Since they are basically fighting for 3rd place, how are BB getting away with using an android runtime and maybe even including the Play Store?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 07:40 PM
    Huh?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 07:41 PM
    Huh?

Posted via CB10
    He's wondering how they got the rights to include Android run time on BB10 OS when they are competing against Android.
    11-11-13 07:47 PM
    Last time I checked Android was #1 and Windows and BlackBerry were fighting for third... Where did you get your information from?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 07:48 PM
    Since they are basically fighting for 3rd place, how are BB getting away with using an android runtime and maybe even including the Play Store?
    BlackBerry was able to build their Android runtime from the open source components of Android.

Google's services and Google Play are not part of the core Android OS. These services are owned and operated by Google and are only available on certified Android phones.
    11-11-13 07:52 PM
    BlackBerry was able to build their Android runtime from the open source components of Android.

Google's services and Google Play are not part of the core Android OS. These services are owned and operated by Google and are only available on certified Android phones.
    ^THIS!

From my Z10 to YOU, BOO-YAH!
    11-11-13 09:26 PM

I see. So any of the rumours about it coming to bb are false?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 04:21 PM
    Android is open source, everyone can use it

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 04:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes.
    Android is open source, Google apps within Android are locked down. Keyboard, Calendar, Store, etc.
    11-12-13 04:45 PM
    Not sure what you mean about it coming to Blackberry are false. There are rumours that Blackberry are in talks though. Google app store make apps, phone manufacturers decide which app ecosystem to supply with their phone. Most use google except for obviously apple. Samsung not so long ago were thinking of ditching Google and using their own app store so they weren't as reliant on google and had more control. Blackberry have app world and I believe apple even have something that will play Android apps.
    Google make the apps and maintain it, that's where they make their money from so the more people that can use the apps the better as far as they are concerned. Android is open source meaning that anyone can take the core files and modify it anyway they want to suit their needs and build it into their own OS. Blackberry, Kindle etc have all done this.

The Rumour is from what I gather whether or not Blackberry should ditch their own BB World and just use Google. That way they could save a lot of money and have more apps available, the down side being they would also have to ditch their very secure, stable os as well. At the moment they allow android apps to run in a partitioned off part of the the phone that has a scaled down virtual android os in, hence the mixed results when loading apps.

So the answer I guess is its already here but are the rumours to ditch the blackberry os true.
    11-12-13 04:47 PM
    11-12-13 06:16 PM
    No, I know nothing about the veracity of the rumors. I'm just saying that if BlackBerry is bringing the not open Google services to BB10, then it would have to be with Google's cooperation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-12-13 06:29 PM