They did with the PlayBook. Why does it have to go through carriers?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 08:47 AM
    Because BB10 devices are connected to the carriers network and therefore they have the final authority on all devices that connect and what software those devices may run.
    11-18-13 08:54 AM
    If the updates caused a problem with the carrier's network there would be consequences for BlackBerry.

Anybody remember when the Rogers network crashed for half a day a few weeks ago? They said it was software related. It is for this reason the carriers test first before releasing anything that interacts with their networks.
    11-18-13 10:03 AM
    Robsteve

Can you clarify? Does the radio need testing or the entire OS package? Also, why doesn't this rule apply to Apple too?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 10:12 AM
    Robsteve

Can you clarify? Does the radio need testing or the entire OS package? Also, why doesn't this rule apply to Apple too?

Posted via CB10
    It does apply to Apple. They are just better at orchestrating a release across all carriers. Many have said this is because of the market share they hold, and that could be true. But I think it has more to do with the fact that they were initially only available through one carrier, and when others wanted to carry the iPhone Apple used that leverage to get a better deal. However they did it, when/if BlackBerry market share gets close to iPhone, we may get the same treatment.
    11-18-13 10:37 AM
    Thanks Richard but to rephrase my question, why does it take weeks/months to test and approve a radio file to ensure compatibility, or does the carrier need to test the entire OS? It kind of sounds like the latter.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 12:26 PM
    Remember, the carriers have no particular interest in pushing out OS updates. If you want new features, they would rather you just go ahead and update the hardware with them. These updates probably result in a certain number of bricked phones and customer support calls that they would just rather not deal with. So, if you're waiting for the carriers to streamline the process then good luck with that.
    11-18-13 12:31 PM
    Thanks heymaggie

Personally i'm a firm believer in leaks, even if one were screwy, it wouldn't be long before another leak came along to fix it.

But I notice there are many in the community who have there own reasons for not loading leaks and miss some enhanced features due to the long lag time.

My main gripe is with TMO not addressing WiFi calling as the reception in my house stinks...

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 01:13 PM
    Carriers are the first level support for all their customers, regardless of the make of the phone. So yes they test the whole OS, train (supposedly) the help desk people and then add in their own problem causing bloatware. Probably should have surrounded that with sarcasm tags.

Could they do it faster? Certainly if they are motivated. Most Canadian carriers have new OS updates for BB10 available within hours of the official release time. If your carrier can't keep up, maybe you need to motivate them. But that will be hard if less than 3% of their customer base has the phones and only a small fraction of them complain about update delays.

There are a number of ways to get the official OS before your carrier releases it. You could explore some of those options.

Edit:

Oh and correct me if I'm wrong, but except for the bug fixes which seem to be coming pretty frequently on iOS 7 doesn't Apple provide only a single update per year? BB10 has had 4 fairly significant updates since February: 10.0 -> 10.0.9 -> 10.1 -> 10.1 MR -> 10.2 and we should have 10.2.1 out before the platform is a year old.
    11-18-13 01:48 PM
    We shouldn't complain: we had more feature updates than apple had in 5 years and to my knowledge, android phones never gets any updates. And BlackBerry 10 is less than a year old.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 01:57 PM