The title of this thread says it all.

We got a brand new Passport last week to replace a Z30. It's quite disappointing that there is no way to save the BBM chats from the old z30 so they appear on the new Passport.

I expected this would be an issue based on reading here on CB. So, before setting up the Passport, I contacted BlackBerry's 1-800 help service for the Passport and was quite surprised when they confirmed this is the way it is "supposed" to work. Grrrr...

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 01:11 PM
    Yeah, It's quite annoying.
    10-27-14 01:36 PM
    Agreed -- this is annoying. One of my very few grievances with BBM.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    10-27-14 01:36 PM
    I agree, love the pre OS way of saving chats on the sd card. This new version sucks in my opinion.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    10-27-14 02:53 PM
    I am disappointed, too. Especially this doesn't work even with a device switch via BlackBerry Link.

On the other hand, whatsapp could restore message history from the cloud.
    10-28-14 10:43 AM
    I don't know.

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Z3 running BlackBerry 10 - 2BBEAACF
    10-28-14 11:16 AM
    Actually I switched from my Z10 to Z30 and preserved all my BBM chats... well that was my impression. Did you guys use BlackBerry Link?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 11:18 AM
    Because Jeff Gadway is too busy running after snapchat and making sure stickers work.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 12:06 PM
    Actually I switched from my Z10 to Z30 and preserved all my BBM chats... well that was my impression. Did you guys use BlackBerry Link?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I used BlackBerry link and chose transfer all supported data and apps. I think only the chat in group is restored from the cloud but not those 1 to 1 chat.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 12:27 PM
    All chats r restored if u back up and blackberry link and den restore after the switch --- every chat is restored

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 02:28 PM
    All chats r restored if u back up and blackberry link and den restore after the switch --- every chat is restored.
    Really??? It sure didn't work that way for me. I used Link to back up my Z10 and to restore that backup file onto my Z30. No bbm chats came over.

In anticipation that this may happen, I contacted BlackBerry Support and they told me it was not going to transfer the BBM chats over.

Here is the email they sent me:

"Hi Patrick,

Hope all is well for you.

I found some workarounds that can help you restore your BBM chats to your new BlackBerry Passport but please be reminded that these steps that I will provide is not a 100% guarantee that will work however some of the customers that have tried the steps did work for them. Just follow the steps below:

1.) Do not sign into BBID when prompted to by the setup wizard / app, just swipe right to skip it.
    2.) Open BBM, let it sign in and connect to your BBID. Then allow it to COMPLETELY restore what it can. (Everything but open chats) Groups and contacts need to be fully restored before going past this point.
    3.) In BBM settings, turn on 'Save Chat History' (This is a key step)
    4.) Set your BlackBerry to airplane mode and reboot.
    5.) After it's booted, wait 3-5 minutes from when you see the lock screen (DO NOT UNLOCK IT YET), then do your restore from link.
    6.) After device restart, your BBM chat history will be there (both individual chats and group chats)

Hope this will help you."

It should be apparent to all that these suggested steps are pretty much the same advice being doled out here on CB to help people restore their bbm chats after loading a leaked OS onto a BB10 phone, that is, from one phone to the same phone after installing a leaked OS. I tried it but it simply didn't work. When I replied to the BlackBerry support guy, all he could say was sorry and he would escalate the issue internally and he suggested I log it as an issue on icanmakeitbetter... which I've done.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 06:55 PM
    Yeah... correction from my previous post... I just double checked and none of my BBM chat were transferred over from my Z10

Posted via CB10
    asiayeah likes this.
    10-28-14 10:19 PM
    Yeah... correction from my previous post... I just double checked and none of my BBM chat were transferred over from my Z10
    Thanks, Bob, for posting your updated info.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 07:46 AM
    Just tried what was recommended by BlackBerry and it didn't work unfortunately.
    11-26-14 04:17 PM
    It is absolutely ridiculous that BBM chats can't be migrated to new device.

What the h377 are thinking BlackBerry?!!

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 04:21 PM
    Just tried what was recommended by BlackBerry and it didn't work unfortunately.
    That makes 2 of us.

It is absolutely ridiculous that BBM chats can't be migrated to new device.

What the h377 are thinking BlackBerry?!!
    It just seems so counterintuitive.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 09:44 AM
    I definitely like that chats are not stored in the cloud. If I have an important chat I email it to myself and/or my evernote.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 10:46 AM
    I definitely like that chats are not stored in the cloud. If I have an important chat I email it to myself and/or my evernote.

Posted via CB10
    Nobody is suggesting cloud storage. But there is absolutely no reason BBM chats shouldn't be transferable via BlackBerry Link.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-27-14 11:46 AM
    I'm curious to know what business is conducted in a chat that would need a save other than documents which I personally would have downloaded and filed? Don't hate me for not being a businessman just curious. I am not and never will claim to be a power business user of my phone.
    Is there some kind of hidden tax write-off for chats I am missing? If so let me in on it please?

Posted via CB10
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    11-27-14 12:35 PM
    Really??? It sure didn't work that way for me. I used Link to back up my Z10 and to restore that backup file onto my Z30. No bbm chats came over.

In anticipation that this may happen, I contacted BlackBerry Support and they told me it was not going to transfer the BBM chats over.

Here is the email they sent me:

"Hi Patrick,

Hope all is well for you.

I found some workarounds that can help you restore your BBM chats to your new BlackBerry Passport but please be reminded that these steps that I will provide is not a 100% guarantee that will work however some of the customers that have tried the steps did work for them. Just follow the steps below:

1.) Do not sign into BBID when prompted to by the setup wizard / app, just swipe right to skip it.
    2.) Open BBM, let it sign in and connect to your BBID. Then allow it to COMPLETELY restore what it can. (Everything but open chats) Groups and contacts need to be fully restored before going past this point.
    3.) In BBM settings, turn on 'Save Chat History' (This is a key step)
    4.) Set your BlackBerry to airplane mode and reboot.
    5.) After it's booted, wait 3-5 minutes from when you see the lock screen (DO NOT UNLOCK IT YET), then do your restore from link.
    6.) After device restart, your BBM chat history will be there (both individual chats and group chats)

Hope this will help you."

It should be apparent to all that these suggested steps are pretty much the same advice being doled out here on CB to help people restore their bbm chats after loading a leaked OS onto a BB10 phone, that is, from one phone to the same phone after installing a leaked OS. I tried it but it simply didn't work. When I replied to the BlackBerry support guy, all he could say was sorry and he would escalate the issue internally and he suggested I log it as an issue on icanmakeitbetter... which I've done.

Posted via CB10
    The correct answer is...
    1. Create a full backup of old device. Make note of OS version and BBM version (app world)
    2. On new device, ensure os version is equal or greater than the os from the old device
    3. On new device, open app world and update bbm.
    4. Now restore. Choose between a full restore, application data, BBM or system applications

That's the answer..
    bbm data will refuse to restore onto an older version of bbm. You MUST make sure the new vs device is running the latest version of bbm AND that the version is = or greater than the version the backup was created from.

OS 10.3.1.1151: destructive 821 > upg 800 > upg 938 > delta 1016 > upg 10.3.1.1151
    11-27-14 01:06 PM
    The correct answer is...
    1. Create a full backup of old device. Make note of OS version and BBM version (app world)
    2. On new device, ensure os version is equal or greater than the os from the old device
    4. Now restore. Choose between a full restore, application data, BBM or system applications

That's the answer..
    bbm data will refuse to restore onto an older version of bbm. You MUST make sure the new vs device is running the latest version of bbm AND that the version is = or greater than the version the backup was created from.

OS 10.3.1.1151: destructive 821 > upg 800 > upg 938 > delta 1016 > upg 10.3.1.1151
    Yeah, that must be it because I just upgraded from a Z10 to Z30 and the first thing I did with the Z30 was install 10.3.1.1155 that I had on my Z10. My chats moved over fine when I performed the device switch.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    11-27-14 01:36 PM
    The correct answer is...

That's the answer..

Nope, doesn't work that way. Have done it twice to new device running equal or later OS.

It is not possible to migrate chat history.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-27-14 01:50 PM
    Nope, doesn't work that way. Have done it twice to new device running equal or later OS.

It is not possible to migrate chat history.

Posted via CB10
    Lies.

Read my post before streading untruths.. I've done this successfully on every os except for one of the 10.3.1 leaks

YOU HAVE TO OPEN APP WORLD AND UPDATE BBM ON THE NEW DEVICE BEFORE RESTORING
    If the following conditions are met, your chats will be restores, as will your groups.
    1. BBM version on new device is equal or greater than the version the backup was created from
    1.1 in order to meet that condition, you must be restoring onto an equal or greater os version as well.
    1.1.1 the first point is the one that matters. If you've don't update bbm before the restore, bbm won't restore..

Don't believe me?
    1. Create a full backup
    2. Use autoloader to reload current os version
    3. Open app world and update bbm
    4. Do a full restore
    5. Success

I wonder how I know lol

ehsanp likes this.
    11-27-14 05:36 PM
    Lies.

Read my post before spreading untruths. I've done this successfully on every os except for one of the 10.3.1 leaks

YOU HAVE TO OPEN APP WORLD AND UPDATE BBM ON THE NEW DEVICE BEFORE RESTORING
    If the following conditions are met, your chats will be restores, as will your groups.
    1. BBM version on new device is equal or greater than the version the backup was created from
    1.1 in order to meet that condition, you must be restoring onto an equal or greater os version as well.
    1.1.1 the first point is the one that matters. If you've don't update bbm before the restore, bbm won't restore..

Don't believe me?
    1. Create a full backup
    2. Use autoloader to reload current os version
    3. Open app world and update bbm
    4. Do a full restore
    5. Success

I wonder how I know lol
    #1: I wonder why the BlackBerry Support people I called didn't know about your process.

#2: If your process works, I wonder why it has to be that complicated. All my text messages came thru the BlackBerry device switch process.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 11-28-14 at 09:57 AM.
    11-27-14 08:45 PM
    Nobody is suggesting cloud storage. But there is absolutely no reason BBM chats shouldn't be transferable via BlackBerry Link.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. That's really the minimum requirements.

On the other hand, cloud storage would be nice especially it's more cross platform but it may has security concerns. Not everyone wants all their chat history in the cloud I assume.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 09:14 AM
27 12