On both of my old Torch devices, the built in ability to use the device as a hotspot worked great, without having to fight with AT&T. Have an unlimited data plan and want/need the built in hotspot function to work, but dont want to downgrade from unlimited to 5GB.
    My Z10 has been great except for the lack of this one function.

Will Blackberry ever enable the bypass again?

I really don't want to put a limit on my data but I may have to wind up swapping back to the samsung phone that I had to buy for work.

Posted via my Z10 running 10.3.1.2072 quite seamlessly on AT&T
    02-22-15 02:14 PM
    How were you able to bypass it on the Torch?

I couldn't on mine, and still can't on the Z10.

AT&T imposes this lock out through their network system.

Supposedly, it can be done through the escreen, but I'm not patient enough to go through that process.

Besides, if AT&T senses that you've enabled the hotspot feature, they will dock you and change your plan on you.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 02:44 PM
    How were you able to bypass it on the Torch?

I couldn't on mine, and still can't on the Z10.

AT&T imposes this lock out through their network system.

Supposedly, it can be done through the escreen, but I'm not patient enough to go through that process.

Besides, if AT&T senses that you've enabled the hotspot feature, they will dock you and change your plan on you.

Posted via CB10
    This is why I don't bother trying either. I've never been able to get it to work on any of the older BB phones so stopped bothering to attempt it. I also don't want to loose my unlimited plan.
    02-22-15 03:45 PM
    Is this an AT&T specific limitation? Just asking because that feature is operable on my Koodo Canada Z10. ????

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 06:25 PM
    Is this an AT&T specific limitation? Just asking because that feature is operable on my Koodo Canada Z10. ????

Posted via CB10
    It is a carrier defined option. AT&T blocks users with the legacy unlimited plan from using their device as a hot spot, and also from using BBM video over the air. They are trying to force people to a data rate plan.

I held out for a long time, but then I realized the 10GB plan would be more than enough for my wife and I who combined used ~2GB a month combined because we have WiFi. Since moving to 10GB, I have tried to push the limit and asked the wife to do so as well, and the best we did was close to 5GB a month.

My advice is to move to a data rate plan if it is cheaper and you will be well under the limit, as now they have monthly roll over to provide more of a buffer. Yes they are "winning" by getting you to change, but it isn't so bad if you get a better rate on a data rate plan with plenty of room.

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    02-22-15 06:49 PM
    It is a carrier defined option. AT&T blocks users with the legacy unlimited plan from using their device as a hot spot, and also from using BBM video over the air. They are trying to force people to a data rate plan.

I held out for a long time, but then I realized the 10GB plan would be more than enough for my wife and I who combined used ~2GB a month combined because we have WiFi. Since moving to 10GB, I have tried to push the limit and asked the wife to do so as well, and the best we did was close to 5GB a month.

My advice is to move to a data rate plan if it is cheaper and you will be well under the limit, as now they have monthly roll over to provide more of a buffer. Yes they are "winning" by getting you to change, but it isn't so bad if you get a better rate on a data rate plan with plenty of room.

Actually we can do BBM video/chat over the network now for over a year now. - at least I can.
    02-22-15 08:38 PM
    No. AT&T removed their block of using the BBM Video Chat feature OTA. It has been working fine for me for over a year.

When I had my Torch devices I didnt do anything special, other than install updates. The hotspot feature worked until I changed to a BB10 device.

02-23-15 08:13 AM
    Sorry. But my Z10 works as a hot spot.

Yours must be set up differently,

What problems are you having?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 09:26 AM
    Actually we can do BBM video/chat over the network now for over a year now. - at least I can.
    I upgraded just over a year ago. Good to know they lifted that silly restriction.

I still recommend folks look at how much data they are actually using and see if a new data plan would more than cover it and still possibly be cheaper.

02-23-15 07:09 PM
    Sorry. But my Z10 works as a hot spot.

Yours must be set up differently,

What problems are you having?

Posted via CB10

Um, my hotspot & tether will work if I give up my unlimited plan and downgrade to a 5gb plan.

02-24-15 08:19 AM
    So it doesn't work with z10, but it does work with samsung?

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 08:24 AM
    So it doesn't work with z10, but it does work with samsung?

Posted via CB10
    No. It has nothing to do with the Z10.

It has everything to do with AT&T and the kind of data plan you have. First, it was you had to pay extra to be able to tether a device to your phone (use your phone as a "modem" for Internet access for, say, a laptop connected to the phone with a USB cable). Then, you had to pay extra for hotspot capability. Once they started the tiered data plans, they would give you hotspot capability as part of a family data plan.

But, those of us still on the grandfathered unlimited data plans still do not get hotspot (or tethering, for that matter).

If I try to set it up on my Z10, I get the following message...

Why cant we use built in hotspot like we could on BB7?-img_20150224_094201.png

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 09:42 AM