I just feel as though this is a big crutch for the general public these days, if BlackBerry had proper app support they would not only be able to keep existing customers but also have a better chance at attracting more. I assume BlackBerry wants to try and tap into the main stream at least a little bit and this is one subject that holds that idea back.

From what I understand BlackBerry has a lot of 'cash' so why not try and invest some of that to try and better persuade apps/companies to support bb10. Just a thought.

I understand BB10 is mainly for the businesses oriented hence why I decided to go with a passport from the priv. But for the future and strength of BlackBerry I think this is a subject they should definitely consider investing in.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 12:59 AM
    In the beginning of BlackBerry 10 ,they tried already it didn't work
    06-03-16 01:09 AM
    They need the big apps to step forward and the rest will follow, when you have Facebook, Insta and snap chat missing, not very encouraging for the other devs.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    enrod87 and moyah8 like this.
    06-03-16 01:12 AM
    They need the big apps to step forward and the rest will follow, when you have Facebook, Insta and snap chat missing, not very encouraging for the other devs.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    And back when BB10 released it was Netflix, Skype, etc... BlackBerry 10 was lacking then, it's lacking now, it's not going to get any better.

If BlackBerry made its own apps without permission those companies would sue them out of business. Big companies tread thin ice when it comes to intellectual property.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    to boldly go likes this.
    06-03-16 05:38 AM
    In the beginning of BlackBerry 10 ,they tried already it didn't work
    Actually they didn't. They didn't offer what they needed to offer, otherwise they would have the apps.
    anon(4295315) likes this.
    06-03-16 06:23 AM
    They also spend lot of $$ on really bad marketing . They gave developers DEV Alpha devices but they should add some languages support in SDK.
    06-03-16 06:45 AM
    They also spend lot of $$ on really bad marketing . They gave developers DEV Alpha devices but they should add some languages support in SDK.
    What language support did you want? Native apps have multiple language support.
    06-03-16 07:10 AM
    And back when BB10 released it was Netflix, Skype, etc... BlackBerry 10 was lacking then, it's lacking now, it's not going to get any better.

If BlackBerry made its own apps without permission those companies would sue them out of business. Big companies tread thin ice when it comes to intellectual property.
    The 'thin ice' problem of throwing BlackBerry and android in the same pot and stirring it up, you get the Goldilocks Syndrome:
    ~~~There's too much android in my BlackBerry! or
    ~~~There's not enough apps-just-exactly-like-android in my BlackBerry!

Well, BlackBerry didn't start out trying to be just like android, and android apps for the most part require permissions that are the anti thesis of BlackBerry. It's not good enough to build high quality secure devices that do what you want to do with nothing going on in the background, to humbly continue to sell the devices at ever-lowering prices due to market perception, it's kind of being caught between a rock and a hard place, so they need to put their money where their money is making money.

I'm just grateful, like most lovers of BlackBerry, that they have NOT thrown in the towel yet on BB10.

Only if perceptions change and sales pick up will apps for BlackBerry that are not there start to come back. The apps not there don't affect me. What we need is more advertising that shows people what is so good about BlackBerry, how it IS secure, how it IS NOT buggy, how it IS simpler and easier to use, fun to have, and made of high quality sleek looking stuff. its no longer about keyboard vs nonkeyboard, you have lots of choices in both.

the main reason I still believe it will make a comeback is people DO care about their privacy and security and many more would switch over to BlackBerry once they realize it IS still here. The mania to buy the newest phone which somehow has to be Even Better than the Old perfectly good phone Every Siingle Year, well, it's fading as people start to realize they've been bamboozled. I love the BB Bold resurgence thread, the Bold is the new Flip-Phone, when you find out you can have more than a flip phone.

Ads showing BlackBerry playng side by side with apples or the droid of the day could be the most effective. I still hope.
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 06-03-16 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Filter evasion
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-03-16 08:10 AM
    Sorry i mean more frameworks not languages.
    06-03-16 08:28 AM
    Lithuanian?

*ME173X
    06-03-16 08:36 AM
    The 'thin ice' problem of throwing BlackBerry and android in the same pot and stirring it up, you get the Goldilocks Syndrome:
    ~~~There's too much android in my BlackBerry! or
    ~~~There's not enough apps-just-exactly-like-android in my BlackBerry!

Well, BlackBerry didn't start out trying to be just like android, and android apps for the most part require permissions that are the anti thesis of BlackBerry. It's not good enough to build high quality secure devices that do what you want to do with nothing going on in the background, to humbly continue to sell the devices at ever-lowering prices due to market perception, it's kind of being caught between a rock and a hard place, so they need to put their money where their money is making money.

I'm just grateful, like most lovers of BlackBerry, that they have NOT thrown in the towel yet on BB10.

Only if perceptions change and sales pick up will apps for BlackBerry that are not there start to come back. The apps not there don't affect me. What we need is more advertising that shows people what is so good about BlackBerry, how it IS secure, how it IS NOT buggy, how it IS simpler and easier to use, fun to have, and made of high quality sleek looking stuff. its no longer about keyboard vs nonkeyboard, you have lots of choices in both.

the main reason I still believe it will make a comeback is people DO care about their privacy and security and many more would switch over to BlackBerry once they realize it IS still here. The mania to buy the newest phone which somehow has to be Even Better than the Old perfectly good phone Every Siingle Year, well, it's fading as people start to realize they've been bamboozled. I love the BB Bold resurgence thread, the Bold is the new Flip-Phone, when you find out you can have more than a flip phone.

Ads showing BlackBerry playng side by side with apples or the droid of the day could be the most effective. I still hope.
    It's not just features or throwing money in adds. It's public perception. Image is everything.

Look at what GM is trying to do with the Oldsmobile brand. You see the commercial with two young girls outside a club. A Olds drives up with a young well dressed man gets out. One girl says. That's an Oldsmobile, the other replies, my grandfather drives and Olds, with the quick reply back. That's not your grandfather. Both girls look at the guy and the car.

Samsung did this a few years ago vs apple. They showed all the older parents trying to be "cool" with their iPhone. All the kids had a galaxy phone. Saying I phones are yesterday news.

Image... they need to yes have the product ready to sell. They need to have front line sales reps know the product with sales incentives. They need an image consultant to make people look at BlackBerry as somehow everyone wants not just wall Street bankers...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 06-03-16 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Edited quote
    06-03-16 08:52 AM
    Paying developers at this point is not going to help. We want users.

What would help is if BB could show how you can build some new apps on BB10 that you simply can't build today on iOS or Android. That would get everyone's attention, in the same way that Apple did in 2008.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    06-03-16 09:03 AM
    What would help is if BB could show how you can build some new apps on BB10 that you simply can't build today on iOS or Android. That would get everyone's attention, in the same way that Apple did in 2008.
    Is Qt4 still kicking on mobile or is BlackBerry the only one left?

Everything else has Qt and Cordova, so...
    06-03-16 09:28 AM
    It's not just features or throwing money in adds. It's public perception. Image is everything.

Look at what GM is trying to do with the Oldsmobile brand. You see the commercial with two young girls outside a club. A Olds drives up with a young well dressed man gets out. One girl says. That's an Oldsmobile, the other replies, my grandfather drives and Olds, with the quick reply back. That's not your grandfather. Both girls look at the guy and the car.

Samsung did this a few years ago vs apple. They showed all the older parents trying to be "cool" with their iPhone. All the kids had a galaxy phone. Saying I phones are yesterday news.

Image... they need to yes have the product ready to sell. They need to have front line sales reps know the product with sales incentives. They need an image consultant to make people look at BlackBerry as somehow everyone wants not just wall Street bankers...

Posted via CB10
    You just used OLDSMOBILE as an example???? Post of the week!

06-03-16 09:50 AM
    Sorry i mean more frameworks not languages.
    What frameworks were you looking for?
    06-03-16 09:55 AM

Thanks. I guess.. lol..

Point is.. public perception of Oldsmobile is the same s BlackBerry. Olds is your grandfather's car.. BlackBerry is your fathers.. needs the change.

Even McDonalds is trying to change their public perception by re branding as Mc Cafe... they have shed the old yellow chairs and clown and gone towards the the darker Coffee shop look with fireplace and custom ordering.

As much as I hate iPhone as a device, apples commercials are excellent. The new cookie monster commercial is funny. Relates to both the young and old generations.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 10:34 AM
    Is Qt4 still kicking on mobile or is BlackBerry the only one left?
    Good question. I don't know.
    06-03-16 10:43 AM
    But what's stopping BlackBerry to going to a company like SnapChat and saying 'we'll pay you this much per month or lump sum for access to your apps' and the BlackBerry development could take it from there. That would seem like a good move to me?

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 11:10 AM
    But what's stopping BlackBerry to going to a company like SnapChat and saying 'we'll pay you this much per month or lump sum for access to your apps' and the BlackBerry development could take it from there. That would seem like a good move to me?

Posted via CB10
    Whatever BlackBerry can offer won't be worth it to snapchat. Also BlackBerry has fired all of their BB10 developers. There's nobody left to build the apps.

Plus, I don't think BlackBerry has a whole lot of cash sitting around these days. They've been pretty consistently losing money over the years.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 11:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    To late now, BB10 is done. Blackberry has chosen Android for app support. Nothing is going to change that. Use you BB10 devices for as long as you can but don't expect anything you don't currently have.
    06-03-16 11:45 AM

I think he meant Buick
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    06-03-16 12:28 PM
    That's not SnapChat's business. So what you are suggesting may be a good idea for BB, but SnapChat doesn't care. Any executive at SnapChat worth his/her salt would ask "wait, how many users are we talking about here? And don't all your new phones run Android anyway?"

For SnapChat to support third party developers would cost them money, but it would also cost them focus. That's why companies are consolidating on iOS and Android so they can focus their time and effort towards 97-99% of their users and addressable market.
    Ronindan likes this.
    06-03-16 12:46 PM
    the main reason I still believe it will make a comeback is people DO care about their privacy and security.
    Facebook has over 1.5 billion users with a very high number being regular users.

People care about privacy? Not if they're on Facebook or using data mining Google services.

How much have you paid Google or Facebook for their services? People don't have to because they give them something more valuable, their personal information.

Unfortunately people don't put their money where their mouths are when it comes to security and as much as I'd love to see a BlackBerry 10 comeback, it's not going to happen.

I'd love to be wrong, and if people are that confident, pick up some BBRY and watch it fly.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 01:12 PM
    That's not SnapChat's business. So what you are suggesting may be a good idea for BB, but SnapChat doesn't care. Any executive at SnapChat worth his/her salt would ask "wait, how many users are we talking about here? And don't all your new phones run Android anyway?"

For SnapChat to support third party developers would cost them money, but it would also cost them focus. That's why companies are consolidating on iOS and Android so they can focus their time and effort towards 97-99% of their users and addressable market.
    Yeah that makes sense, I would just figure if we put the cash up front, it would make it worth their while to at least allow access, and have developers whether independent or from BlackBerry take it from there. That's what I'd be doing if I were Chen.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 01:28 PM
    Yeah that makes sense, I would just figure if we put the cash up front, it would make it worth their while to at least allow access, and have developers whether independent or from BlackBerry take it from there. That's what I'd be doing if I were Chen.
    They did try that early, btw. I work for a top 5 bank. They wanted our app. They offered us money and phones, as did Microsoft.

They (BB and Microsoft) missed the point. We make money when people deposit their money with us and when they use our cards and borrow money from us. That's our focus as a business, not trying to pick up a few extra users on the side by getting some other company to subsidize that support for us. SnapChat, similarly, is singularly focused on growing their network. That's their business. Anything else is a waste of time.

Again, if Chen walked in here and pitched this idea, any of us would point out that our app works perfectly fine on the Priv and the other new phones in Chen's pipeline.
    06-03-16 01:41 PM
50 12