Ok, I know some of you tech heads and vastly more intelligent people than I will soon shoot me down, but as a Vodafone UK customer who's is becoming increasingly frustrated by the day due to their apparent reluctance to engage with 10.2.1, why oh why do BlackBerry insist on letting the carriers dictate when they eventually push the updates out? These are BlackBerry handsets designed to use the software that BlackBerry work so hard to release. I'm sure Apple customers don't have the same delaying tactics from carriers!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:46 AM
    Ok, I know some of you tech heads and vastly more intelligent people than I will soon shoot me down, but as a Vodafone UK customer who's is becoming increasingly frustrated by the day due to their apparent reluctance to engage with 10.2.1, why oh why do BlackBerry insist on letting the carriers dictate when they eventually push the updates out? These are BlackBerry handsets designed to use the software that BlackBerry work so hard to release. I'm sure Apple customers don't have the same delaying tactics from carriers!

Posted via CB10
    The carriers have certain things they like to test for, and the time they can take to integrate bloat ware and other such things. BlackBerry doesn't currently have the horsepower to dictate to carriers right now, either.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-01-14 02:49 AM
    It is soooooooooooo frustrating, I am in South Africa using CellC as my network carrier, they released 10.2.1 yesterday (that's about 4 days after their rivals Vodacom and MTN) released it! It was so annoying to see my friends playing around with the new OS while i'm waiting for my carrier to push it thru!!! So frustrating because I am sure these devices have the capability to receive the OS directly from Blackberry servers, I don't think with BB10 carriers still have to "test" the OS on their network like they did with BBOS 7 and below. But i'm no tech guru, I stand to be corrected.

Posted on a sexy QTEN
    TheNoseybonk likes this.
    02-01-14 02:52 AM
    The carriers have certain things they like to test for, and the time they can take to integrate bloat ware and other such things. BlackBerry doesn't currently have the horsepower to dictate to carriers right now, either.
    I get that, but surely the carriers have more than enough of a heads up prior to official release by the manufacturers?? This release was huge for BlackBerry 10 owners. What is even more frustrating is Vodafone's perceived 'silence' and their lack of clarity around the update but that's another story I guess.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:53 AM
    I get that, but surely the carriers have more than enough of a heads up prior to official release by the manufacturers?? This release was huge for BlackBerry 10 owners. What is even more frustrating is Vodafone's perceived 'silence' and their lack of clarity around the update but that's another story I guess.

Posted via CB10
    Canadian carriers all seem to be able to get the updates out on the same, presumably first, day. Other carriers around the world also seem to be able to do that. I think you need to have this conversation with your carrier.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 08:40 AM
    Simple answer..... The OS runs on their networks and they need to approve it and push it out. Apple has the clout to give them the OS, tell them the day they are releasing it, and say be ready or not. BlackBerry doesn't make them the money Apple does so doesn't have the power to "tell" them what to do.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-01-14 08:51 AM
    Like I mentioned in another thread, my opinion is that BlackBerry is starting to go that route already. A few of the more minor apps have already shown up in app world. If all the apps show there then the carrier need only concern themselves with the radio stack and as the core files are separate BlackBerry can keep updating at their pace.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of concern to you.
    02-01-14 09:10 AM
    Canadian carriers all seem to be able to get the updates out on the same, presumably first, day. Other carriers around the world also seem to be able to do that. I think you need to have this conversation with your carrier.

Posted via CB10
    Richard believe me I understand your concerns but no matter what conversation BlackBerry has with the carriers these carriers don't care. First, like mentioned before BlackBerry unfortunately does not have a leg to stand on right now. These carriers know this so they don't really push anything that is BlackBerry. Actually,I have a strong assumption that most if not all carriers here in the U.S. have come together and conspired against BlackBerry. Just not cost effective for them like iphones and Andriod devices. If ONLY all iPhone users knew that the U.S. Government has the means to turn on their iphones camaera and microphone as well as the information on customers phones. Maybe, if all customers knew this then they would not be so excited about having one. What I just explained is a fact and it was also televised in the news media here for what that is worth. Second, the carriers just simply don't care. When you contact them they tell you what they want you to tell you that is why they send the customers in circles or simply are just vague. Here in the U.S. I am still waiting on initial release of 10.2.0 so I don't even know if we will get 10.2.1. No you would think because Canada is our neighbor and many like myself are loyal to BlackBerry that something would have been done to resolve this issue considering BlackBerry really wants and needs this market. Bottom line Richard you are not alone try and be patient that is what I have been told. Or just consider another platform as much as it hurts me to write this. Since BlackBerry is doing so much with Andriod these days maybe that might be an option. Good luck bud

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by privateeyes; 02-03-14 at 09:02 AM.
    02-01-14 09:16 AM
    There is always leaks if the carrier slacks.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of concern to you.
    02-01-14 09:30 AM
    Richard believe me I understand your concerns but no matter what conversation BlackBerry has with the carriers these carriers don't care.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not concerned. I'm in Canada and got the update the first day. Believe me BlackBerry wants you to have rapid access to updates. Especially the SIRT team.

The users need to have the conversion with the carriers, and be prepared to move if they don't get the service they want. It is a complex issue, and update speed isn't the only concern, but if subscribers aren't willing to vote with their dollars, then the carriers are correct in believing that they don't have to work to get the updates out.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 10:48 AM
    I'm not concerned. I'm in Canada and got the update the first day. Believe me BlackBerry wants you to have rapid access to updates. Especially the SIRT team.

The users need to have the conversion with the carriers, and be prepared to move if they don't get the service they want. It is a complex issue, and update speed isn't the only concern, but if subscribers aren't willing to vote with their dollars, then the carriers are correct in believing that they don't have to work to get the updates out.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed that is why all my phones will be directly from BlackBerry from now on.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 09:04 AM
    No phone manufacturer has bypassed the carrier process. Only one has.
    02-03-14 09:25 AM
    BlackBerry lost its touch with the market along with the carriers. That is bad because BB10 devices and OS is very powerful.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 09:29 AM
    Maybe it runs through the carrier because 95% of people that have issues after an update CALL their carrier for support.
    02-03-14 10:26 AM
    Why do BlackBerry rely on carriers??-img_20140203_100744.png

This is the current BlackBerry homepage...why isn't it as easy as just downloading the file straight from them or via Link? I remember seeing this same ad a few weeks ago prior to installing 10.2.1 on my Q via Sachesi because I was tired of waiting for AT&T but sure enough when I searched for an update I was told "your OS is up to date"?? It seems like they could allow the carriers to push updates OTA on their own timeframes to anybody who doesn't care to have the latest OS but also provide it directly and immediately for any user that wants to actively search it out and download it.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 11:13 AM
    It is soooooooooooo frustrating, I am in South Africa using CellC as my network carrier, they released 10.2.1 yesterday (that's about 4 days after their rivals Vodacom and MTN) released it! It was so annoying to see my friends playing around with the new OS while i'm waiting for my carrier to push it thru!!! So frustrating because I am sure these devices have the capability to receive the OS directly from Blackberry servers, I don't think with BB10 carriers still have to "test" the OS on their network like they did with BBOS 7 and below. But i'm no tech guru, I stand to be corrected.

Posted on a sexy QTEN
    But at least you are supporting the Sharks!

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 12:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Carriers don't have to carry BlackBerry Phones!

Posted via Verizon Z30
    02-03-14 12:54 PM
    02-03-14 01:01 PM
    Second, the carriers just simply don't care.
    The carriers really don't seem to care, so I think it's really up to BlackBerry to solve the problem. People keep mentioning that Apple is only able to do it because of the power they have, but people seem to forget that the iPhone wasn't always this popular. IMO it was because Steve Jobs was brave and wise enough to insist that Apple controlled OS upgrades because it would be better for the user experience. Apple generally does like doing everything themselves as much as possible. IMO most of the time it does make for a better user experience when they don't rely on third parties.

In the early days Apple didn't have much power. Only one USA carrier was willing to sell the iPhone at the time, so I don't think Blackberry's lack of power over the carriers is a good excuse to not give OS updates directly to the user. Jobs fought for good user experience instead of backing down. I think he made the right choice. Customers do notice which companies care about having good user experiences with the their products especially if the companies are willing to fight for the customer.

I believe Samsung and Android as a whole is powerful enough to insist on direct OS updates but they choose not to fight carriers. IMO BlackBerry shouldn't be overly concerned about quickly gaining market share. Instead I believe they should focus on providing quality products that offer very good user experiences. As more customers notice the good experience, the more they will naturally gain market share. I believe that is what has made Apple so popular.
    02-03-14 02:12 PM
    I think things are slowly moving in the right direction.
    Two years ago almost every phone had the fm radio chip but the carriers removed or asked for FM to be removed to encourage radio streaming which could lead to high data charges.
    Fm radio is becoming a common feature again, latest update to bb10 adds it. It should have been there all along.
    02-03-14 04:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, but I can't even not choose another carriere. Because non of them hasn't pushed the new OS out yet here in Denmark. Else I would move immediately.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 03:10 AM