are now not available, your link when tried on Z10 will not work, so to have BBC I Player i have to use a windows phone/ Android phone/ I phone, before the update i could view all UK TV and Radio services on the internet because BB10 had flash support the very reason i bought the Z10 two years ago, now the Z10 is of little use for media, is there an easy way to go back to previous 10.2 for the owner who is not a Genius with technology ?. via Z10 
    02-22-15 03:54 AM
    Only missing of flash, rest of the things mentioned by OP are much better.
    02-22-15 04:01 AM
    Actually I read about that 12 percent still use Flash, and quite a few of my devices allow flash my from Android devices to my Pro, to my gp2xwiz (fun toy fyi). Not saying they should, but they do

Considering BB10 is... what 1 percent of the phone market? ...maybe they shouldn't be using that as a cutoff value for what to support, especially when it's already there and working.

I see *that* counting against them while bartering with Netflix and SnapChat, etc.

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    Do you honestly believe that BlackBerry should support something that is no longer supported by the owner and developers?

To me it just sounds ridiculous.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    02-22-15 04:12 AM
    Do you honestly believe that BlackBerry should support something that is no longer supported by the owner and developers?

Very little in the world is absolute yes, or absolute no. Disagreeing with a statement presented does not automatically equate to the extreme side of the argument.

BBRY added flash way too late, even built an OS on it, and then forcefully killed it off without informing users. Of course some people should be unhappy.

I expect more from a manufacturer desperately trying to stay alive, like basic communication and awareness with users. I know they have analysts smart enough to know better. None of that means i believe they need to keep supporting flash. However they removed it to save money and so absolutely I believe they are accountable to warn, inform and advise their flash users at an absolute minimum.

/endrant

Last edited by KermEd; 02-22-15 at 04:59 AM.
    02-22-15 04:44 AM
    Very little in the world is absolute yes, or absolute no. Disagreeing with a statement presented does not automatically equate to the extreme side of the argument.

BBRY added flash way too late, even built an OS on it, and then forcefully killed it off without informing users. Of course some people should be unhappy.

I expect more from a manufacturer desperately trying to stay alive, like basic communication and awareness with users. I know they have analysts smart enough to know better. None of that means i believe they need to keep supporting flash. However they removed it to save money and so absolutely I believe they are accountable to warn, inform and advise their flash users at an absolute minimum.

/endrant

Flash deserved to die, just as Steve Jobs killed it for iOS so must it die for the safety and stability of our devices. Sometimes decisions have to be made, they may never satisfy everyone all the time but there are many of us out here that really understand why it needs to be retired.
    It is up to web site and their designers to adapt and make the changes to HTML5 sooner than later.
    ExplicitPromo likes this.
    02-22-15 06:16 AM
    Ain't this Flash ranting never going to end *sigh*. Also - half of the internet - loooool :-D!! I mean with Flash being phased out by Adobe and all that , but you probably know that, right? It has been mentioned a million times now I guess. And there's also the fact that Adobe Flash is just the worst when it comes to security and all that. But who am I to think that BlackBerry actually cares about security...Despite the fact that you seem to be 100 percent convinced of it's importance - Flash is (almost) done ;-). Also I love 10.3.1 on my Q5. No problems so far besides the usual getting used to it <3.

Posted via CB10
    You would think huh. With all the threads already stating that Flash was removed you would think that the shock would have been done and over with since the first 10.3.1.xxxx leak wouldn't you. But no, people are too lazy to research the issues and cry after the fact that it was reported at least 2 dozen times, MINIMUM. Yes Mobile Flash is dead. Adobe killed it, yes there are browsers that still support it but once again people cry as if it were the end of the world.
    02-22-15 06:46 AM
    Nope, HTML5 Video, they knew Apple didn't support Flash but did support the fledgling HTML5. It wasn't in the BBC's interest to rely on all iPhone users to make use of the BBC app so they had to make sure their site was compatible. Now I've not looked into it but perhaps only iPhone devices get served H264 instead of Flash while in desktop mode (it would have made sense five years ago that's for sure).

Posted via CB10
    There is no such thing as "HTML5 video". HTML5 is simply a way to code your page so you can play some various video formats directly without a special player.

Yes, I believe the h.264 you are talking about was for .mov compatible devices, as this is what youtube did for years so their site could be seen by idevices. They made 2 versions of every single video.....including all of their existing ones.. One in flash (standard) and the other for I-devices. Now they have (what is incorrectly referred to as) HTML5 video, which is most likely h.264 since that's the only one that plays in all HTML5 compatible browswers.
    02-22-15 07:11 AM
    IMO this means website owners that prefer to deploy Flash content don't give a rip about mobile viewers.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.1.2072
    Or....they simply were waiting for the HTML5 video standard to become official (which is just did a few months ago), before beginning any new web development and perhaps also waiting for their next burst of capital available to do this. I'm pretty sure it's not a "snap your fingers" change. And big companies usually have layers of decision makers.

Or, they were hoping that mobile users would still be able to see them for a while.

OR....they were also serving up an alternate video stream ONLY for i-devices since so many are in service. You know.....like Youtube did for years. Or like Southwest Airlines does on their in-plane video service for non-flash devices.

There's always plenty of legitimate reasons beyond "they are just lazy and are fighting progress, blah, blah, blah"
    02-22-15 07:16 AM

Without informing users?

They made it quite obvious that flash was being removed.

It has been mentioned in interviews, just because they don't announce to the world about dropping flash doesn't mean they didn't inform users.

02-22-15 07:17 AM
    Very few websites still use mobile flash.

In no way is it half the Internet, and your making it sound like all other devices have flash and only BlackBerry doesn't.

You didn't read my comment below that. In terms of actual bits being pushed it's a lot. Also, a lot of sites play video specifically catering to i-devices to get around their no-flash problem, but other non-flash devices can't see them. As long as i-devices are still in such large numbers, a lot of sites are in no hurry to cater to those flash phones that have now lost flash.
    02-22-15 07:20 AM
    I agree that BlackBerry has a responsibility - just like every other mobile device manufacturer - to try to inform users of significant changes. I am unable to speak to whether they did this in the case of Flash. I also know that Flash had to go for many reasons, including; Adobe proprietary costs, security issues, performance issues, and reliability issues.

Apple, BlackBerry and Microsoft (mobile) no longer support Flash. Adobe has said that they will no longer support Flash on Android devices. It is only a matter of time, folks! You may as well accept the inevitable and let Flash go.
    02-22-15 07:23 AM

What sounds ridiculous is saying that 12% still in use equals "no longer supported". Not saying that 12% (however this number was actually acquired) isn't accurate, just saying that means that Flash is still in use, and in that 12% is coming from some major traffic web sites with high numbers of users.
    02-22-15 07:24 AM
    There is no such thing as "HTML5 video". HTML5 is simply a way to code your page so you can play some various video formats directly without a special player.

Yes, I believe the h.264 you are talking about was for .mov compatible devices, as this is what youtube did for years so their site could be seen by idevices. They made 2 versions of every single video.....including all of their existing ones.. One in flash (standard) and the other for I-devices. Now they have (what is incorrectly referred to as) HTML5 video, which is most likely h.264 since that's the only one that plays in all HTML5 compatible browswers.
    If you do not believe there is an element in HTML5 called Video then you seriously need to do more research.

You are mistaken on how H.264 is delivered on the BBC website, they checked the device and delivered it using the HTML5 Video element. Obviously it isn't the same video content fed to Desktop devices because it's of a lower resolution.

I appreciate your attempts to teach me about HTML5 but it's not required.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by oystersourced; 02-22-15 at 08:52 AM.
    Eumaeus likes this.
    02-22-15 07:28 AM
    buy two phones. You can have 10.2 on one and 10.3.x on the other. I was most critical of 10.3 prerelease at first. But the better battery life + more rows + wanting to be with the latest and greatest won me over. TBH i don't see a problem with either. further more the change from the early builds 10.1 till now seems larger than the change from 10.2.1 to 10.3.x it's just that no one remembers. But back then you had some true native apps with graduation and annimations etc. Flash is a point but it's just not enough of a selling point to hold me back. I have 10.2.1 on my Z10 and 10.3.1 on my Z30. Every once a week i run into please install flash player - And that is not obsolte to me but it's usually news garbage sites and I can live with that
    02-22-15 07:32 AM
    Without informing users?

They made it quite obvious that flash was being removed.

It has been mentioned in interviews, just because they don't announce to the world about dropping flash doesn't mean they didn't inform users.

Uh, yea, it does. if you don't "announce it to the world"......then by definition, "you didn't announce it to the world", also known as not informing users. Wow.

I guess that when you click on the "upgrade" button you should just know that some major functions will actually "downgrade". And that it's up to you to scour the internet for "interviews" that might reveal something that you are not aware of, even though you don't even know what you're looking for.
    02-22-15 07:35 AM
    Uh, yea, it does. if you don't "announce it to the world"......then by definition, "you didn't announce it to the world", also known as not informing users. Wow.

I guess that when you click on the "upgrade" button you should just know that some major functions will actually "downgrade". And that it's up to you to scour the internet for "interviews" that might reveal something that your not aware of, even though you don't even know what you're looking for.
    They could have put it on the update notification.

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    02-22-15 07:39 AM
    1. Flash is missing
    2. Volumen in general is crap, multimedia sound on my z30 was beautiful with this update destroyed, equalizer rather than improve it worse audio
    3. Short wifi range. WTF they do that?
    4. When I'm in browser and listen to music the song is cut over and over and over and over again, is irritating
    5. Operating system change for the better in appearance but in overall functioning worsened, lag everywhere

10.2.1 system is better even 10.3.0

Posted via CB10
    It is unfortunate that you are not as happy about this update as others (including myself) am.
    - Flash in mobile platform is dead, the sooner you accept it the better for you.
    - Not sure why you have volume issues but I don't have a Z30 my device works fine.
    - If your WiFi range is lagging then it may account for your audio choppiness.
    - My legacy device works faster, performs better and while no change is going to win the approval of everyone I will say my 2yr old device is better today than it was when I got it due to the improvements made by BBRY with each OS update thus far.
    I do hope that at some point your issues will be resolved so you have a better experience with 10.3.x going forward.
    Last edited by SnapzGEG; 02-22-15 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
    02-22-15 07:41 AM
    can anyone help me too ? with 10.3.1 i can't use my phone as a hotspot. when ever i try to activate it it says "Regulations in your country prohibits hotspot use". it was working fine and there is no such rule in my Country. Changing region also doesn't help. any solutions ?
    02-22-15 07:41 AM
    If you do not believe there is an element in HTML5 element called Video then you seriously need to do more research.
    I didn't say there is no "element in HTML5 element called video". I said you don't need a special player (which I should have referred to as a plug in....like Flash) to play a video on a web page. Video formats include .flv (flash), mp4 (h.264), .mov (quicktime), etc, etc. HTML is not a video format (thus the letters HTML which should be your first clue) and you can't make a video that is an "HTML5 video". You can make it *compatible* with HTML5. See list: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/..._media_formats

You are mistaken on how H.264 is delivered on the BBC website, they checked the device and delivered it using the HTML5 Video element. Obviously it isn't the same video content fed to Desktop devices because it's of a lower resolution.
    I didn't made any specific claim about how the BBC is doing it, only a guess. Yes, if the browser can support HTML5 it will deliver what ever type of video they've designated as the video element, which in this case seems to be a h.264 video.
    02-22-15 07:49 AM
    1. Flash is missing
    2. Volumen in general is crap, multimedia sound on my z30 was beautiful with this update destroyed, equalizer rather than improve it worse audio
    3. Short wifi range. WTF they do that?
    4. When I'm in browser and listen to music the song is cut over and over and over and over again, is irritating
    5. Operating system change for the better in appearance but in overall functioning worsened, lag everywhere

10.2.1 system is better even 10.3.0

Posted via CB10
    How do you know, if you never updated to 10.3.1??????????????????
    02-22-15 08:05 AM
    can anyone help me too ? with 10.3.1 i can't use my phone as a hotspot. when ever i try to activate it it says "Regulations in your country prohibits hotspot use". it was working fine and there is no such rule in my Country. Changing region also doesn't help. any solutions ?
    What country and carrier?
    02-22-15 08:33 AM
    That's not a "fix". BlackBerry needs to fix it. I shouldn't have to mickey mouse it like that.
    Exactly. I find it amazing that folks are perfectly okay with "rigging" something that worked well with 10.2.X.
    lift and Kosmann like this.
    02-22-15 08:43 AM
    What sounds ridiculous is saying that 12% still in use equals "no longer supported". Not saying that 12% (however this number was actually acquired) isn't accurate, just saying that means that Flash is still in use, and in that 12% is coming from some major traffic web sites with high numbers of users.
    No longer supported for mobile devices. From Adobe in 2011...

"We will no longer continue to develop Flash Player in the browser to work with new*mobile device configurations (chipset, browser, OS version, etc.) following the upcoming release of Flash Player 11.1 for Android and BlackBerry PlayBook."

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ash-focus.html

 Posted via Z10 
    ExplicitPromo and Eumaeus like this.
    02-22-15 08:46 AM
    They could have put it on the update notification.

Posted via CB10
    Agree- they should have done that.

 Posted via Z10 
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    02-22-15 08:49 AM
    I didn't say there is no "element in HTML5 element called video". I said you don't need a special player (which I should have referred to as a plug in....like Flash) to play a video on a web page. Video formats include .flv (flash), mp4 (h.264), .mov (quicktime), etc, etc. HTML is not a video format (thus the letters HTML which should be your first clue) and you can't make a video that is an "HTML5 video". You can make it *compatible* with HTML5. See list: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/..._media_formats

I didn't made any specific claim about how the BBC is doing it, only a guess. Yes, if the browser can support HTML5 it will deliver what ever type of video they've designated as the video element, which in this case seems to be a h.264 video.
    You asked if the BBC was serving the H.264 in a .mov wrapper and I answered 'Nope, HTML5 Video', I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. You don't have to give me a lecture on video encoding and how that differs from container formats or even markup language, I was the one who informed you of their use of H.264.

The HTML5 specification may have only been finalised towards the end of last year but it's mainstream adoption has been going on for years, increasingly so by developers since XHTML2.0 was brought to an end.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 08:51 AM
233 ... 34567 ...