This might sound dumb on the face of it. However with blackberry world eventually closing shop couldn't we have our own appstore to host BB10 native apps so that people can develop and support apps into the future? There is already F-droid which is similar just for android so I don't see why we couldn't do it for BB10 if there was some interest and enough users.
    10-07-19 12:22 PM
    This might sound dumb on the face of it. However with blackberry world eventually closing shop couldn't we have our own appstore to host BB10 native apps so that people can develop and support apps into the future? There is already F-droid which is similar just for android so I don't see why we couldn't do it for BB10 if there was some interest and enough users.
    Long story short, you can't because of how apps get installed on BB10. You used to be able to circumvent the installation process but BlackBerry killed that long ago - https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...0-14-a-823954/
    10-07-19 01:14 PM
    ugh.... thanks for the information.
    10-07-19 01:22 PM
    Hey doza,

First, Blackberry World may not be closing after all.

Second, stay tuned....there are a number of efforts afoot.
    rarsen likes this.
    10-07-19 06:07 PM
    Hey doza,

First, Blackberry World may not be closing after all.

Second, stay tuned....there are a number of efforts afoot.
    Where did you see anything that’s been announced that BBW isn’t closing?
    10-07-19 08:32 PM
    I have my sources. Don't worry, there will be a full thread about this before too long.
    dozamike likes this.
    10-07-19 08:34 PM
    Several BB10 developers have suggested it. Perhaps they got a memo.
    rarsen likes this.
    10-07-19 08:50 PM
    The only way to install a native app, apart from sideloading, would be to allow an unknown source to acquire elevated privileges on your device via a VPN.
    rarsen likes this.
    10-07-19 08:54 PM
    I mean of course I hope this is true. Until I see some official announcement I will be very skeptical.
    10-07-19 09:02 PM
    BB10 is quite different from other OSs that have enjoyed community support after their EOLs, because BB10 has LOTS of extra security and most of it is directly tied to official BB hardware and services. All this security makes it difficult or impossible to do the kinds of things that have been possible on more open systems like Linux/Android/WebOS.
    rarsen likes this.
    10-07-19 11:06 PM
    I mean of course I hope this is true. Until I see some official announcement I will be very skeptical.
    If they "feel" there is a need to keep supporting BB10... what's keeping the App Store server up an running going to cost them?
    10-09-19 07:15 AM
    I don't see why we couldn't do it for BB10 if there was some interest and enough users.
    Fundamental technical differences between Android and BB10 aside, that's a big if.
    10-09-19 08:13 AM
    If they "feel" there is a need to keep supporting BB10... what's keeping the App Store server up an running going to cost them?
    Given the infrastructure they have, it's negligible.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-09-19 11:24 AM
    Given the infrastructure they have, it's negligible.
    Agree... I think the plan was two years ago to end BB10... totally at this point.

Now they feel there would be enough of a negative impact that they aren't ready to do it. So no reason to shutdown BBW at this point... it's all static so other then a certificate going bad every now and then... just not a big deal.
    10-09-19 11:43 AM
    Is there a possibility that Android will buy the BBW and continue the support?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-19 03:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    nope nadda zip zilch zero
    archdenn likes this.
    10-11-19 03:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hey archdenn,

Android (Google) will definitely not buy Blackberry World, but do not be alarmed. In addition to the devs releasing their apps and in contrast to some of the other reactions on this thread, there is evidence to suggest BBW will be kept in "static mode" after 12/31 so apps will continue to be available. Devs will no longer be able to update existing apps or release new ones (through BBW), but current apps will remain available.

Combined with Blackberry Limited's repeated statements committing to supporting BB10, you should be okay for some time to come. You will no doubt see statements to the contrary here and elsewhere on CB, but please do not be concerned and rest easy in the knowledge that BB10 services and apps are not going anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    archdenn likes this.
    10-11-19 03:33 PM
    Hey archdenn,

Android (Google) will definitely not buy Blackberry World, but do not be alarmed. In addition to the devs releasing their apps and in contrast to some of the other reactions on this thread, there is evidence to suggest BBW will be kept in "static mode" after 12/31 so apps will continue to be available. Devs will no longer be able to update existing apps or release new ones (through BBW), but current apps will remain available.

Combined with Blackberry Limited's repeated statements committing to supporting BB10, you should be okay for some time to come. You will no doubt see statements to the contrary here and elsewhere on CB, but please do not be concerned and rest easy in the knowledge that BB10 services and apps are not going anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    I'm actually not worried at all because rest assured BB10 is here to stay. It's just a random thinking before bedtime.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-19 03:59 PM