This is not surprising at all and while it is no scare tactic, how many people will fall victim to this function before buying a BlackBerry device?
    BBC News - Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner hacked with glue mould
    04-16-14 11:07 PM
    This is not surprising at all and while it is no scare tactic, how many people will fall victim to this function before buying a BlackBerry device?

BlackBerry is not "perfect" in regards to security themselves, but I agree that fingerprint scanners on smartphones are not the magical security feature that they are often touted to be.

Then again, I think the "Heartbleed bug" is a vastly more important security problem right now than fingerprint scanners that could be compromised with great effort.

Trend Micro recently scanned through Google Play and found 7,000 apps that are affected by Heartbleed - either because they implemented the insecure protocol themselves or because they internally connect to vulnerable endpoints that could end up compromising private/confidential user data.
    04-16-14 11:14 PM
    I do not think that kind of mould is available for everyone and the way they gain access to that seems sophisticated, and by the time the person that targets you do have access to that, you have a bigger concern, namely: who the f**k did you **** off? And how pissed off are they?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    04-17-14 02:28 AM
    It's human nature to read a sensational story about a security flaw and to then praise their own platform for being "secure" even if it's not really related / applicable to the situation

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 02:42 AM
    It's human nature to read a sensational story about a security flaw and to then praise their own platform for being "secure" even if it's not really related / applicable to the situation

If it were "human nature" then everyone would be doing it, including you and I.

BlackBerry has a justifiably good reputation for security, but I would not consider it "stellar" by today's standards.

The company's perennial bumbling and lack of execution don't help.

John Chen seems to be improving some of those things, but it's too early to say for sure.
    04-17-14 03:15 AM
    This is one of the reasons why I love my BlackBerrys...

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 04:29 AM
    04-17-14 04:54 AM
    [QUOTE=Omnitech;10252330]BlackBerry has a justifiably good reputation for security, but I would not consider it "stellar" by today's standards./QUOTE]

If they are not stellar, then I would be afraid what you think of iOS and Android.
    04-17-14 05:43 AM