The BBC has been serving Apple devices with H.264 content for over five years, H.264 has been supported by ALL major browsers for a long time. To be fair to The BBC Desktop mode is intended for desktop flash-ready machines, however with mobile devices not locked to mobile sites then perhaps they should add more user checks.

Posted via CB10
    Is the h.264 in a .mov wrapper? If so, that's gonna work for iOS mobile devices and not necessarily others.
    02-21-15 06:05 PM
    Can you even access the BBC desktop site from an iPhone?

The mobile site on my son's iPhone looks just like on my z10. I'm not sure why anyone would want to use the desktop site.

 Posted via Z10 
    02-21-15 06:13 PM
    Flash is dead.

Long live html5, until that's dead.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 06:24 PM
    yep^^^^^^^...LOL
    02-21-15 06:26 PM
    I have nothing against BlackBerry updating and developing the OS, but it should be tested before launch. They already took so long with this update, why they couldn't make sure it will run smoothly?

I'm planning to do my upgrade soon, however I'm not sure anymore if it will be a BlackBerry device. And I'm actually sorry to say this, because I have been a loyal and faithful customer for very, very long time.
    Since BlackBerry is many, many times smaller and has less resources than a company like Apple, I'm willing to cut them some slack since it's only been three days...

From Apple's official site:

Loss of cellular service or ability to use Touch ID after updating to iOS 8.0.1 on iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus - Apple Support

"Loss of cellular service or ability to use Touch ID after updating to iOS 8.0.1 on iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus

iOS 8.0.2 is available now. It fixes the loss of cellular service and use of Touch ID that may have affected you if you have an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus and you downloaded iOS 8.0.1. It includes improvements and bug fixes originally in iOS 8.0.1.

We apologize for inconveniencing you if you were affected by the bug in iOS 8.0.1.

To resolve this issue, update your device to iOS 8.0.2 or later."

Um... loss of cell service, which means no phone usage, and problems with TouchID, which may mean login issues. That's not bad, is it? This was for the flagship devices.

Apple explains its busted iOS 8.0.1 update

"Sure, Apple's already fixed that buggy iOS 8.0.1 update that disconnected devices from their networks and just pretty much broke iPhones for a while. It's even been a month since then, but you still can't let it go until you get an explanation, huh? Well, friends, this is probably the closest thing you'll ever get: apparently, there was nothing wrong with the update itself, and it was Apple's distribution methods or how the update was "wrapped" that broke devices. At Recode's Code/Mobile conference earlier, Apple product marketing executive Greg "Joz" Joswiak said the issue resulted from "the way the software was being sent over servers," though he didn't go into specifics. He also defended his company, claiming that mistakes are inevitable when you're pushing software and that Apple always tries to fix them quickly..."

Pretty much the biggest company in the world isn't immune to mistakes, so why can't smaller companies be allowed the same courtesy?

It's in BlackBerry's best interest to fix the problems as quickly as possible. If this problem extends to months on end, then I see a problem, but for now, I'll wait and see...
    Velocitymj likes this.
    02-21-15 06:36 PM
    How can you compare parachute pants to being able to view half of the internet?

Flash is not even remotely close to being dead. It's used on a lot of websites, mostly for video, and for very good reasons. Thus, it IS needed to see those videos.

Why not just let people continue to be able to see those same web sites and videos that they were able to see yesterday?

Flash is used in less than 12% of websites and dropping. I am tired of sourcing this info with a link as i have done it 3-4 times in the last few weeks but you can google it if you like.

edit: ok changed my mind, here we go AGAIN: http://w3techs.com/technologies/deta...-flash/all/all
    02-21-15 06:41 PM
    Is the h.264 in a .mov wrapper? If so, that's gonna work for iOS mobile devices and not necessarily others.
    Nope, HTML5 Video, they knew Apple didn't support Flash but did support the fledgling HTML5. It wasn't in the BBC's interest to rely on all iPhone users to make use of the BBC app so they had to make sure their site was compatible. Now I've not looked into it but perhaps only iPhone devices get served H264 instead of Flash while in desktop mode (it would have made sense five years ago that's for sure).

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 07:11 PM
    I have had the exact opposite result as OP as have many others so I can only assume OP is doing something very wrong with updating. If flash keeps you on an outdated version then eventually you just won't be using mobile phones at all. Flash is dead. I understand anyone can come up with 100 reasons why it isn't, but it is. If your bank is using flash, it's insecure, if your mobile app for your bank has limited features then I would suggest pestering them to make changes or use a bank that isn't putting your information at risk.

My volume settings, battery and radio / wifi are all stronger than they were with 10.2.1.
    02-21-15 08:49 PM
    Actually, 10.3.1.2267 has been the best BBOS since I've had my Z30. I updated it via autoloader as a clean install. No glitches like those mentioned here, and I could care less about flash (it's just dying a slow death).

Z30 STA 100-3 /10.3.1.2267
    02-21-15 09:04 PM
    I cheat.
    I find all the notifications that I use on the phone. I download them to my PC. I use a free program called Audacity and I adjust the volume on them...including my ringtone.
    Then I put them back in the folder where they belong.
    Problem solved.
    That's not a "fix". BlackBerry needs to fix it. I shouldn't have to mickey mouse it like that.
    KermEd and fkornre like this.
    02-21-15 09:24 PM
    Correct. I want to use desktop mode which worked perfectly 2 days ago. I dislike the mobile site (and most mobile sites).

Posted via CB10
    BBC desktop mode videos are working fine on my Z10 10.3. So far I got no bugs that others said they have. Same goes for all my personalized notifications which at 70% is rather loud already.
    02-21-15 09:56 PM
    BBC desktop mode videos are working fine on my Z10 10.3. So far I got no bugs that others said they have. Same goes for all my personalized notifications which at 70% is rather loud already.
    Are you running 10.3 or 10.3.1?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 10:00 PM
    Are you running 10.3 or 10.3.1?

Posted via CB10
    Official 10.3.1.1565 release.
    02-21-15 10:09 PM
    You mean these parachute pants?

Attachment 335668

Posted via CB10
    Those are from the 90s! These are from the 80s:

Why I never will update to 10.3.1-cc00a16b1a0b71682dc3da201f388837.jpg
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    02-21-15 10:24 PM
    Just an Fyi The problems are with 10.3.1 not 10.3.

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    02-21-15 10:35 PM
    Flash is used in less than 12% of websites and dropping. I am tired of sourcing this info with a link as i have done it 3-4 times in the last few weeks but you can google it if you like.

edit: ok changed my mind, here we go AGAIN: http://w3techs.com/technologies/deta...-flash/all/all
    That's a much bigger market share than BB10. If your dropping everything based on adoption levels.

#justsayin

02-21-15 10:36 PM
    Just an Fyi The problems are with 10.3.1 not 10.3.

FYI .... I stated that in post #88.
    02-21-15 10:39 PM
    For me and my Z10, 10.3.0.x was buggy compared to 10.2.1.x, but 10.3.1.1949 and newer are better. No way I'd roll back.

As for Flash, it's dead on -ALL- mobile devices. Cry, whine and snivel all you want if it makes you feel better, however, I'd bet it isn't coming back.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.1.2072
    02-21-15 11:10 PM
    Ain't this Flash ranting never going to end *sigh*. Also - half of the internet - loooool :-D!! I mean with Flash being phased out by Adobe and all that , but you probably know that, right? It has been mentioned a million times now I guess. And there's also the fact that Adobe Flash is just the worst when it comes to security and all that. But who am I to think that BlackBerry actually cares about security...Despite the fact that you seem to be 100 percent convinced of it's importance - Flash is (almost) done ;-). Also I love 10.3.1 on my Q5. No problems so far besides the usual getting used to it <3.

Posted via CB10
    This is an untruth. Adobe only killed the development of the Flash plugin for MOBILE browsers. They have stated again and again they have no intention of ending desktop Flash support for the foreseeable future.
    02-21-15 11:14 PM
    This is an untruth. Adobe only killed the development of the Flash plugin for MOBILE browsers. They have stated again and again they have no intention of ending desktop Flash support for the foreseeable future.
    IMO this means website owners that prefer to deploy Flash content don't give a rip about mobile viewers.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.1.2072
    02-21-15 11:42 PM
    How can you compare parachute pants to being able to view half of the internet?

Flash is not even remotely close to being dead. It's used on a lot of websites, mostly for video, and for very good reasons. Thus, it IS needed to see those videos.

Why not just let people continue to be able to see those same web sites and videos that they were able to see yesterday?
    Very few websites still use mobile flash.

In no way is it half the Internet, and your making it sound like all other devices have flash and only BlackBerry doesn't.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    Eumaeus likes this.
    02-21-15 11:56 PM
    Very few websites still use mobile flash.

In no way is it half the Internet, and your making it sound like all other devices have flash and only BlackBerry doesn't.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    Actually I read about that 12 percent still use Flash, and quite a few of my devices allow flash my from Android devices to my Pro, to my gp2xwiz (fun toy fyi). Not saying they should, but they do

Considering BB10 is... what 1 percent of the phone market? ...maybe they shouldn't be using that as a cutoff value for what to support, especially when it's already there and working.

I see *that* counting against them while bartering with Netflix and SnapChat, etc.

02-22-15 12:33 AM
    I have been reading with wonder how a lot of people have been posting all over the forums about the latest 10.3.1 update being a dud. While a feel the pains of people with complains, i still believe a lot of complainers are just too impatient.
    Given some time, i believe the issues will get sorted out either as the OS settles in the phone after update or as BlackBerry releases another update soon to right the wrongs.
    Apple, with all the money and resources had a worse update roll-out and i don't need to tell you about andoid L. These things happen and will continue to happen for now until technology advances a bit further.
    I just finished updating my shop blackberry delivered Z30 via sachesi and i have no issues at all. I didn't get the update here in Nigeria so i downloaded the file from Bell Canada.....its working FLAWLESSLY.
    I still wouldn't complain even if i had issues, knowing that the chances of everybody having a perfect update is impossible (i think). I just recommend that people should be a bit patient and lower their expectations. I feel your pains.
    02-22-15 12:38 AM
    Tell me about
    Notification volume fix
    Mine is so low even when playing music
    I was running Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1152 and works fine
    After I did d ota to Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2243
    Every sound became low

Posted via CB10 on zedicus zee Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1154
    02-22-15 12:47 AM
    Tell me about
    Notification volume fix
    Mine is so low even when playing music
    I was running Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1152 and works fine
    After I did d ota to Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2243
    Every sound became low

Posted via CB10 on zedicus zee Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1154
    I'd look for the threads other people have opened on it and the steps they followed. I highly doubt jumping into a thread about Flash will help at all.

02-22-15 01:04 AM
233 ... 23456 ...